Noise problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir

Reaction score
My Road King 2 has a big switching noise (like an explosion) whenever I switch the channels via footswitch or Knob (on the rear panel). I am sure there is problem with my amp as it was Ok when I first bought. I bought my Road King just a year, it sounds so good still, but the switching problem is really a nightmare... Somebody pls help!! :(

I've heard of this with the Roadsters but never on the RK's. Try powering the amp up and leave it in stand by. While it's in stand by cycle through every channel on the foot switch. Turn it on standby and then see if you get the same effect when you switch channels.

Could be your power issue as I believe you are a 220v in HK correct? If so have you got the proper means of converting? Not really my area but someone on here should be able to help.

Is this a recent issue and how old are the tubes?

Try this and see if it helps......It helped my Roadster and Road King series 1.

When you first power up the amp and the amps still in standby, go through all the channels (push each footswitchs button) a few times.. like go 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and maybe the solo and FX a few times too. That seemed to "discharge" the static pop when switching channels for me and I was good the rest of the night, but didn't work for others. It's worth a shot?!?

clutch71 said:
I've heard of this with the Roadsters but never on the RK's. Try powering the amp up and leave it in stand by. While it's in stand by cycle through every channel on the foot switch. Turn it on standby and then see if you get the same effect when you switch channels.

Could be your power issue as I believe you are a 220v in HK correct? If so have you got the proper means of converting? Not really my area but someone on here should be able to help.

Is this a recent issue and how old are the tubes?

Thanks, I will try it today. I bought my RK in Hong Kong. So I guess it should not be the voltage issue. My Road King is now one year old, so the amp and tubes are surely in good condition. This is the most expensive gear I bought so far, I am very happy with the King but the nosie problem is really killing me!

tele_jas said:
Try this and see if it helps......It helped my Roadster and Road King series 1.

When you first power up the amp and the amps still in standby, go through all the channels (push each footswitchs button) a few times.. like go 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and maybe the solo and FX a few times too. That seemed to "discharge" the static pop when switching channels for me and I was good the rest of the night, but didn't work for others. It's worth a shot?!?

wow, it seems like a magic formula! hope it works! Surely I will try it today. However, if it really works, do I need to "discharge" the static pop everytime I turn the RK on? Does it tell a problem of my Road king? Or do I need to return it to the store where I bought it (In fact, the staff told me there is no one at their store knows how to fix the boogie amp, **** it! I may need to play guitar without the amp for the next 6 months... )
Anyway, thanks so much, I hope I will tell you guys the good news tonight!

sir said:
wow, it seems like a magic formula! hope it works! Surely I will try it today. However, if it really works, do I need to "discharge" the static pop everytime I turn the RK on? Does it tell a problem of my Road king? Or do I need to return it to the store where I bought it (In fact, the staff told me there is no one at their store knows how to fix the boogie amp, **** it! I may need to play guitar without the amp for the next 6 months... )

I had to do it everytime I turned on my amp (RK and Roadster).

tele_jas said:
That seemed to "discharge" the static pop when switching channels for me and I was good the rest of the night, but didn't work for others. It's worth a shot?!?

The truth is that Mesa has built a switching circuit that has inherent design flaws. It uses electromechanical relays which cause a sudden surge in the signal chain when they're turned from off to on (amplified by the stages and heard as a pop), and so Mesa has had to devise a circuit which mutes the amp for a fraction of a second (around 10ms) to mask the relay pops. The RK, Triple Rec, and Roadster have over 20 relays in them!

As pointed out, switching between channels just before you play seems to work for most people because it actually switches on and "prepares" the relays to engage the muting circuit. Here's how it works... whilst switching to a function or mode the muting circuit needs to have had some mode/channel relays already engaged "on" beforehand to actually start the mute circuit to mask the pops. When a relay is turned on a charge builds up in it's coil due to a magnetic field and when it's turned off the field collapses and releases the charge, which is used to trigger the mute circuit. So in effect the action of a relay turning off triggers it's own muting.

Notice when you have just turned on your amp that none of the channel lights are on? So at this point most of the relays have yet to be turned on and primed to trigger the mute circuit. Cycling through the modes/channels preps them up and will hopefully deal with your pop.

Crappy+noisy relay switching transistors seem to be the other noise culprit. I think Mesa should fix ALL of these noisy amps under warranty.

tele_jas said:
sir said:

Oh, Yes! The magic formula works so well, my King has no pop noise now! Thanks u guys!!!
Yes, however, I have to do it again everythime I turn it on. But that's ok, at least it is still in good shape.

Hi, jvk. Thanks for your information. I think it is not reasonable to have the nosie problem happend on an amp as expensive as Mesa anyway...

sir said:
tele_jas said:
sir said:

Oh, Yes! The magic formula works so well, my King has no pop noise now! Thanks u guys!!!
Yes, however, I have to do it again everythime I turn it on. But that's ok, at least it is still in good shape.

Hi, jvk. Thanks for your information. I think it is not reasonable to have the nosie problem happend on an amp as expensive as Mesa anyway...

Your welcome, and I definately agree. Alot of Marshalls, Peavey, VHT, ENGL, Diezel and Fender all have relays but yet do not pop, go figure.

Latest posts

Back