Not sure What Head to get by Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but a Tremoverb is my Mesa choice. It is a dual rectifier, and can get as bada$$ as you want. Also has great cleans, and everything in between. You will not be disappointed. Get the head because the combo is heavy. I mean hernia heavy.

Good Luck, Mike

I went out to the store and I played through a bunch of different mesas. The lonestar special, stiletto ace and deuce, a recto verb, roadster and the 5:25. To my dismay the ED was bought out 2 days before so i still haven't had the opportunity to play it, but out of the stuff i played, the Roadsters crunch was orgasmic, its cleans were pretty good as well. The best cleans were in the 5:25 imo though. they were soo friggen crisp.

There are great tones in every Mesa amp. It comes down to features/channels some of the time. Just for example...
Electra Dyne= 2 channels, shared eq, 2 shared power options
Mark V= 3 channels, independant eq, 3 power options per channel
Roadster= 4 channels, independent eq, 2 power options per channel
The ED might not work for some guys even though it has the most amazing tone just because of the limited channel switching. On the other hand, the Mark V might be complete overkill for someone who stay on the same sound all night. Just food for thought. I love amp shopping!

Also, some Boogies need to be louder to sound good than others, for instance the Recto's have a great bedroom distortion compared to, say, the ED.

Analog Kid said:
Also, some Boogies need to be louder to sound good than others, for instance the Recto's have a great bedroom distortion compared to, say, the ED.

Having owned a Recto and currently owning an ED, my experience has been different.

With my Recto, Raw and Vintage sounded good at Bedroom volumes. Modern did not. Sounded fizzy.

With the ED Vintage Lo and Hi both sound good at bedroom volumes.

However both amps sound better louder.

I have found the Mark series amps to be the boogies least effected by volume in my experience.

I have been through several Mesas, and really, ALL of them sounded pretty good low- but open them up a bit, and they turn into TONE-GENERATORS. Before I played and owned Mesa, I would have argued that amps aren't really instruments- I now know that idea to be wrong...My ED is as much of an instrument as the guitar plugged in front of it- and I never really *heard* any of my guitars before I had a "big-boy" amp. Now I appreciate my individual guitars for different reasons- they all have a strengths and weaknesses...but the ED doesn't really sound "bad" at any volume....turn it up though and it can change from good to unbelievable.....

primal said:
Analog Kid said:

Having owned a Recto and currently owning an ED, my experience has been different.

With my Recto, Raw and Vintage sounded good at Bedroom volumes. Modern did not. Sounded fizzy.

I have found the Mark series amps to be the boogies least effected by volume in my experience.

heh, goes to show how opinions differ, but then again my Recto is a really nice example and I loaded it with 6v6's. I still probably like the ED better at any volume just because I'm so into it right now. I agree that my mkIV kinda has the same vibe at different volumes unless you are trying to overload the power tubes in class a/triode with a lower gain preamp dialed in, that's a sound that you aren't going to get at bedroom levels but isn't all that loud in the relative scheme of things.

There are no bad Mesa amps. They all sound great. Buy one and give it a try. Only your ears can decide.

I still can't make up my mind which one sounds the best.

Analog Kid said:
primal said:
Analog Kid said:

heh, goes to show how opinions differ, but then again my Recto is a really nice example and I loaded it with 6v6's. I still probably like the ED better at any volume just because I'm so into it right now. I agree that my mkIV kinda has the same vibe at different volumes unless you are trying to overload the power tubes in class a/triode with a lower gain preamp dialed in, that's a sound that you aren't going to get at bedroom levels but isn't all that loud in the relative scheme of things.

Just could have been my recto as well. Always frustrated me because when the family was sleeping, modern was unusable. Vintage still sounded great though.

Latest posts

Back