Okay.. Now I'm really Confused!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidglander

Reaction score
Okay, so I finally settled on a pedalboard, to compliment my new Ibanez Turbo Tubescreamer and Morley Bad Horsie. I got a really good deal trading in my POD XT and FBV Express flooboard for the floor mounted POD XT Live, which has tons more pedals, so I can have more control with selecting delay, phaser, compressor and wierd effects etc...

However, I am looking at the manual instructions and they seem to contradict the set up I always thought I should use. I thought the unit would be better plugged through the send return effect unit in my Mesa Dual Rectifier, which in turn could be used to control via the effects switch in my Mesa Bigfoot.

Now it turns out that Line 6 recommend that I plug direct through the front using presets that have been designed not to affect the tone of my amp .... (you can imagine after reading this, I was like 'Uh?')

It also says thet the effects send/return will BYPass my main Pre Amp in the Dual Rec and the POD will become the main amp signal... (again ..'Uh?') :?

Anyway... I can't get at my main rig at the moment, it's in storage while we find another guitarist, but I would like to be able to go stright back to my main rig and be able to at least look like I know what I am doing.

Another question, how should I rig my pedals up? If I do have to have the POD XT in through the front... Should it be GUITAR > WAH > TUBESCREAMER > DIGITECH WEAPON > POD XT LIVE > MESA

?????????

Many Thanks Guys
D

davidglander,

It's not clear from your post whether you want your main distortion tone to come from your amp or from the POD.

assuming you are getting ALL your tones and drive, etc, from the pod...

run the output of the pod into your RETURN effects loop.

you'll be using the HEAD as a glorified power amp, bypassing the preamp section.

you'll want to turn off your cab and mic sims, IF you want the pod to act ONLY as a preamp to the power amp.

Good Comment about the Weapon Pedal... dont use the pedal at all for distortion really, the band play '10000 fists' by Disturbed an the Weapon has a very good Sitar effect which I love, but if we decide to never play that song again, I may consider getting rid.

Also on the POD driving the main sound? after spending nearly 2 grand on a head? Do I look that crazy? Ha ha

No the POD is only for effects, Volume control, and other stuff. I dont use it for anything that I think could even slightly mar the sound of the Dual Rec, if I could play clean with a Tubescreamer through the front and use the Bigfoot to control which type of drive I could use, that really would be all that I would use, but, there's always a load of stuff out there to experiment with and I got tp try them all.....

Which is why I don't really want to put the POD XT Live through the front... I was told that to keep the pure sound of the Amp's head, you needed to play effects processors like the POD through the send return and shut off the overdrive, stomp and Amp simulators (to stop that horrible feedback!)

the Tubescreamer I reckon sounds awseome through the front, so I wont bother changing anyting there.

Cheers
D

me thinks you might have answered your own question, and now i understand why you're confused!
LOL

If youre looking to just try a bit of everything plug headphones into the floorboard and experiment. if you fine an effect or two you really like, sell the POD and buy dedicated effects for those particular effects. the pod is best used if you have a crappy sounding amp with a powerful poweramp. if all you need is the dual recto's crunch, a tubescreamer and a wah then a POD is probably way more options than neccessary. If youre dead set on using it, try to start with a clean slate for each preset and gradually add a delay on one a compressor on another etc...

Latest posts

Back