New Mark IV-Depressed So Far

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still learning my new Mark IV as well and getting a tad frustrated. I put a quad of SED 6L6's in and that helped but it has the original preamp tubes still in it. I think I'll replace them all. Anyone have suggestions for preamp tubes?

I put Tung Sol's in mine. I like it, it seems to have a little more gain. They can get a little harsh on higher gain settings sometimes.

No...all these guys are wrong.

Your MarkIV just sucks, and it's hopeless. They're just stringing you along.

I'll be the only stand-up guy ON this board, and I'll give you $200 for it. I'll even pay for shipping.

I'd possibly try a different tube for V1....the Tung Sols are very high gain, and get quite spikey in high gain applications. The work great in the Rectifiers to brighten them up, but in the Mark IV, I think they will get harsh.

Otherwise, you're on your way to good tone!

Good old Mesa tubes work great for me. The combos are a bit looser sounding. A closed back cab will sound tighter, especially in the bass. Before building a cab, check out www.avatarspeakers.com. They have great prices and I've heard nothing but good things about their cabs.

One thing I've found is the Mk IV likes to be cranked up. It doesn't really start to sound awesome until you get past 4 or 5 on the master volume. You've gotta get those power tubes cookin' a bit. I've got a IVa with the EV speaker. It's really great, but at times I do wish I had a closed back cab for a tighter, smoother sound. I'm still toying with the idea of swapping for a head and cab setup.

I find my Mark IV also has a bit of a midrange hump in its response too (open back and EV speaker make it more pronounced). Great for cutting through and HUGE lead sounds, but at times it can get a little honky sounding if you're not careful. I like a deep V in the EQ for a tight heavy rhythm sound that sits well in the mix.

What tube would you suggest for the V1?

About the amp needed to be cranked, right now I'm using the amp for weekly worship band playing and home use. 4 or 5 on the master is just too loud unless the channel is at like 1 or 2. At home I can do it sometimes when no one is home, but when playing with the worship band I can't crank it quite that much due to the fact I will be too loud when mic'ed and the sound guy can't get me mixed in well.

Once I get back into a band and start rockin' I will be able to crank it a bit more.

I also have looked at Avatar speakers and while they have very good prices relatively speaking, I like the idea of building something as or nearly as good for 1/3 the price.

So I got the tubes in today that I ordered only Sunday from Canada (The Tube Store) and put all of em in shortly after.

I didn't notice much difference at first on the clean channel, thought it was going to sound the same.

Clicked over to the R2 channel and applied some settings and OH CRAP! There's what I've been searching for, a nice crisp crunch. Adjusted some more and got a very intensive, beautiful driving crunch.

Then after much hesitation, switched over to the lead which still had a john petrucci setting dialed in from before. It sounded awesome! The volume wasn't even loud, I had room to turn it up to where I like it which made it sound even Shredder!

It was definitely the tubes needing to be changed. I love this thing now and I can't wait to hear what else it can do as I get better at using it.

Thank you all for answering questions and being supportive.

For anyone who is wondering, I put 4 Sovtek 6L6 and 5 Tung Sol 12AX7 in it.

Shep said:
yeah dude you really need new tube's and a 4x12 before you can get a huge metal sound.. Just wait and see..

A thiele is what you need. That is a 1x12 extenson cab that mesa makes. Load it with an EV so you can crank it. That will give a Metal tone alright!. As good as a 4x12. Just a hell of a lot smalller and lighter.

Also..did you just buy the amp to sound like lamb of god? Because they are probably one of if not the worst representation of what a markiv sounds like, and what a markiv can do. Build a cab..that must be a joke. Mesa is in the amp business for a reason. The same reason you're not in it. It's a good business. Fork up the money and get a real cab already. stop trying to cut corners. That's what will make you sound like **** in the long run. BTW I'll give you 300(USD) +shipping!!!

I just got back from the studio. I put new EH 12ax7's in all the preamp slots. one rated for low noise and microphonics in V1, three rated for high gain in V2-V4 and one balanced tube in V5. I've always had good luck with EH 12ax7s. They're crisp and bright which is great in conjunction with my Les Paul which is really meaty sounding. I also have a new quad of SED 6L6's in there.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! The amp sounds absolutely STUNNING now! I was a bit worried that I just laid out a lot of cash for an amp I didn't like but after the tube change I have exactly the sound that I've always searched out.

WhooooooHooooooo! :D :D :D

About the cab, for some reason I don't like the idea of putting my combo on top of another 1x12. It would just look tall and weird.

But I am realizing it wouldn't be smart to build my own cab. I think I'm gonna go with an Avatar 2x12 with my EV Black Shadow and a V30. After I sell the second V30 that comes with it, it will only cost me around $200 for the cab and they make quality stuff.

I won't be doing this until over the summer when I have time to spend in the woodshop working on a headshell for the Mark IV. If for some reason I can't produce a decent headshell, then I will reconsider the extension.

BTW, what do they run for?

Thanks

Oh and for whoever said the comment about LOG, I really don't think they sound that good at all, but it's just the fact that the MIV can get that intense.

As musicians they are weak.

Bshizzle said:
About the cab, for some reason I don't like the idea of putting my combo on top of another 1x12. It would just look tall and weird. Thanks

It basically looks like a small 2x12 standing on end with some knobs on the top. Not that bad. IMO a combination of a MC90 in an open back and a C90 or EVM12L in a Theile is nearly perfect. The Theile gives you tight focused bass while the open back gives more depth. Mesa used to make a "Mark 2x12" which was an open back/closed back configuration.

I like to mix and match 1x12 cabs and they are easy to haul around. Two ways I get that configuration:

Boogies.jpg

those do look pretty cool, I may end up just picking up a 1x12 with a v30.
Mainly because I don't want to buy Mesa cause it's too much money.

Avatar Speakers makes nice stuff.

guess I had the same problem as you. But the amp is nearly new. Sound very thin. After playing for a while, it starts to crackle too. Guess I have to swap the tubes. Mesa is sending new now, but I don't know if it will solve the problem, since I have quite new tubes in it. But they crackle, as said before.

We're glad to hear it worked out. If you think it sounds good now, wait until you get a Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab and find some more settings. You're only getting started!

EirikBrandal- that's exactly how I felt and I wasn't sure if new tubes would change anything, but oh man did they. It sounds awesome. If you have newer tubes in it, then maybe something is wrong with it mechanically.

What tubes are in it now?

Latest posts

Back