NON LOW END SUCKING OD PEDAL??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPRESSLOVER

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a good od pedal to stick in front of my express for extra gain for low level saturation fun??

I find my rat and blues driver to suck out the bottom end from my 'BURN MODE' distortion which is great btw..

I have found the Xotic pedals (RC,AC,BB) don't suck that low end tone. 2 others I hear great things about are Barber OD and OCD. I know what you mean though - I hate those cheap pedals that suck the low end out.

Keeley can mod those pedals you have and restore the bottom end for less money that it would cost for a new pedal.
http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php

Anytime a OD suggestion is asked for there are a million respones and of those the OCD, BB Preamp, and Zen Drive seem to be what most people love to use. I use a Barber LTD SR. It's very transparent as far as letting the guitars tone come through but the honeymoon is over and I want to get the mod board installed into it for more control of the mids which I could use a little more of.

jab said:
I hate those cheap pedals that suck the low end out.

For a lot of players, the whole POINT of boosting is to get bass out of the preamp so that you can add it back in with the tonestack, making the bass "tighter" and "more focused" because A) the bandwidth is limited and B) the bass is less distorted by preamp gain, making it less farty and flubby.

It's not a cheap vs. expensive thing - it's about what the pedal is intended to do.

There are plenty of cheap boost pedals that leave the low end intact. For example, the EHX LPB-1.

Cheap? You betcha.
Well designed? Not really.
Fat and bassy? Absolutely.

The reason most OD pedals lack bottom end is the same reason you keep the bass knob on a Boogie amp fairly low.
Too much bass makes the overdrive/clipping/distortion sound unfocused and "flubby".
Virtually every Mesa owner's manual states this.
The Graphic EQs on Mark amps, or EQ pedals in the loop, allow you to add bottom after the clipping, so flubbiness (flubbicity?) doesn't happen.

Thx guys so barber seems to be the winner? Gonna check out their products now online.

How does zack wylde do it so?? I know he uses the signature od, would this pedal be up my ballpark??

I'm thinking you have a 5:25, because my 5:50 has too MUCH low end lol! Most overdrives will suck away those aggressive lows that preamp tubes generate (that's actually why I like an OD pedal, to cut down on the aggression). Are you trying to switch between medium gain and higher gain or are you just looking for more gain? If you're looking for more gain I would say get more of a transparent boost pedal, if you're looking to switch between medium and high gain I would learn to use the guitars' volume knob (if there's enough gain for you in the Express).

EXPRESSLOVER said:
Thx guys so barber seems to be the winner? Gonna check out their products now online.

How does zack wylde do it so?? I know he uses the signature od, would this pedal be up my ballpark??

The MXR ZW is about as useful as a paper weight for me. For $50 more you can have an OCD which is the cat's *** ( I like the Xotic BB better but the OCD has more gain).

Probably not what your looking for but i love to use a ToneLab on the clean channel for gain plus it has many other options.

Of course the mesa boogie express has plenty of gain..but for experimentation and recording purposes to achieve an overly out of this world feedbacky distortion is impossible even with the recto's.

Billy corgan of smashing pumpkins for example uses the fender blender to kick in an octave boost to generate feedback.

Im looking for a really wet saturated sound with fuzzy chunk without sucking low end.

Just something to push the express into constant feedback and mega chunk.

Again this is for recording experimenting. I only run the gain on my express live at only 1.30pm as I find it more cutting and punchy. The fact its turned up loud also compensates for the lack of distortion Id normally use when practising.

EXPRESSLOVER said:
Of course the mesa boogie express has plenty of gain..but for experimentation and recording purposes to achieve an overly out of this world feedbacky distortion is impossible even with the recto's.

Billy corgan of smashing pumpkins for example uses the fender blender to kick in an octave boost to generate feedback.

Im looking for a really wet saturated sound with fuzzy chunk without sucking low end.

Just something to push the express into constant feedback and mega chunk.

Again this is for recording experimenting. I only run the gain on my express live at only 1.30pm as I find it more cutting and punchy. The fact its turned up loud also compensates for the lack of distortion Id normally use when practising.

Can also recommend the Analogman mod'ed Maxon TS-808 tubescreamer for your stated purpose.

Home Brew Electronics Ultimate Fuzz Octave:

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/sounds/UFO.mp3

Of course, I just happen to have one for sale :D ...

Back