overwhelming mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatoni

Reaction score
is it just me or do all your guitars sound the same out of this thing? luckily i like the tones but its just no matter what woods/pickups i have it all sounds so similar

I had the same problem with my mark IV, that's why I got rid of it. It's a great sounding amp, but it always sounds like a Mark IV, where I can make my DR and Mark III's sound like anything depending on the guitar.

maybe it has something to do with it being extremely compressed? thats how i feel my tone is anyways out of my IV.

I don't have a problem getting a guitar's character to come thru my Mark IV. Tho I guess I can imagine how someone could do so...crank the gain and the volume then suck out all the mids and I can easily see it happening - on any amp.

guitardude05 said:
maybe it has something to do with it being extremely compressed?

Ditto. I think this would be the perfect amp for me if there was a remove compression option.

With the amount of gain on my MKIV I think things start to sound the same. R1 shows some of the character of the guitar and R2 when set for a good crunch can bring out the best in some guitars.

Scott

Hi guys, my first post on here !!!
I wouldn't say the Mk IV is much more compressed than my single rectifier, it has more 'body' and 'chunk' to the tone and has less extreme high end, but it needs a 4x12 to 'breathe' properly. I use mine with a 1x12 for rehearsals and it sounds almost strangled in comparison. But then so does the Single Rectifier actually. Answer : use a Recto 4x12 !!!

:D

do the Recto 4x12's really make that much of a difference? Right now I'm using a Peavey 5150 cab with Sheffields. My last cab was basically the same thing, but with a metal grill. so...my ears are used to the Sheffields. everytime Im at shows and I see another band with Recto heads, they always seem to sound sweeter than my Mark IV (to my ears) and I keep wanting that Recto sound for metal, but then I think "everyone has the Recto tone these days..."

Speaker cabs make a huge difference, not only in tone but volume too. A cab with V30's sounds a lot louder per watt than a cab with Greenbacks for instance. A MkIV through a recto 4x12 sounds like a MKIV SHOULD sound. My single rectifier sounds sweet, but the MKIV sounds sweeter in every way. In both cases you have to dial them carefully to taste and it can take a while.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Speaker cabs make a huge difference, not only in tone but volume too. A cab with V30's sounds a lot louder per watt than a cab with Greenbacks for instance. A MkIV through a recto 4x12 sounds like a MKIV SHOULD sound. My single rectifier sounds sweet, but the MKIV sounds sweeter in every way. In both cases you have to dial them carefully to taste and it can take a while.
man, my MkIV gets too loud as it is!!! :lol:

i feel like im not even getting its full tonal spectrum because its TOO LOUD at practice with Master Output at 2, and seperate channel volumes only at 3.

bryan_kilco said:
i feel like im not even getting its full tonal spectrum because its TOO LOUD at practice with Master Output at 2, and seperate channel volumes only at 3.

Same here, wish I could crank it a bit more.

fatoni said:
is it just me or do all your guitars sound the same out of this thing? luckily i like the tones but its just no matter what woods/pickups i have it all sounds so similar

Nope. Each of my guitars sound different through my Mark IV.

im gonna try new tubes in the near future. hopefully that will spice things up

It seems that people are grumbling about two opposite things here. The guys who want to lose the compression (put it on full power, pentode, etc and turn the gain down) and the guys who say its too loud (put it on tweed power, triode, harmonics).

stoz said:
It seems that people are grumbling about two opposite things here. The guys who want to lose the compression (put it on full power, pentode, etc and turn the gain down) and the guys who say its too loud (put it on tweed power, triode, harmonics).

That boys good!

stoz said:

Switching to Class A knocks it down from 85 watts to 50 watts alone. In triode it's then down to 30 watts and in tweed ????? If that's too loud, buy an acoustic !!!! :lol:

fatoni said:

try using as little gain as you can

Back