newbie and sorry but help is required

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkythedog

Reaction score
I have been offered a dc-50 or a dc-5 the bloke cant remember off the top of his head, it is apparently a 1991 model and has never been gigged, its in mint condition but i am not going to see it till next week,he wants £650, i cant seem to find anything regarding this amp or pictures, any help would be great and i might include a pie,thanks in advance, The Puppy

I had a DC-5 combo before I got my Nomad. Good all-around amp.

Mine was from 1996. I tried two different ones that were from early in production, and I thought those sounded better than mine. Go for it!

Barky...this is not meant as an insult but you're asking Mesa players to compare our beloved Mesa line to a Marshall piece of crap hybrid amp. The AVT50 is used by exactly zero professional musicians (it actually might be a negative number 8) ) and is nothing but Marshall's attempt to reduce the price of their amps by using a solid state power section with 1 pre-amp tube. They don't sound bad at bedroom volumes and may even sound decent jamming with a band. But you won't get the true tube amp tonal variety and sound that a Mesa...or even an all-tube Marshall will give you.
I almost bought one because of the ease of over-driven tones the AVT50 gets, but tube enthusiasts aren't looking for ease, they're looking for tone. The DSL and TSL series aren't bad for the Marshall sound (DSL401, TSL601, etc)
barkythedog said:
still cant find what the difference is apart price

I would not dare im very new to playing and developing my sound and unfortunately my friends influenced me into buying the avt , now a few months down the line i have decided to get a proper amp, i recenty bought a PRS custom 24 artist and tried it with a high end amp, i now realise marshall are *****, hence wanting to get the dc-5 i have been offered,i just wanted advice on this amp as i probably going to buy it after i play it next week, please no offence was meant to anyone, The Puppy

Avoid the AVT series. I used to own an AVT20. You could dial in only a couple of good tones with those amps. Also, they really lack in terms of reliability, my AVT20 was actually replaced with a new one under warranty.

No offense taken barky....Just curious, are you getting a deal on the DC-5? The reason I ask is that there are a number of great newer Mesa's to be had from $700-1000...especially if you don't mind ebay. I;ve seen F-30 go in the 600-650 range and F-50's in the 750-900. Heck, Rectoverbs can be had for about 900-1000 shipped.

barkythedog said:
I would not dare im very new to playing and developing my sound and unfortunately my friends influenced me into buying the avt , now a few months down the line i have decided to get a proper amp, i recenty bought a PRS custom 24 artist and tried it with a high end amp, i now realise marshall are sh!t, hence wanting to get the dc-5 i have been offered,i just wanted advice on this amp as i probably going to buy it after i play it next week, please no offence was meant to anyone, The Puppy

Yes the guy whos selling is the same one who sold me the prs (he works in a guitar shop) i have developed a good friendship and the guy wouldnt rip me off im seeing it tuesday with a view to buying as i say its never been gigged and kept in top condition and he wants £600 im not sure what thats in dollars, is that a good price

barkythedog said:
Yes the guy whos selling is the same one who sold me the prs (he works in a guitar shop) i have developed a good friendship and the guy wouldnt rip me off im seeing it tuesday with a view to buying as i say its never been gigged and kept in top condition and he wants £600 im not sure what thats in dollars, is that a good price

It's 1,044.00 USD.

I agree with TheRaz, you could probably do better for that price range.

I don't know if your local economy with import duties and such, make Mesa's more expensive there new and used, however in the US that would be high for that amp. You can buy a new F-30 for $949, or a new F-50 for $1099 here. So do your comparisons carefully when you are considering purchasing that amp. Also, hunt around on E-bay and see what other similar used Mesa's are going for. Good luck on whatever you decide.

that's the problem, new f-30 or f-50's arent that cheap here.

In the UK the usual conversion of US prices to UK prices is 1:1 so a F50 is £1149 here + postage :( it's the same with CD's and most electrical products we get screwed.

see: http://www.andertonsonline.co.uk/acatalog/Mesa_Boogie_Guit_Amp.html

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=3034&ppc=guitar+amplifiers_Mesa+Boogie+F50&gclid=COXUn6HZpYMCFRFJMAodX02eUg

the puppy bought the dc-5 only trouble is trying to get a judas priest / metallica/ sounds any suggestions

good afternoon, pup.....
I just bought (two days ago) a dc-5.......paid $700 US
this amp is in a "blonde" (read: eggshell) colored tolex....don't know if this is the norm or not.......absolutely LOVE the sound so far....will go to its first gig this Saturday WITHOUT a backup.....(I'll leave my line-6 flextone 2X12 at home)....
The only complaint I have is that the push/pull on the clean volume is not footswitchable.........going to try to find a solution to that on this site....
good luck !
Bryan

hey..i sorta liked my old avt...it was my first real amp(up from a 15 watt frontman), and boy did it ever inspire me with all those effects and the footswitching and the decent distortion. it's probably the reason i still play guitar today. easy on the bashing! back then, the f-series didn't exist! for a beginer amp, i think its a good bit of kit and i wouldn't even mind having one around for a practice amp!(i think it sounds loads better then the mg's...)

Latest posts

Back