New MKIIC+ owner with some questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnamps

Reaction score
So I just got a MKIIC+ head and have a couple of questions. First, I am trying to figure out what kind of speakers I should use. I am playing it through a Marshall 4X12 with Celestion G12H and the amp dosn't seem to like them too much. I am going to get a 2X12 and play lots of Country and rock. I'm looking for speakers that will give me a smooth, warm, woody tone but will compliment the C+ tone. Would mabey a pair of Jensen C12N or some Weber model be good. The amp seems to like single coils better than humbuckers..does anyone else find that. Next Pre-amp tubes..Right now I have JJ ECC83 in V1 and V4 and a mullard in V3. What may be better choices? One thing I really like about this amp is that even on the lead channel it cleans up very good with the volume knob!! Any help or tone tricks would be very cool!! Thanks- John

As far as Weber speakers,if you call or email Ted and tell him what you are looking for he will point you in the right direction.He is very helpful,and when I told him what I was trying to achieve with one of my amps he recommended a speaker that nailed the sound I described.As far as preamp tubes I tried the JJ's in my IIC+ and didnt like them.I have some NOS Teslas in #1 and 2 position and I just changed the #3 and 4 position which is the lead channel and reverb tubes, to JAN 5751's.I play mainly blues and country rock,so I find I dont need the mega drive the 12AX7's give in the lead channel,and the 5751' smooth it out nice.Check with Ted at Weber,I am sure he can suggest speakers to your liking.

Try putting your presence to zero, volume 1 up to 10, treble around 7, bass around 3, mids 4 or 5, master1 around 2 and pulled ... tweak from there for a great clean rythmn sound. For the "rock" sound and the 2nd channel I go for just a little more overdrive and then use the eq as a boost for solos on both channels.

This is just a starting point; it all depends on the sound coming from your guitar.

Back