Ordering tomorrow: Stiletto Ace Combo.. *ORDERED!*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
So if tomorrow I like this amp as much as I did the week before (always give myself a week when I'm blown away by a piece of gear, and with one of my personal guitars this time) I am going to order it.

Problem: I cannot choose how many speakers, 1 or 2. I have debated this over and over and here are my concerns/comments:

1x12:
Tighter bass response
Lighter
Cheaper

2x12:
Bigger sound
More gig friendly
Heavier

I'm REALLY WORRIED about running out of headroom with one speaker... I have a 1x12 combo right now and I feel like it gets way too compressed but I don't really think it's the speaker as much as the amp. Can someone please give me some practical advice on this?

I want to gig with it in the future but for now it's a home amp until I start gigging again. I think I read that the 2x12 is 100lbs!

boogieboard, I beg of you, help me choose.

Seems that small amps with one speaker are all the rage now. I see them used by bands everywhere. You can always put a mic in front of your single speaker and run it through the PA.

My 2 cents worth, however, I haven't gigged in years.

ylo said:
Seems that small amps with one speaker are all the rage now. I see them used by bands everywhere. You can always put a mic in front of your single speaker and run it through the PA.

My 2 cents worth, however, I haven't gigged in years.

This is exactly what I've seen too.. my issue is that I have an Orange Rocker and after a certain value on the gain control it just becomes compressed... I don't know if this is a limitation of the speaker or the amp itself. It's the first 1x12 I've owned.

Plat... you lucky *******! :D Just stick w/ the 1X12. You can always bring and extra cab for those gigs where you need the headroom. There are plenty of speaker outs on the back of it.

Guitarzan said:
Plat... you lucky *******! :D Just stick w/ the 1X12. You can always bring and extra cab for those gigs where you need the headroom. There are plenty of speaker outs on the back of it.

This was my other thought, I have a 2x12 recto cab I could always use incase I need more.

Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:

This was my other thought, I have a 2x12 recto cab I could always use incase I need more.

You're good to go! Enjoy and make some samples when you get it for us to hear.

Guitarzan said:
Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the 1x12 simply for portability. That little sucker was loud as hell too.. can't imagine the head version into a 4x12 :shock:

Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:
Platypus said:

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the 1x12 simply for portability. That little sucker was loud as hell too.. can't imagine the head version into a 4x12 :shock:

Oh the glorious tones it must produce... :twisted:

Platypus said:
So if tomorrow I like this amp as much as I did the week before (always give myself a week when I'm blown away by a piece of gear, and with one of my personal guitars this time) I am going to order it.

Problem: I cannot choose how many speakers, 1 or 2. I have debated this over and over and here are my concerns/comments:

1x12:
Tighter bass response
Lighter
Cheaper

2x12:
Bigger sound
More gig friendly
Heavier

I'm REALLY WORRIED about running out of headroom with one speaker... I have a 1x12 combo right now and I feel like it gets way too compressed but I don't really think it's the speaker as much as the amp. Can someone please give me some practical advice on this?

I want to gig with it in the future but for now it's a home amp until I start gigging again. I think I read that the 2x12 is 100lbs!

boogieboard, I beg of you, help me choose.

Sounds like you are settled on a combo . I used to use combos exclusively but after i started using heads and ext. cabs i was hooked . You can dial your sound in a good bit more . The new stiletto 2X12 is way smaller than the recto 2X12 . I realize its two pieces but they both would be less weight than the combo .

blaaaaaaah

I can't decide :(

Barry -> I am usually a head/cab guy but the simplicity of throwing a combo into my car with a guitar, not having to f' with cables, etc, and the fact that I LOVE when a combo amp vibrates make me sold on a combo for sure... just don't know what to do speaker wise.

edit: and fyi, the stiletto cab is the old recto traditional cab renamed.

I'd go with the 1x12, it's nice to have a jamming, practice, and gigging amp in one package. Especially since you already have the extra cab! If you didn't have the cab I'd go with the 2x12 just due to the $$ in buying an extra cab, but you already have that ... hmm, hope that was clear?

