Opinions on Best 2X12 Cab for Stiletto Deuce?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've got a Deuce II on its way and I'm looking for some opinions on what would be the best 2X12 to complement the amp. I know Mesa makes Stiletto cabinets, but I want to know what everyone's experiences were. 4X12's are out of the question now because I want to be able to move the stuff around easily.

Seems like recto 2X12's are readily available at many stores.

Some bands I like which may influence the cabinet choice:
-Zeppelin
-Dream Theater
-Radiohead
-Porcupine Tree

Thanks in advance.

I use 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 Roadster cabs with the Ace. The Roadster cab is the same as the Stiletto cab, just has a different colored piping on the grill. Can't comment on the difference b/w that and the 2 x 12 recto which is bigger, but I can tell you I'm happy with the 2 x 12 Roadster. Very loud, very well built, sounds great to me and I'm mostly a classic rock player. I put a slight delay on my sound to make it a touch "bigger", and when mic'd on stage, the cabs always sound bigger out front. I like the size too and since Mesa made the thing for Stiletto's/Roadsters, it has to be good right? I keep one cab at home for practice, the other at the rehearsal space, and just transport the head back & forth. I use both cabs for a gig.

Thanks dude. I think I could be mostly described as having a "classic rock" sound, but there are times when I get into "light" metal and I'd like to have a tighter bottom end.

It sounds great with the Stiletto 2x12. But also sounds pretty good with the Recto (if you like more low end)

I think you could describe this as a "tighter" sounding cabinet given the smaller size and V30s. A little "middy" sounding. I can't say I liked the Stiletto 4x12 any better than the Stiletto 2x12 or any better than the combo when I tried them. Of course it goes without saying the best thing to do is a/b them side by side but the Stiletto/Roadster cabs can be hard to find. Great name - Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records. "Just kick my ***, would you? Just go ahead and kick my ***".

I'll be heading to the stores this weekend to try some out.

Glad someone picks up on the reference.

"Kick this *** for a man. I'm not asking, I'm telling!"

When I purchased my Deuce II I got the Stiletto 2x12 cabinet.
About a year later I bought a 2x12 Recto cabinet which I now prefer.
It just has a bigger sound to it. I know it’s dumb but I hated how small the Stiletto cab looked with the head sitting on top of it, almost the same size. I still have it and use it at home just for something different to play through.

Gotta love that Spinal Tap!

Thanks for the offer Vigo1999.
I’m going to hang on to it for now. I’m thinking about buying another amp some day to pair up with it. I can then keep it at my bands practice space so I don't have to lug my around every week.
Besides, having more gear than I really need sitting around the house drives my wife crazy. I kind of enjoy that. Ha!

Just cool RB! 8)

yeah, sometimes lug around our stuff is a pain in the arse . . . as great sounding as my EV cabs can get, they are pretty darn heavy :(

ha, dont say about wife going crazy . . . right now mine is at our beach house and yet to see the beautiful PRS that's hangin on the wall that wasnt there when she left . . . :lol: 8) im already seeing her :? :shock: face . . . LOL!! :wink:

tk good care my brother! rock on! 8)

I ran a rear-loaded Diezel 2X12 w/ V30's that smoked. It was the biggest sounding 2X12 I have personally heard. Several bands that I played with actually preferred it to their Marshall 1960A 4X12's and Mesa 4X12's. It had just enough low-end, but stayed tight and was obviously much more portable.

Unfortunately, they are obviously more difficult to come by than Mesa products, but are well worth it on the used market.

Riff Blister said:
When I purchased my Deuce II I got the Stiletto 2x12 cabinet.
About a year later I bought a 2x12 Recto cabinet which I now prefer.
It just has a bigger sound to it. I know it’s dumb but I hated how small the Stiletto cab looked with the head sitting on top of it, almost the same size. I still have it and use it at home just for something different to play through.

Gotta love that Spinal Tap!

I went the other way around.....I thought that while the Recto sounded really good at home, in the band mix there was too much lowend and it wasn't cutting the I way I liked. The Stiletto cab solved that problem. Plus I love the small form factor as it is easier to squeeze in some of the smaller stages I play in. I play in a sometimes 12 member band and space is always at a premium.

When I got my Deuce, the only cabs they had were Recto cabs. I didn't like the sound of it. It sounded muffled and boomy. I then got a Stiletto cab and I liked it a lot more.

I traded the recto cab for a Road King cab and it sounds better than the recto cab, but I think I prefer the Stiletto cab.

I have an Avatar Vintage 2x12 with a V30 and G12H in it being delivered this Friday. I'll see how that sounds too.

hey gumby,i have the avatar cab you are getting,i use it with my stiletto i like the sound .but i never tried any other cabs with my amp.im curious to know which you prefer the stiletto or the avatar,let me know when you get a chance.

thank mike

Back