New Mark IV What would you do???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
I was at my dealer last week and tried several amps and came to the conclusion that the Mark IV was for me. I Monday I called the owner and asked him to contact Mesa and see if by any chance they had stock on the Mark IV and if not, how long to get one...custom or otherwise. "I actually have one here, new in the box, and I will sell it at the old price", which saves a whopping $50.

I asked him how long he had had it, six months??? No, longer he said; I honestly thought well maybe 7-8-9 months. I picked up the sealed box yesterday and took everything out today only to find the pro-net price list Mesa packs with the owner's manual is dated 2005. I'll have to wait until Monday to check with Mesa to see when it was made.

It's clear the amp was never taken out of the box. And, I doubt that there is any difference in something manf. this year or 2005, but it seems like it could influence the resale if I ever needed to sell it, and it honesly frosts me that he was somewhat disingenuous about how long he had the amp.

Part of me just says, "What the hell"...part of me says, "Take it back and buy one somewhere else even if I have to order it" and lastly tell him "I expect you to discount this amp to reflect a lower value".

Any thoughts about what you would do if this happened to you?

The warranty does not start until you buy it. There is nothing wrong with buying one only a couple of years old, they don't lose value like cars. The Mark IV is one of the best amps made in the USA. It really is a boutique amp that will serve you for many years to come..... :D

When the new Lonestar was announced, a thread was posted about GC's letting on hand stock go for 1k each. I contacted them and the only one they had, which hadn't been on the floor was a 2005. They buy in bulk and warehouse. I was told it didn't matter. I took it back, ended up with an LSS for 1 1/2 the price. Hind sight, I probably should have kept it. I would still have an LSS, I'd just like to have them both. Point is, if you like the amp, the way it sounds now, it will only get better. Keep it. Just my .02 Jeff

I would keep th eone you have, you save 50 dollars, plus from what everyone is saying mesa is having a little QC issues. I dont think they are, but if they are then you are safe. The Mark IV has not changed in many many years, so one you get ordered today would be the exact same one you have right now.

Like others have said, the warrenty does not start till you purchase it, so you are are good with a five year warrenty. Now if it was older then 2005, then you would only have a 3 year warrenty.

Mountain Fever said:
I was at my dealer last week and tried several amps and came to the conclusion that the Mark IV was for me. I Monday I called the owner and asked him to contact Mesa and see if by any chance they had stock on the Mark IV and if not, how long to get one...custom or otherwise. "I actually have one here, new in the box, and I will sell it at the old price", which saves a whopping $50.

I asked him how long he had had it, six months??? No, longer he said; I honestly thought well maybe 7-8-9 months. I picked up the sealed box yesterday and took everything out today only to find the pro-net price list Mesa packs with the owner's manual is dated 2005. I'll have to wait until Monday to check with Mesa to see when it was made.

It's clear the amp was never taken out of the box. And, I doubt that there is any difference in something manf. this year or 2005, but it seems like it could influence the resale if I ever needed to sell it, and it honesly frosts me that he was somewhat disingenuous about how long he had the amp.

Part of me just says, "What the hell"...part of me says, "Take it back and buy one somewhere else even if I have to order it" and lastly tell him "I expect you to discount this amp to reflect a lower value".

Any thoughts about what you would do if this happened to you?

I went through the same thing w a Triaxis several years ago. GC had one or two in stock but they were all several years "old", but brand new in the box. No problems at all. I ordered a Mark IV in mid June and just got it last week but it sounds like some guys are waiting much longer.

Keep the amp.

Dan
www.undertheradarband.com

+1

Amps are not perishable food items---they don't spoil if they sit on the shelf.

If you are concerned with resale value already, you should be looking at used amps, not new ones.

It took me over 5 months to get a new Mark IV from Guitar Center. I am actually pretty pissed to hear they had one in stock at another store! They told me they did a search and no other stores in the USA had one.

Keep it

[KoolAIDMan Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took me over 5 months to get a new Mark IV from Guitar Center. I am actually pretty pissed to hear they had one in stock at another store! They told me they did a search and no other stores in the USA had one.

Keep it

In our area (Sacramento) GC is not a Mesa dealer...Northridge Music is. There is good and bad that goes with that. I really never thought that the owner of the store would sort of travel in half-truths. It appears that the damaged is nil other than just feeling that they cannot be trusted to be totally forthright.

Keep it, its a great amp.

I own a 1992 model and it is still rocking, probably will do so for another 15 or more years.

Latest posts

Back