New to Board & Mark Series - Mark III Purchase - Good Move?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson King

Reaction score
Hey, all

First post on here. I was a former owner of a Mesa Tremoverb and have been in the market to purchase a Mark series amp. I was looking at picking up a IIC/IIC+, but came across a Mark III "black dot" w/ the 105 IIC+ transformers (I believe thats the case, not a Mesa expert). This'll cost me less than a $1K, a substantial savings from a IIC+ and about $500 less than a IIC "SR" head I'm looking at. What do you guys think? Good amp? Close to a IIC+ from a tone/feel perspective? Is it cool and collectable?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

IMG_20150204_120404217_zpsa97d836b.jpg

IMG_20150204_120508402_zpsc5e7a76e.jpg

IMG_20150204_120424909_zps720c13a2.jpg

That's for sure a "105" transformer. If it's simul or 100, you will spot on a switch on the right side when you look from behind.

Soundwise it's more aggresive than a IIC+ but to me the biggest difference was in the clean channel which is more sterile in the III, over all the MKIII is brighter and has a more bass than a C+
However there is an easy mod in this thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879
If you do this the III will sound absolutely fantastic.

tony777 said:
That's for sure a "105" transformer. If it's simul or 100, you will spot on a switch on the right side when you look from behind.

Soundwise it's more aggresive than a IIC+ but to me the biggest difference was in the clean channel which is more sterile in the III, over all the MKIII is brighter and has a more bass than a C+
However there is an easy mod in this thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879

Hey, thanks so much for the reply and the insight. I checked another pic sent by the store and you can just barely tell that it indeed has the 100/60 switch to the far right. New to the Mark series, but I take it that the amp can be concurrently simul-class and 100/60 right?

Also, I'll definitely look into the C+ mod. Think I'll likely be heading over to Mesa for a head-shell and maintenance. That said are your observations reflective of the Mark III w/ 105 transformer or the Mark III in general? I'm almost certain I'll be going with this amp, but wondering if the "SR" Mark IIC would get close to fabled C+ land - despite this amp being the one w/ the PT105.

Thanks again!

Crimson King said:
tony777 said:

Hey, thanks so much for the reply and the insight. I checked another pic sent by the store and you can just barely tell that it indeed has the 100/60 switch to the far right. New to the Mark series, but I take it that the amp can be concurrently simul-class and 100/60 right?

No it's either Simul-Class or a 60/100 they are not the same.
A Simul will have a different OT (Output Transformer) than the 60/100

Also, I'll definitely look into the C+ mod. Think I'll likely be heading over to Mesa for a head-shell and maintenance. That said are your observations reflective of the Mark III w/ 105 transformer or the Mark III in general?

I'll reply for him and say his comments are about MkIII's in general.

I'm almost certain I'll be going with this amp, but wondering if the "SR" Mark IIC would get close to fabled C+ land - despite this amp being the one w/ the PT105.

The 105 PT in a MkIII is not going to get you anywhere near a C+.
The C+ is what it is primarily due to the pre-amp circuit board that is/ was used in the C+.
The pre-amp board in a MkIII is completely different.

An SR IIC can be upgraded to a C+ by Mesa.
Fwiw SR = Sixty watt with Reverb - no EQ

Thanks again!

Hi Crimson King,

you must be of course sure, if you really want a C+ sound or if you`d like the III sound more. There had been people who didn`t like the III+ after.
But at any rate to send that old amp for servicing is of course the best idea, as some electronic parts can get weak and worsen the sound after so long time.
Make sure that Mike B. will get the amp in his hands after you`ll decide for.

I really appreciate all the help. After thinking about it some, I think I'll forgo the III after all and try to find a IIC or IIC+ at a "reasonable" price. If anyone is interested in picking this particularly amp, drop me a message and I'll let you know where you can get it.

Crimson King said:
I really appreciate all the help. After thinking about it some, I think I'll forgo the III after all and try to find a IIC or IIC+ at a "reasonable" price. If anyone is interested in picking this particularly amp, drop me a message and I'll let you know where you can get it.

Depends what you're after, but keep in mind on a C+ the graphic EQ is the most important of the available features, in my humble opinion. Others will disagree, but the EQ C+'s are what you're hearing in all these famous artist's recordings. If you seek primarily a blues type amp, then a non-EQ version will more than satisfy.

