noob question on Mark IV bias

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
Rectifier user here.

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong), the design basis of the rectifiers is that they utilize rectifiers (tube or diode) to set up the bias in the power tube section of the amp.

What type of signal is used to bias the Mark IV? As far as I know, there is no rectification necessary on that amps design?

Seeing that rectifiers and Mark IV's (can) both use 6lG power tubes, do the sonic differences of those amps lie strictly in tube biasing schemes?

Artiefufkin10 said:
Rectifier user here.

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong), the design basis of the rectifiers is that they utilize rectifiers (tube or diode) to set up the bias in the power tube section of the amp.

What type of signal is used to bias the Mark IV? As far as I know, there is no rectification necessary on that amps design?

Seeing that rectifiers and Mark IV's (can) both use 6lG power tubes, do the sonic differences of those amps lie strictly in tube biasing schemes?

Huh !!! :D

Rectifiers are devices that convert AC to DC. So, your wall puts out 117V AC into the power transformer. From there, either 1N4007 solid state diodes or a rectified tube, rectify or change the voltage to DC on the secondary of the power transformer. The bias is a low voltage tap on the secondary of the power transformer. Since the voltage needs to be negative, a 1N4007 diode is put in series to block positive voltage. From there it is adjusted with resistors, filter capacitors and sent to the power tube on pin 5. Since the silicon and tube rectifiers are biased the same the sonic difference is in the rectification, not the bias. A tube rectifier runs lower voltage and will sag the power supply under heavier volume whereas the silicon rectifier will stay more focused, tighted and seem to have more attack and a less rounded tone. The tube rectifier also naturally drops the voltage to the amp as it is much less efficient at converting voltage, so it may seem a bit browner. With the MK IV, it's silicon all the way so it's an amp that maintains good driving power, attack and tone, but can also seem like it has a tube rectifier in tweed mode. Instead of dropping the power by using the tube rectifier, is is like the spongy mode in the DR. Now, spongy with tube rectifiers in the DR is about as low voltage and gooey as you will get. Not only does it drop the primary, or input from your outlet voltage, but the voltage to the preamp tubes and power tubes, then lowers it some more with the tube rectifier.
I hope with this, you are seriously confused.

Rectifiers are devices that convert AC to DC. So, your wall puts out 117V AC into the power transformer. From there, either 1N4007 solid state diodes or a rectified tube, rectify or change the voltage to DC on the secondary of the power transformer. The bias is a low voltage tap on the secondary of the power transformer. Since the voltage needs to be negative, a 1N4007 diode is put in series to block positive voltage. From there it is adjusted with resistors, filter capacitors and sent to the power tube on pin 5. Since the silicon and tube rectifiers are biased the same the sonic difference is in the rectification, not the bias. A tube rectifier runs lower voltage and will sag the power supply under heavier volume whereas the silicon rectifier will stay more focused, tighted and seem to have more attack and a less rounded tone. The tube rectifier also naturally drops the voltage to the amp as it is much less efficient at converting voltage, so it may seem a bit browner. With the MK IV, it's silicon all the way so it's an amp that maintains good driving power, attack and tone, but can also seem like it has a tube rectifier in tweed mode. Instead of dropping the power by using the tube rectifier, is is like the spongy mode in the DR. Now, spongy with tube rectifiers in the DR is about as low voltage and gooey as you will get. Not only does it drop the primary, or input from your outlet voltage, but the voltage to the preamp tubes and power tubes, then lowers it some more with the tube rectifier.
Wow! Thanks for answering my question and trying to make me look like an idiot here!
I know what rectification is and that you need DC to set up a bias on tubes. I should have asked, since there are no rectifier tubes on a Mark IV, what is the means of rectification? By the way, I didn't see any of that information on silicon diodes mentioned on the Mesa's Mark IV product page hence me asking the question here.

You're right...its me, I f--ked it up.

Could you do me a favor?

Kick this @$$ for a man...I'm not asking I'm telling.

(at least someone gets the reference of my avatar).

Anyways, thanks Boogie, I asked a basic question in a rather non-conventional manner. I should have assumed that since there were no recto tubes that it would have to be diodes, but was looking for clarification.

Artiefufkin10 said:

Wow! Thanks for answering my question and trying to make me look like an idiot here!
I know what rectification is and that you need DC to set up a bias on tubes. I should have asked, since there are no rectifier tubes on a Mark IV, what is the means of rectification? By the way, I didn't see any of that information on silicon diodes mentioned on the Mesa's Mark IV product page hence me asking the question here.

it just has a set of Rectifier diode's... ( silicon )

Back