Ordering tomorrow: Stiletto Ace Combo.. *ORDERED!*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure and let us know how the 50W factors into the loudness of the amp too!

Platy...the Ace here is calling me...more than the Rivera...must resist...

You saying how well it sounded with your LP makes me really anxious to see how it sounds with my PRS CU24!

Plus, every time I see the green/tan, it just gives me some kind of warm fuzzy all over.

When you have the channels set to crunch, are they pretty open sounding, or do they get compressed like a lot of other Mesas?

nosajwp said:
Make sure and let us know how the 50W factors into the loudness of the amp too!

Platy...the Ace here is calling me...more than the Rivera...must resist...

You saying how well it sounded with your LP makes me really anxious to see how it sounds with my PRS CU24!

Plus, every time I see the green/tan, it just gives me some kind of warm fuzzy all over.

When you have the channels set to crunch, are they pretty open sounding, or do they get compressed like a lot of other Mesas?

GET IT! :D It's seriously one of the most fun amps I've ever played.

And to add insult to injury, I demoed it on my PRS Custom 22 as well and it was f' ridiculously good... not as good as the LP but my CU22 is modern.

I'm the same way about green, I was going to order that color scheme for my Dual Rec but it was too expensive to be worth it.

The crunch thing, there really isn't a setting on this amp that sounds too compressed unless your output volume is too low. In fact, the Crunch is one of the coolest choices on either channel.. the amp itself is VERY touch sensitive, so awesome, you play light, it plays quiet.. you thrash it, it obeys perfectly with no mucking with your guitar volumes. This is especially true in the Crunch mode and the Fat clean mode.. you can get that great Fender Deluxe Reverb 'wallop' sound out of it on the Fat Clean..

This amp is loud as piss man, my output volume was on 10 o clock today and the room was shaking, literally... the louder it goes, the more it purrs beautifully.

To answer your question from last time, the volume control, esp on the LP, only adds glaze/gain to your sound, not volume.. so awesome.

This truly is a set it and forget it amp, I've got my classic clean tones, fenderesque thump, CRUNCHY plexi tones on one channel, and JCM800 aggression and mid spank absolutely drenched in harmonic overtones on the other.

Do yourself a favor and go play one, I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks for all the info man. Sounds pretty sweet! The one thing I disliked about my DC-10 was how the lead channel would get so compressed at higher gain settings (sounded good, but had NO dynamics), and at lower gain settings, it just sounded terrible.

It will be interesting to see how the OCD does with it. Having a Marshally OD running into a Marshally amp may be a bit too Marshally, but we'll see. Might just be a good reason to pick up a TIM (I hear they work well with all types of amps)!!

I'm definately planning on trying it out tomorrow afternoon.

dammit!!! all this talk bout the Ace.

I'm gonna break down really soon and head over to mesa Hollywood and pick up the Ace head. been on my mind ever since i tried it a couple months ago.

No doubt, my Roadster hasn't even arrived yet and I'm thinking my next amp might be a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo for a two amp setup. The clips I've heard sound really nice.

Hey neighbor. Well I looked for the others but this is all I could find...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=509975

The more I think about my interest in distortion tones, I'd like to consider something like a Diezel VH4 one day. Bit pricey though and no 1x12 combo available.

I recently posted this on Gear Page...
I've owned an Ace 1x12 for two months now, and once owned a Mark IV with the Thiele 2x12 Cab. And more recently was running a 5150 through a rectifier bottom. Initially, I was struggling to achieve the sounds I knew were in the Stiletto. But like any Mesa, time spent with the amp, eventually paid off. I've now gigged in different situations, with equal success. The versatility afforded with the 6 voicings provided, across the two channels and the ability to tube or solid state rectify the respective channels, has proved to be very versatile and effective. For almost all of my needs, playing your typical classic rock to newer stuff, the crunch channel is plenty. When I need a clean sound I just flip the voicing switch on channel 1 to tite clean. I have found a nice happy medium with channel 2's fluid gain, I'm able to get a really nice, heavy (almost recto, but tighter bass end) sound. Think Master of Puppets, or Cult of personality with EL34 Grind, maybe even Stryper from Soldiers Under Command, I believ they were using the Quad preamp in those days, or a more cutting Zakk Wylde No Rest for the Wicked. Coming from the buzzy over gained sound of the 5150, I was Sure the Crunch channel wouldn't be enough, but because of it's inherent qualities, I've gained a new respect for MUCH less gain. This thing cuts through the mix so easily... and I don't think any thing is set past 12 o'clock, except the gain which is around 1 o'clock. Because of the 5 year warranty, the aesthetics, 50 watt rating, casters, and maybe for me, most importantly, the SOLO function, this amp has no peer. Plus you can bypass the SOLO to get a non master function out of it as well. As can be attested by just about anybody on this board, an EL34 power amp section will challenge you to step up your playing and technique...but the effort is well worth the payoff. That being said, I know the sounds are in the stiletto for which you are searching, the 85 pounds with the 1x12 is daunting, But every sound I've achieved is quite beautiful to my ears. Once I make the time I'll post some clips of it. PS...I still wake up at night in a cold sweat over jettisoning the Mark IV... :cry: ugh.

You know, With the whole gain issue...I feel like I wasted my twenties! In just the last 5 years or so, the info I've found on the web from sites like this and just lurking has been invaluable, and I'm so thankful that Mesa took it upon themselves to address the el 34 phenomenon. I know the Stiletto won't be for everybody, but It would have been tough to convince me otherwise just 7 or 8 years ago too. Three things for all ye who can't seem to get that sound...1...LESS gain. 2...More mids........!!! 3...LESS bass. It seems I repeat this ad nauseum. But it must be addressed, together we will rid this world of foul tone!!!

Back