OK, decided on the Celetion Blue for the LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickc007

Reaction score
asked advice a little while back, and finally ordered the Blue

will give a report once I air it out a bit

wish these guys weren't so pricey, would really like to A/B/C
several at time

anyway, has anyone put a Tone Tubby, or a Red Fang in
an LSS

thanks

F.Ace said:
What's wrong with the Black Shadow?

it's not bad, looking for a slight different tone

my LSS in in a wood cab, and it sounds diff than the standard one

and thanks for the warning platypus, I mostly use it at home, and
don't crank it. May not even try the 30 watt mode much
but thanks for the warning

and since I mentioned my wood cabinet, it would only be fitting to include
eye candy...I know etiquitte :)

newls18.jpg

You should add Weber Blue Dog among your list. They come in 30 watt version too.

For me, (not sure if you have the same taste) EL84s (LSS) works great with alnico magnet speakers so your list would be similar to what I would recommend.

I played a Tubby Tone Alnico, great speaker, if you asked me it sound like your typical expensive alnico type speaker but fatter and smoother.

The ceramic Tubby Tone sounded louder, more aggressive but more sweeter than typical ceramic speakers (e.g. Vintage 30s).

I haven't experience Eminence (Red Coats, Red, White and Blues) other than they are great replacement / copies and not to mentioned affordable.

I know tone is subjective and I know someone is going to contridict my critique but you did asked for an opinion. And here's where I did my evaluation: http://svvintageamps.com/

I should be getting my Tone Tubby early next week. I'm building a 1x12 to pair up with my LSS.

That's a sweet tone machine Rick

I went with a Red Fang in the LSS112, I am really impressed,
Seems to handle the 30w no prob,
I havent switched to 38w mode yet.
Steve

Eminence Patriot Red White & Blues in my LSS 1x12 -- a little brighter than the C90, improves the clean sound without making the distorted sounds buzzy -- an improvement all around with my Strat with EMG SAs IMHO.

Has anyone tried the Celestion Gold? I believe that it's rated for 50 watts and is supposed to have nearly the same characteristics as the Celestion Blue, but with a little more bottom end from what I've read. I was just curious and thought that I'd ask. BTW- Rickc007, very nice LSS!

rick007:

nice exoticwood LSS enclosure.

Brewski said:
Has anyone tried the Celestion Gold? I believe that it's rated for 50 watts and is supposed to have nearly the same characteristics as the Celestion Blue, but with a little more bottom end from what I've read. I was just curious and thought that I'd ask.
I don't know if its this bulliten board or another but members frowned when we heard about Celestion supplier to their China manufacture plan substituding a different cone paper and there was a difference in tone.

O-kay, o-kay, Blues, Gold, Heritages, and perhaps M/B Celestion speakers are all manufacture in England but moving their manufacture plant to China and this recent substitution put a sour taste in our mouths.

Sorry Brewski, did not answer your question. Go to Gilroy to http://svvintageamps.com/ . Scott will answer your questions. Uh, make sure you make an appointment. He works from his resident home and I happened to drop by unexpectedly to get some speakers, and as much as he accomondate me, I felt guilty as another customer w/ an appointment was waiting behind me.
4_6_5.gif

O-kay, I'll admit, I'm Weber bias (and not to mention Ted Weber's nemesis) Tone Tubby bias too.

Sorry Brewski, did not answer your question. Go to Gilroy to http://svvintageamps.com/ . Scott will answer your questions. Uh, make sure you make an appointment. He works from his resident home and I happened to drop by unexpectedly to get some speakers, and as much as he accomondate me, I felt guilty as another customer w/ an appointment was waiting behind me.

Cool site RR! I'll have to go visit the place just out of principle, if nothing else. It looks like a cool place. I just thought that I'd put the question out there, as I was curious. I don't hear much talk about these particular speakers. Thanks for the Gilroy tip, though!

Latest posts

Back