Elpelotero said:
Crimson King said:

Depends what you're after, but keep in mind on a C+ the graphic EQ is the most important of the available features, in my humble opinion. Others will disagree, but the EQ C+'s are what you're hearing in all these famous artist's recordings. If you seek primarily a blues type amp, then a non-EQ version will more than satisfy.

Thanks for the message. I take it one in the loop (even the Mesa branded 5-band) wouldn't be quite the same?

Perhaps the Mesa EQ. Haven't done an A/B comparison so can't say for sure, but I imagine it must be 99% there. It's a $300 pedal though. I would just be patient and find an amp with EQ. Other EQ's won't quite fit the bill as well (boss, etc.) because they target different frequencies.

Elpelotero said:
Crimson King said:

This is also said so many times about the IIIs, they`d be "unworthy" without EQ. This is BULLSH** ! People often make the mistake to use "only" the lowleveled preamp-sound and try to force it in all directions with the EQ.
But if they`ll keep to one of the oldest philosophies, that the power-amp really makes the sound, they`d see what I´m talking about.
But of course, on the C+ it may be different. I cannot talk about this.........

That really depends on the sound you're after. There's no right or wrong answer, it's just a matter of what fits the bill of each user and the music genre they are into. For example, for the sound I'm after, I feel perfectly at home by running the master at 2 or 3, as I don't need the power amp to add distortion to the sound. In fact, the sound I'm after gets messed up whenever I introduce any kind of power tube distortion. In my case, the power tubes are there just to make the sound louder, while others may like just the opposite.
When talking about the EQ, it's the same thing: I wouldn't find any use for a Mark amp with no GEQ, as I wouldn't be able to get the amount of bass frequencies I need without them being flubby (for example).

Thanks again for the help. Patience isn't necessarily one of my virtues and it appears as though there is a wide price discrepancy on the basis of the EQ. Frankly, seeing some cheap "SR" IICs locally, which after taking to Mike would cost me about $1,500.00-1,600.00 (about $2K if I add the eq). Sure, a loaded amp would be great, but I'd like to stay under $2K and can always get the pedal at any point thereafter. Afterall, I like my gain but I'm not a metal guy in the Metallica sense.

Agustín Collia said:
........ In fact, the sound I'm after gets messed up whenever I introduce any kind of power tube distortion. In my case, the power tubes are there just to make the sound louder, while others may like just the opposite.

Oh no, my friend, you didn`t get it, or you`re living in a completely different world............Sorry, don`t want to offend you :wink:

But running the your Master at home on 2 or 3, that`s a dream. If I did, I`d be thrown immediately out of my appartement.
At home mine is in general on about 1.1 and it`s ballcrushing.........
You lucky boy :D
But a III isn`t an amp for playing at home.........

megavoice said:
Elpelotero said:
Crimson King said:

This is also said so many times about the IIIs, they`d be "unworthy" without EQ. This is BULLSH** ! People often make the mistake to use "only" the lowleveled preamp-sound and try to force it in all directions with the EQ.
But if they`ll keep to one of the oldest philosophies, that the power-amp really makes the sound, they`d see what I´m talking about.
But of course, on the C+ it may be different. I cannot talk about this.........

I agree, to an extent. My old Simul C+ with no EQ sounded best only when through a 4x12 with the volumes CRANKED (levels 9). This was done outside in a field. At that point, it sounded like a Diezel VH4 crashing down a building. I didn't miss the EQ then. But who has the chance to play like that all the time? Ultimately I sold it and once I heard an EQ version, it was game over.

Hahaha, it definitely isn't an amp for playing at home!
Holy ****!!!!! Weren't you blown outside of the field when you hit the first chord? I can't imagine how loud that must've been!

A big thank you to my Mesa Boogie friends!

I've decided against going w/ the Mk III and instead found a very, very clean IIC+ combo. It's a SR w/ the C90 speaker, but it's a production IIC+ and I bought it at a good price. Maybe a loaded IIC+ will be in my future someday, but I am very satisfied with this purchase.

I'll await receipt before taking steps towards anything else, but I'm thinking about replacing the C90 w/ a EV12L and possibly getting a head-shell. I'm also contemplating the EQ mod done by Mike but the 5-band pedal is a comparatively good deal ($200 cheaper) and it allows me to use it on my other amps. Also, not sure I'm thrilled w/ having the III faceplate on an otherwise all original, factory IIC+. Does anyone know if Mike gives your old faceplate back, or are they destroyed after use?

Now, to see if the Marshall Jubilee stays after being pitted against the IIC+....

Back