OD-808 vs. MXR 10 Band EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kissing said:
anyone tried the Kerry King MXR eq? whats the difference between the regular one? and also, i havent seen you guys talked about the Ibanez TSs, are they not as good as the Maxon? which one came first?

The Kerry King one has a paint on it and dual outputs. The rest is the same.

kissing said:
anyone tried the Kerry King MXR eq? whats the difference between the regular one? and also, i havent seen you guys talked about the Ibanez TSs, are they not as good as the Maxon? which one came first?

The Kerry King one has a paint on it and dual outputs. The rest is the same.

mechanic said:
MiSeRY said:
i took my BBE sonic stomp out of the chain completely, once I got the EQ.
Interesting. Is the sonic stomp similar to/the same as the sonic maximizer? Were you using it in the loop or in front? My red channel is very wide sounding, not tight and focused (if that makes any sense) and I need the BBE to make it usable (usable = similar to my orange channel set to modern high gain). Did you find that the EQ can be used to get an effect similar to that of the BBE, or that together things were too scooped/tight/whatever?

well the sonic stomp and the eqs do way different functions.... the sonic stomp or sonic maximizer is more of a compressor where as an eq is an eq.... with that said using both the right way can be a great asset to your rig, a secret tone weapon if you will

mechanic said:
MiSeRY said:
Interesting. Is the sonic stomp similar to/the same as the sonic maximizer? Were you using it in the loop or in front? My red channel is very wide sounding, not tight and focused (if that makes any sense) and I need the BBE to make it usable (usable = similar to my orange channel set to modern high gain). Did you find that the EQ can be used to get an effect similar to that of the BBE, or that together things were too scooped/tight/whatever?

well the sonic stomp and the eqs do way different functions.... the sonic stomp or sonic maximizer is more of a compressor where as an eq is an eq.... with that said using both the right way can be a great asset to your rig, a secret tone weapon if you will

mechanic said:
MiSeRY said:

kissing said:
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe Maxon has and does make the guts of the Ibanez tube screamer. I had the chioce of buying a Maxon OD-808 for $150 or the Ibanez TS-808 for $195. I did the math and went with the Maxon. It's awesome, IMHO. The 808s are re-issues of the original versions (70s - 80s maybe?) and are supposed to sound better than the new versions of those pedals. I've never tried a TS-9, but have heard they are decent. I also notice that a lot of guys use the TS-9 modded to sound more like an 808. Hope this helps.

Maxon made the original tubescreamers for Ibanez.

I have an Analogman Modded Maxon TS and it is awesome.

If you want to try an added dimension of bliss to your tone put a clean boost AFTER your Tubescreamer. I use an Xotic RC boost and I just got the Analogman King of Tone which has a clean boost and OD in it.

Running a TS > Clean boost and an MXR 10 band EQ>Tc Electronics Vintage delay in the loop is now all the fx I use ( a Tuner and a Noise suppressor dont count as fx !).

Borrow/ buy a clean boost and tell me what you think.

Zoomzilla said:
MiSeRY said:
So I picked up the Roadster combo AND an MXR 10 band. The one thing I can say so far is that the EQ really does do wonders. That being said, the EQ is noisy as all hell on channels 3 and 4, so I put my NS-2 in the loop. That seemed to fix that problem but then my Les Paul was noisy as hell out front. I know this sounds like overkill but I was thinking about getting another NS-2 to throw in the front..is this crazy?

Secondly, to those of you that use the MXR and the OD-808, what does the OD do that the MXR doesn't? I mean, the MXR made SUCH a difference, I can't imagine the OD doing that much more for the pricetag.

Thanks

That is odd the EQ is noisy in your loop. I don't even hear mine. I run an ISP Decimator out front and just the EQ in the loop. I tried adding the ISP in the loop, but the amp rejected it. You could use another gate out front, or you could try something like an ISP G-string I think it's called that can be used up front AND in the loop.

what if you already have a G-Major in the loop... how would you add the MXR EQ: before it or after... and will it affect the G-Major?

-PJ

pjrake said:
Zoomzilla said:
MiSeRY said:
So I picked up the Roadster combo AND an MXR 10 band. The one thing I can say so far is that the EQ really does do wonders. That being said, the EQ is noisy as all hell on channels 3 and 4, so I put my NS-2 in the loop. That seemed to fix that problem but then my Les Paul was noisy as hell out front. I know this sounds like overkill but I was thinking about getting another NS-2 to throw in the front..is this crazy?

Secondly, to those of you that use the MXR and the OD-808, what does the OD do that the MXR doesn't? I mean, the MXR made SUCH a difference, I can't imagine the OD doing that much more for the pricetag.

Thanks

That is odd the EQ is noisy in your loop. I don't even hear mine. I run an ISP Decimator out front and just the EQ in the loop. I tried adding the ISP in the loop, but the amp rejected it. You could use another gate out front, or you could try something like an ISP G-string I think it's called that can be used up front AND in the loop.

what if you already have a G-Major in the loop... how would you add the MXR EQ: before it or after... and will it affect the G-Major?

-PJ

before it.... it should actually be the first thing in the loop chain.... well maybe compression is first but eq definitely goes before any time based fx

Well I've got an Analogman Silver Mod'ed Maxon TS-808 tubescreamer being shipped to me now.

It'll go up front with my MXR EQ pedal in the loop for clean boosting. Will report back on the results. The Maxon TS-808 will be sitting between a Crunchbox and a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet so it'll be interesting to see the difference.

Well I've had the Analogman Maxon TS-808 on my pedal board since last Friday and rehearsed with my band last night using it.

It's a great pedal for sure. A little different to the Fulldrive Mosfet 2. It's more a true tubescreamer and makes lead tones sound like they're on steroids. Really punchy and also very smooth. Has a good range of tones but not as versatiel as the FD2. It's excellent as a booster for amp or pedal distortion. It colours the tone to give a real high sustain scream. It'll get you close to classic SRV, Clapton & Robert Cray tones by itself

tried fullatone ocd infront of a roadster today at the GC in tempe (awesome store BTW they had 2 roadsters, a bunch of lonestars, a bunch of DRs and an express 5:50 combo plus some nice vhts and a early ENGL amp that sounded amazing) ... anyway i wanted to kill time before my flight so i asked the guy if he could set me up with the ocd infront of the roadster and i played from there.... awesome pedal....i've never actually tried a od with a roadster ( i have tried a green screamer infront of a fender deluxe though).... now i know what all you guys always rave about..... now im dead set on an od but which one?? i liked the ocd but want to try a maxon 808 too because it seems those are the two a lot of people find success with... anyone tried both??

I'm using one with my Roadster too and I love this thing! The hi and Low peak gives you great tonal differences. On low peak the OCD is very transparent, great for a boost or just a nice drive on your clean channel. Hi peak add some mid and bass to your sounds, and can sounds Tubescreamerish at time...and the HP has more volume too!

KoskineN said:
I'm using one with my Roadster too and I love this thing! The hi and Low peak gives you great tonal differences. On low peak the OCD is very transparent, great for a boost or just a nice drive on your clean channel. Hi peak add some mid and bass to your sounds, and can sounds Tubescreamerish at time...and the HP has more volume too!

yeah its a killer pedal.... its so hard to interpret the descriptions of a certain sound (creamy, smooth, etc) but once i tried that OCD infront of channel 3 vintage on 50watts recto tubes it all made sense.... the amount of rich harmonics at your finger tips was almost too much... almost.... ive definitely been missing out

Back