Operation 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
Haven't acquired a 4x12 yet for my Dual Rect. See I'm on this kick of trying to pick up the same gear as my guitar hero. he's using a Harry Kolbe 4x12 cab that costs around $2000. Can't really afford that so Harry Kolbe talked me into his 1x12's instead. Well the sound tapers off rather quickly if you know what I mean. No sustain is the problem, I complain about this all the time and never even play my guitar because of it. Through deductive reasoning I've been troubleshooting what it could possibly be. Replaced pickups, had electrical wiring improved, tried all kinds of guitar strings and picks lol. Anyways my bud allowed me to plug into his Dual Rect and 4x12 Marshall. Seems that the 4x12 is what I lack and have been reading all kinds of threads on here about various kinds. Everyone is really particular when it comes to kinds/types of speakers etc... Wish I could be in such a position to notice the nuances between each. But I believe that any of them will be fine just so long as they sustain. You understand what i'm talking about so far? See being that my speakers die of so quickly I feel the need to fill the void with delay, reverb effects. I mean I want to sit there holding a bend and just ease back enjoying the moment. Instead it dies off and I'm forced to play. Hope I didn't bore you with all this. Avatar cabs are what I"m looking into right now and thats about it.
Ken

i think any celestion will work well for you. tone tubby's are very good from what i hear also (santana, that man invented sustain!).

However, not to bash on your equipment, but i'm a FIRM believer that sustain is ALL in the guitar! Have you ever picked up a guitar that just holds a note forever, and then you pick up another one that can't even put out a decent chord? The construction and woods all go toward the sustain of a guitar, with the construction having a slightly greater effect.

For example, a PRS with a Brazilian neck will sustain forever because BRZ just resonates that way. A McNaught guitar with a neck-thru neck will sustain the most out of any guitar out there. The amp I feel just acts as a conductor of what the guitar is doing. The amp can only color the sound different ways, but in the end it is what it is: an amplifier! it amplifies the guitar's sound.

I'm not sure about what you're playing, but maybe your rig is good and there's no need to change speakers or amp. It may be the guitar. Try testing out some other guitars and see what you find.

I considered it to be my guitar for a long time. Despite it coming from someone with a bad business rep its still a nice guitar. Anyways, I had it looked over and wiring inspected and repaired, pickups etc... its not the guitar. You know, I plugged it into this 4x12 and this is what my system lacks. Just must be that the Dual needs some speakers that can breathe in a cabinet. Thats makes sense doesn't it? I mean, you can see how these 1x12's won't behave like a 4x12 does?
Ken
Btw: Prior to testing his 4x12 I did try out various other guitars through my system and my guitar won hands down. What I mean to say is nothing stood out as a telltale sign to what could possibly be diminishing my speaker tone.

MichiganboySB said:
Haven't acquired a 4x12 yet for my Dual Rect. See I'm on this kick of trying to pick up the same gear as my guitar hero. he's using a Harry Kolbe 4x12 cab that costs around $2000. Can't really afford that so Harry Kolbe talked me into his 1x12's instead. Well the sound tapers off rather quickly if you know what I mean. No sustain is the problem, I complain about this all the time and never even play my guitar because of it. Through deductive reasoning I've been troubleshooting what it could possibly be. Replaced pickups, had electrical wiring improved, tried all kinds of guitar strings and picks lol. Anyways my bud allowed me to plug into his Dual Rect and 4x12 Marshall. Seems that the 4x12 is what I lack and have been reading all kinds of threads on here about various kinds. Everyone is really particular when it comes to kinds/types of speakers etc... Wish I could be in such a position to notice the nuances between each. But I believe that any of them will be fine just so long as they sustain. You understand what i'm talking about so far? See being that my speakers die of so quickly I feel the need to fill the void with delay, reverb effects. I mean I want to sit there holding a bend and just ease back enjoying the moment. Instead it dies off and I'm forced to play. Hope I didn't bore you with all this. Avatar cabs are what I"m looking into right now and thats about it.
Ken

Bigger fret wire will also help with sustain .

Back