New tubes for DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo77

Reaction score
I have recently bought a DC-5 from ebay and I'd like to change the power tubes. I've read that Mesas don't need biasing as it is fixed so I should buy a pair of them which are in the range of it, though I've seen here that Mesa's valves are reliable and last long though there are better ones. Which one would you recommend in that voltage range? I don't want extreme gain, but a mild and defined saturation as well as defined bass without muddness in mids.

In case I would go on mesa's, perhaps I've confused but I think I've read that colors don't really matter? (quite odd, guess I misunderstood).

And finally, could I go on 6V6s with no amp mod?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: Mind my English, I'm from Spain

try groove tubes, some people say that GT's are more interesting that mesa, since mesa emphasizes the durability.... their powertubes go in 3 different colors - white, red, blue... it's their distortion rating, find out more on their official website..

Apart from not using EL34s... as this amp is equipped with 6L6, and the suggestion of this other guy og using GTs what more tubes would you recommend on a DC-5?

I'm reading lots of posts about people putting what-you-want valves and I'm quite afraid of that Bias thing...:S don't know if putting those tubes with no bias adjustment is Ok for my amp.

Thanks all :)

Latest posts

Back