Mark VII - EVM-12L??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using 2 Thiele cabs, one with an EVM12L Classic and the other with a Celestion Redback. When I run both together, the blend is absolutely perfect for me. I also have a Mesa Vertical 2x12 with a Redback and a WGS 12L. The WGS is a little brighter than the EVM, but to my ears, the rest is pretty spot on as a "clone" of an EVM. I use these cabs for every amp I own and even with my Kemper. They never fail to impress me.

I've been using 2 Thiele cabs, one with an EVM12L Classic and the other with a Celestion Redback. When I run both together, the blend is absolutely perfect for me. I also have a Mesa Vertical 2x12 with a Redback and a WGS 12L. The WGS is a little brighter than the EVM, but to my ears, the rest is pretty spot on as a "clone" of an EVM. I use these cabs for every amp I own and even with my Kemper. They never fail to impress me.
Kinda down the speaker rabbit hole at the moment. The Redback has come up a few times and now more then intrigued. Been running a v30 with my EVM and now wondering how different a Redback would be paired with it.

Kinda down the speaker rabbit hole at the moment. The Redback has come up a few times and now more then intrigued. Been running a v30 with my EVM and now wondering how different a Redback would be paired with it.
I find V30s to be too brittle and harsh for my tastes. The Redback is much smoother on the top end and full on the bottom end. I've tried only a few Celestion speakers, and, to me, the Redback is fairly neutral overall. Not as neutral as an EVM, but a LOT more neutral than a V30. If you use an acoustic sim, the combination of the EVM and Redback deliver a more realistic tone.

Why not just leave the c90 in the amp. I personally would be looking at an external cab to go with it. A friend recently got one of the Theile cabs that has the C90 in it, and thus far he has been floored with its performance compared to a C90 in just an open back cabinet (similar to the combo). I mention the Theile cab as it has much the same dimensions as the combo, just a bit deeper and ported to the front.

I still like the EVM12L Classic (current production made in Mexico) with the Mark VII. That I was overly impressed with but in a wide body 112 open back cab about the same size as the Mark V90 combo. Just a bit on the shallow side so stacking V90 combo on top of the extension cab on carpet is not very stable. On a wood floor it is. carpet with padding is not all that suitable.

You could always hunt down an OG Thiele cabinet to put under it, with the EV speaker inside. Or you could get a new Thiele and swap the speaker.

You could always hunt down an OG Thiele cabinet to put under it, with the EV speaker inside. Or you could get a new Thiele and swap the speaker.
I did exactly that: two new Thieles and I replaced the speakers in each cab. These are now what I regularly use at gigs, sometimes only 1 cab. When the stereo effects kick in, my tone swims around the stage. Awesome feeling and sound.

Latest posts

Back