opinions on the DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddmann28

Reaction score
Who has one or had one, pros cons? I'm seriously looking at buying one tonight.

How are the Cleans, the dirty?

I'm looking for SRV to Aerosmith / Cheap trick, VH to ZZ top, to .38 special to Skynard and back to the Beatles / stones.

Will a DC-3 cover this much ground or should I hold out for a DC 5?

Thanks!

I have one - combo - and presume that's what you're asking about. It's a very versatile amp. I've posted before about this amp, so if you do a search you'll find quite a lot of info. It's an EL84 amp which some people seem to love, and others don't so much. I love it. It has a nice chime to it. As far as the "pros", I think they are (1) that it's really compact and very east to transport; (2) it's got 2 completely independent channels; (3) it's got the whole "stealth" thing going - people are not going to believe what great tone and incredible volume you can get out of such a small package; and (4) in my experience it's been very reliable. It will also go very nicely with a 4x12 if you ever have the opportunity to do that.

It's rated at 35 watts, which seems to be plenty for most situations I'm involved in, and frankly if you need more volume, you should be micing up. I know guys who have the DC-5, so I know how they sound, and it's similar, but the DC-5 seems to be a bit more bottom-end heavy, and obviously, at 50 watts, there's a bit more headroom in the DC-5.

As far as the DC-3's clean and overdrive sounds go, it's a winner all around from my perspective. You can get spanking clean, or add more gain to get some fur in there. And the clean channel is surprisingly loud. Can be nice and jangly with a strat, and pairs well with a tele as well. The overdive is good too, and I think it will get you where you want to be based on the bands you mentioned. Also, with the graphic eq you have a lot of overall control over the aggressiveness of the overdrive channel. It does the creamy Boogie solo sound very nicely.

I highly recommend this amp. It's a great little package that works well from bedroom to most medium sized rooms.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back