New production Tung-Sol 12AX7!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cesjr

Reaction score
I put a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V1 position of my Mark IV today and my amp just came alive! As much as I love the SED 12AX7's there was just something missing. Both the Tung-Sol and SED tubes have great tone but the Tung-Sols have noticeably more gain. Everything that has been said about these tubes hold to be true; high gain, low noise, low microphonics, warm beautiful tone... simply amazing.

I decided to retube the whole preamp section with the Tung-Sol tubes and they sound great in every position.

Hearing my Mark IV today I'd have to absolutely agree! I love the SED Winged "C" 6L6's, and the combination with the Tung-Sols... well you said it best, "tone to die for."

i've never heard anything but wonderful reviews of tung sol's. that's why i'm buying a set for my studio pre!

Is your sound more defined,tighter,less hum or buzz...? Its huge diference in sound?

I'm not the best at putting tone into words. But I would say the difference was substantial, especially when compared to the stock Sovteks. The Tung-Sol 12AX7's have a very low noise floor, which was very surprising considering the amount of gain they produce. They also seem more articulate than other current production tubes. The more time I spend with these tubes the more I think, "This is how my Mark IV is supposed to sound."

I would encourage anyone to try one in V1.

sorry for the ancient bump...

i read here that tung-sol's don't fit into the V1 slot? i've been wanting to swap out my tubes but can't find a good replacement other than a tung-sol. i thought about mullards, though they're a little mellow.

Some batches fit, some don't. Apparently New Sensor was experimenting with glass thickness to reduce noise. The later batches are said to be slightly smaller, so the ones coming from the vendors nowadays should fit. Mine didn't, so I put an RCA 12AX7A in there, and put the NS Tung-Sol to V2. Better fit, better tone, problem solved.

Just to clarify, it'll fit into the V1 slot, but the tube cover won't fit on the tubes.

Tube choice is a matter of taste really. Let your ears decide.

cesjr said:
I put a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V1 position of my Mark IV today and my amp just came alive! As much as I love the SED 12AX7's there was just something missing. Both the Tung-Sol and SED tubes have great tone but the Tung-Sols have noticeably more gain. Everything that has been said about these tubes hold to be true; high gain, low noise, low microphonics, warm beautiful tone... simply amazing.

I decided to retube the whole preamp section with the Tung-Sol tubes and they sound great in every position.

How's the cleans? are they still good with the higher gain tube in V1?

trem said:
Some batches fit, some don't. Apparently New Sensor was experimenting with glass thickness to reduce noise. The later batches are said to be slightly smaller, so the ones coming from the vendors nowadays should fit. Mine didn't, so I put an RCA 12AX7A in there, and put the NS Tung-Sol to V2. Better fit, better tone, problem solved.

Just to clarify, it'll fit into the V1 slot, but the tube cover won't fit on the tubes.

Absolutely correct about the glass thickness. To further enlighten everyone, the earlier batches were smaller. New Sensor made the change to a thicker glass "envelope" to reduce microphonics and other residual noises...per Mike Mathews at New Sensor. The current runs are thicker, but the actual thickness does vary to the point that some fit extremely tight and others slightly tight. Of course, it does depend upon the tube shield base that you have...some can contribute or detract from the actual fit of the Tung Sols. We had to change Tube socket vendors for our production amps to allow the Tung Sols to fit properly...as we use a Tung Sol in the 1st position.

For what it's worth, I've seen this on NOS tubes here and there over the years...nothing that prevented use of the tube(s), just tight.

HipKitty said:
For what it's worth, I've seen this on NOS tubes here and there over the years...nothing that prevented use of the tube(s), just tight.

So have I...have some Amperex labeled RFT 12ax7's that have a very fat bottle, they are about the least microphonic 12ax7's I own, and sound great in my amps that I've tried them in. The vintage GE longplate uses a slightly thicker bottle to reduce microphonics, that tube can have them for sure. Also the vintage Tesla e83cc/ecc803s.

It would be interesting to see how many Reissue Tung Sol 12ax7 owners have ever used the real ones...as much as they like the reissue they might be pleasantly surprised by the tones of their predecessors. Peace.

Latest posts

Back