Platypus said:
blaaaaaaah

Barry -> I am usually a head/cab guy but the simplicity of throwing a combo into my car with a guitar, not having to f' with cables, etc, and the fact that I LOVE when a combo amp vibrates make me sold on a combo for sure... just don't know what to do speaker wise.

Go for the combo , however you are wrong about the 2X12 cab being the old recto cab . The Stiletto 2X12 cab is at my local dealer and in the new catalog. 13 lbs. lighter They show the dimensions as well in the new catalog. It really is much smaller

with two speakers the sound isn"t that "stressed" and at the limit so soon. anyway the back of the "combo" is closed so its not a real combo from the definition - its actually a cab with one or two 12" speaker.

i prefer (reliability, sound and volume) the 2x12 version. somebody wrote there is always a chance to put another cab under it, why not, if its a matter of transportation or weight.

i own two of the 2x12" versions and have found what i was looking for

by the way, is there a chance with the serial numbers to check when they were build and which number in the production line the amps are?

so long!

Barry said:
Platypus said:
blaaaaaaah

Go for the combo , however you are wrong about the 2X12 cab being the old recto cab . The Stiletto 2X12 cab is at my local dealer and in the new catalog. 13 lbs. lighter They show the dimensions as well in the new catalog. It really is much smaller

Interesting, that's what someone from Mesa told me when I called and asked about it last week.

edit: I think I know why.. there never was a trad version of the 2x12 so it's going to obviously be different sized.

Platypus said:
Barry said:
Platypus said:
blaaaaaaah

Interesting, that's what someone from Mesa told me when I called and asked about it last week.

edit: I think I know why.. there never was a trad version of the 2x12 so it's going to obviously be different sized.

Good observation . It probably is in the same way of design as the 4X12 traditional cab . Thats the cab i use and I love it . It really made a huge difference in my rig. Im not into the standard recto cab . I dont go for all that over accentuated low end. Not my cup of tea . The Stiletto 2X12 is 48 lbs and the recto version is 61 lbs . Its also much smaller dimensions . But it doesnt sound small i assure you . I wished you could demo it . Try some mahogany based humbucker guitar with it . It loves my Les Paul ! Good luck on whatever you choose . It going to sound killer either way .

I'd get the 2x12. You'd have a lot more volume on tap, plus a nice semi-stereo spread.

Since the cabs are the same for both, the only weight you'd be gaining would be the second speaker, which would only be about 10 pounds or less. To me it would be worth the extra back pain.

I ordered it!

This amp absolutely SLAYED with my 58 Les Paul.. holy crap I'm still laughing at how good it sounded.

I got the Emerald/Bronco 2x12 combo! Decided that there's not THAT much difference between them and for 100 bucks I might as well get another speaker, also I already have a 1x12 combo.

All my favorite amps have been 2x12 combos, Fenders, Riveras, etc so it just made sense.

Now the long wait :(

I'm so stoked!

Platypus said:
I ordered it!

This amp absolutely SLAYED with my 58 Les Paul.. holy crap I'm still laughing at how good it sounded.

I got the Emerald/Bronco 2x12 combo! Decided that there's not THAT much difference between them and for 100 bucks I might as well get another speaker, also I already have a 1x12 combo.

All my favorite amps have been 2x12 combos, Fenders, Riveras, etc so it just made sense.

I'm so stoked!

You will be a happy man when it arrives . The les paul fits like a glove with the Stiletto amps . I off to do a gig to do just that . Link up my Les paul and deuce .

Barry said:
Platypus said:
I ordered it!

I'm so stoked!

You will be a happy man when it arrives . The les paul fits like a glove with the Stiletto amps . I off to do a gig to do just that . Link up my Les paul and deuce .

I was flat out laughing while playing it.. that pair is jsut a DREAM together.. especially the cleans.. it does that great clean spank that LP's jazzy clean tones are known for.. I don't know if I can wait 3-4 months :D

GL with your gig! Thanks for the advice

Back