New Studio Pre demo videos!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool video. I'm thinking about getting a Studio Preamp and your video was great. Can't wait to see the next one

Nice video, DMT!

Something like that can help someone see what these are capable of.

That's cool you did it direct too, it shows tube preamps can be recorded direct with good results.
If I can make a suggestion, Can you do a video demo with the unit mic'ed? Dry and wet, show off that rig of yours! Put those cabs apart and play some nice chords with stereo chorus & delay.

Look forward to the next ones!

Thanks guys!

Good idea, axisman. In one of my next ones I'll set up the mic again and demo the whole rig. I also have to figure out an audio setup that will allow me to narrate while I tweak knobs. With this video I did the narration and sound clips separately, but my goal is to show the effect that each knob has on the tone in real time.

DMTransmutation said:
Thanks guys!

In my next video I'm going to talk about how to properly blend the output knobs and gain knobs with good results.

Good idea, axisman. In one of my next ones I'll set up the mic again and demo the whole rig. I also have to figure out an audio setup that will allow me to narrate while I tweak knobs. With this video I did the narration and sound clips separately, but my goal is to show the effect that each knob has on the tone in real time.

I applaud the effort, but I feel like the tone was rather subpar... whether that is from the direct out or having so many different items in the mix, it just sounds dated and not really lively. I also found your settings interesting. Here are mine:

studio1.jpg
studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg
studiosimul.jpg

bpm91 said:
DMTransmutation said:
Thanks guys!

In my next video I'm going to talk about how to properly blend the output knobs and gain knobs with good results.

I applaud the effort, but I feel like the tone was rather subpar... whether that is from the direct out or having so many different items in the mix, it just sounds dated and not really lively. I also found your settings interesting. Here are mine:

studio1.jpg
studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg
studiosimul.jpg

His settings WOULD likely be different. There is a significant difference in the power amplifiers you two are using.

I think those tones sound great. They would sit beautifully in a dense mix. I do agree the chain could be cleaned up a bit though. You could not PAY ME to run my studio pre in a series configuration through a processor of any sort. Maybe when we start sampling at 192kHz...

Great work DMT, cool sounds, and I actually like the fact that it was direct. Adding a mic to the equation really injects one hell of a variable.

EOengineer said:
His settings WOULD likely be different. There is a significant difference in the power amplifiers you two are using.

I think those tones sound great. They would sit beautifully in a dense mix. I do agree the chain could be cleaned up a bit though. You could not PAY ME to run my studio pre in a series configuration through a processor of any sort. Maybe when we start sampling at 192kHz...

Great work DMT, cool sounds, and I actually like the fact that it was direct. Adding a mic to the equation really injects one hell of a variable.

Of course they would be different. However, his style of EQ'ing both knobs and GEQ was what took me back... some knobs were virtually zero'd out.

I do look forward to the next videos.

The sound clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpCc7_0Cmuc

Explanation of all the amp's controls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiYIkO7kCxs

Both of these videos are new. I deleted the original. These are better produced and the explanations make a bit more sense.

Nice work! It's interesting, because the settings I usually stay on more or less match your mid-gain lead channel settings. I pretty much use as much gain as I can get away with without crunching up the rhythm mode, which means that the higher-gain thrashier tones aren't really available to me (well, of course they are, but you know how when you find your tone on a Boogie you wanna leave the **** knobs alone). Here is a demo of a tune I'm working on (sorry if it's boring without the vocals) that showcases my Studio Pre with these settings through a Simul 395 poweramp into a Boogie Roadready cab. Guitar is an early Korean Epiphone SG with GFS pickups.

http://www.genitalhercules.com/~mcrowe/DNADamage.mp3

Bravo!!

Great explanation on the dials and how they relate to each other. Yeah, the volume knob for the input has a big impact on both channels, I usually keep mine between 5-8 depending on how dirty on want the tone to be.

Look forward to more!!

Last night I went down to the rehearsal space to get loud for a while, and I messed around with some of the higher-gain type settings in your video. I liked the thrashiness, but it seemed like bumping the gain up that high added some compressed characteristics to the sound that I didn't really like. After some more playing around I wound up more or less back where I was: backed off on the gain just enough to open up the sound, but still keep the majority of the crunch. The rig was sounding REALLY good last night.

Whoopy I know what you mean.

To my ears I can make high gain settings sound better by turning the volume on my power amp all the way up, then controlling the overall volume with my fx unit and/or preamp. This seems to tighen up the low end for me and I love the results.

DMTransmutation said:
The sound clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpCc7_0Cmuc

Explanation of all the amp's controls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiYIkO7kCxs

Both of these videos are new. I deleted the original. These are better produced and the explanations make a bit more sense.

Much better. And it sits very well in the mix!

Didn't know you were in Philly too... Maybe we could get together for a little jam.

Latest posts

Back