Overkill Rig tonight!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesieBooga

Reaction score
I'm using 2 IIC+ combo's each plugged into a Mesa Standard (larger size) 4x12.

I'm using what I feel is the best A/B/Y box right now; the Radial Switchbone. It has a 180 degrees phase reversal switch, tuner out/Mute, adjustable gain boost, and a selectable Mid Boost! Not to mention the cool DRAG control! ( to bring the tone back to a good feel from the buffer.)

Total overkill for this small bar were playing, but I usually sidewash the cabs anyway. (they are mic'ed up too!) And I won't be using them at the same time. But I just got a KILLER 'nother IIC+ Blond combo that I want to try out with my main Mahogany Killer tone combo. (wish I had some head shells for them) :D

MesieBooga,

Have you considered an after market head shell.
Here are a couple of links:

Bob Burt: http://www.bobburtcabinets.com/

Vintage Boogie: http://www.vintageboogie.com/

I've never used either of these guys.
Bob Burt has a great reputation on "The Gear Page" board, but Vintage Boogie seems to have better prices.

I got my 2x12 from Sultone. It took forever to get the cabinet so I wouldn't use him again, but the quality is outstanding.

Chris... 8)

Here is a Pic of my cabinet:
2x12_frontsmall.jpg

That's so nice (the cab). So -- how different would my 2C+ combo be with an additional 12 cab? How would you characterise the changes in sound/tone, volume, etc....

Brewski,

Boogiebabies is correct, EVM-12L's

Dasein

I don't usually run an extension cab with my combo's. I would expect that it would just be louder and fuller. If I need louder and fuller I just use the Triaxis rig. I will also usually use the Triaxis rig for most all gigs. The Triaxis rig is so very versitile that I can cover all bases with it. But if a gig is just a straight up small Rock'n Roll gig or I'm playing at church or I'm rehearsing I'll just take one of my Mark III combos. I actually have two now because I just leave one at church. I got tied of carrying one in every Sunday (they are heavy).

I use to use Mesa Thiele cabinets with the Triaxis rig but recently I've been looking for a more surrounding sound. The Thieles were very directional and drummers used to even complain that they couldn't hear me.

With the semi-open back (oval hole), I get most of the deepness that a closed back cab offers, plus I get the surrounding sound (I think everyone refers to this as open or 3-D sounding) of an open back cab. Drummers seem to like it as well. They can hear me with out getting their heads taken off sitting behind a fully open back cab.

Chris... 8)

They have two very similar websites (Vintageboogie and Fenderboogie).
http://www.fenderboogie.com/
The contact email is the same on both, unfortunately.

I've been thinking about getting into the cabinet-making hobby, but I would go for a more "factory-original" appearance instead of the aftermarket look. The trick will be finding the time, and finding a decent supplier of Imubya and figured maple.

MesieBooga,

Sorry about that, that's what I get for posting a website of someone I don't know.

Here is a list of cabinet makers that is posted over at "The Gear Page":
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77915

Cabinet makers that use the dove tail method though (like a boogie hardwood) are hard to find.

Good luck... Chris

My Sultone isn't dove tailed, but I still dig it.

I was pretty set on a dove tailed hardwood cab as well until I found out what the hardwood cab makers wanted for a dove tailed cab. Might as well get a Boogie cab.

The Sultone that I have looks awesome and I've found that the Mahogany and Maple combination has a very balanced tone. I would highly recommend going the "two different kinds of wood" route.

Of course I won't know for 20 or 30 years whether or not the lap joints will hold up, by then I'll be too old to carry it any way... :(

Maybe one of my boys will get the cab and he can try and bust it up. Of course by then every one will be using in ear monitors with modelling amps... :shock:

Chris... 8)

I'll still be using the Studio Series I bought in 1985 when I was 16 years old. I'm sure it will outlive me and still sound good.

For playing live, I'm all for making things as compact & lightweight as possible. That's why I have a Vox Tonelab SE. It's the only modeler that has any kind of real tube feel to it. There is certainly room for improvement, but I think that in a few more years, the modelers are going to sound and feel real enough to where we can't tell the difference blindfolded.

The key to making a perfect modeler is going to be in the simulation of the power amp stage (including modelling the response of the transformer and speaker). I think Vox is currently winning that race with the 12AX7 output circuit they have on the Tonelabs.

Latest posts

Back