Once again I'm doubting the V30's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elixir

Reaction score
Ever since I got these 2x12's i've been doubting them. I had them with the Mark IV and i didn't like it, now I have it with the Roadster and it still doesn't sit well with me.

I love my Roadster but It's just too brittle with the V30's. It just doesn't work with my ears. I do not like BRITTLE and I DO NOT LIKE FIZ

Can someone recommend something decent please! I hear the C90's aren't bad.

Are you gigging them? Or is this a home rig?

Also, how many hours of loud playing do you have on them? I find new speakers need about 5-8 hours before they start to soften up, and another 20-70 hours before they full break in.

screamingdaisy said:
Are you gigging them? Or is this a home rig?

Also, how many hours of loud playing do you have on them? I find new speakers need about 5-8 hours before they start to soften up, and another 20-70 hours before they full break in.

Hmm. loud playing? not sure.

I bought this cab used, not sure how many hours the previous owner had on them.

I'm with ya dude. All the amps I have ever had sounded like pure dog *** with v30's G12t-75's are where it's at for me. Much fuller sounding with out the annoying peaks.

Elixir said:
Ever since I got these 2x12's i've been doubting them. I had them with the Mark IV and i didn't like it, now I have it with the Roadster and it still doesn't sit well with me.

I love my Roadster but It's just too brittle with the V30's. It just doesn't work with my ears. I do not like BRITTLE and I DO NOT LIKE FIZ

Can someone recommend something decent please! I hear the C90's aren't bad.

This may not be what you want to hear but the cab design design plays more into the fizziness than the speakers. I've had V30s in many cabs as well as C90s, Eminence Legends, seventy 80s, P50s, Eminence Govners, eminence Texas heats and have experimented with a combination of these speakers in many cabs (with the help of my best bud who owns all this great stuff). At the end of the day the cab design plays more into how the speakers sound. For instance in a 2x12 and some 4x12s I have found V30s to be EXACTLY the way you describe with a Recto. In other 4x12s they sound amazing (same speakers and same amp). Now in my Mills cab they sound perfect... no fizziness, just pure growl and low end thump. Trust me I've been in your position and have been through many cabs.... its the cabs desig not the speakers. My suggestion is try some different cab designs if you can.

R_ADKINS80 said:
I'm with ya dude. All the amps I have ever had sounded like pure dog *** with v30's G12t-75's are where it's at for me. Much fuller sounding with out the annoying peaks.
Im the exact opposite for me the g12t75 sound too muffled too me the v30 has better definition. imo you need to just try others

R_ADKINS80 said:
+1
I'm probably getting a rep for this, but I love the celestian g12t-100's. bigger brother of the t-75's. they have the warmer sound of the 75's with more bass that's tighter than the 75's and without the fizz of the v30

Elixir said:
Yeah, i'm on the cab hunt now!

Any other suggestions?

My 4x12s are each loaded with a pair of V30s and a pair G12T-75s. I think they compliment each other nicely. The V30s provide the midrange that the G12Ts lack, and the G12Ts provide the top and bottom end that the V30s lack.

kiff said:
R_ADKINS80 said:
+1
I'm probably getting a rep for this, but I love the celestian g12t-100's. bigger brother of the t-75's. they have the warmer sound of the 75's with more bass that's tighter than the 75's and without the fizz of the v30
Those G12t-100's sound pretty nice. I gotta see if I can come across some decent sound clips.

I also prefer the g12 75s to v30s. They seem much more consistant and I don't get the spike. Right now I have my 2x12 Roadster combo piggybacked on a 2x12 with celestion hot 100s. I have to say the 100s sound better but, the cab they are in is a little bigger than the roadster's cab and it's insulated which the roadster is not. So it's not exactly apples to apples.
I did swap the 75s for v30s in my speed twin and regretted it big time afterwards. The spped twin is a pretty mid voiced amp so it just barked at high volumes when i swapped out for v30s. I have also had very good experiences with redcoats in varios amplifiers, the redcoat governor is my goto speaker.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Give the G12K-100s a shot. They are the sickest speakers I've ever heard with a rectifier.
What type of music do you play?

For the music i play everyone says V30's are the best but it just does not sound right to me and for regular solo playing at home by myself... i hate them.

Elixir said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
Give the G12K-100s a shot. They are the sickest speakers I've ever heard with a rectifier.

For the music i play everyone says V30's are the best but it just does not sound right to me and for regular solo playing at home by myself... i hate them.

V30s are good for live use because they cut through a band mix well.

They're not so great for home use because they cut through your eardrums just as fast.

I'm actually kinda surprised to see so many suggestions for G12T-75s... they're generally a scooped sounding speaker that lean toward being harsh in the upper frequencies... good for something that's really midrange heavy like a Marshall, not something I'd typically look to combine with a Rectifier.

Elixir said:
Yeah, i'm on the cab hunt now!

Any other suggestions?

Get a Mills Afterburner cab. Its the best thing I ever did for my rig. The v30s through this cab sound strong, powerful and smooth.... very different from any other cab I've heard with v30s, and to me hands down the BEST cabs out there.

screamingdaisy said:
Elixir said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

V30s are good for live use because they cut through a band mix well.

They're not so great for home use because they cut through your eardrums just as fast.

I'm actually kinda surprised to see so many suggestions for G12T-75s... they're generally a scooped sounding speaker that lean toward being harsh in the upper frequencies... good for something that's really midrange heavy like a Marshall, not something I'd typically look to combine with a Rectifier.

Right on about the eardrums, they have fucked me up for sure. A buddy of mine said this to me when i asked what would another speaker (like the GT's) sound like with my roadster?

He suggested plugging my ears with cotton balls which would eliminate the ice picking and fizz. I had no idea if this is was true BUT i did that and to my absolute astonishment

BOOOM! BUTTA!

I mean wow sounded exactly like I've wanted it to sound. Anyone else try this?

The cotton thing works... if you are the only person hearing the amp. It is still going to sound the way it did before to everyone else.

Before spending hundreds of dollars on new cabs and new speakers, try the Auralex GRAMMA isolation riser. It is only $50 and it really does make an audible difference. It pretty much makes whatever surface you have your cabinet on not make a difference at all.

Where in the room are you standing in relation to the cabinet? If it's right in front, and not off to the side a little, then any speaker is going to be harsh and brittle! What I like to do with my 2x12 Avatar is when I'm by myself or something, go about 10 feet in front of a cab and then about 3 - 4 feet to the side. Then it's sweet tone all the way.

If you're looking for a cab though, consider a Rectifier 4x12. I've never heard a better sounding cab paired with the Recto. If you're worried about the V30 sound, switch 2 out with G12T-75s. They work very well in an X pattern, and you'll have a very nice tone!

That's interesting. I have never heard the cotton ball trick. I often leave the room that my amp is in because it sounds so much better than sitting or standing in front of it. +1 on the x pattern, definitely the way to go if you can.

Back