New life! KT88/KT66

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Just installed a new integrated sextet KT88/KT66 from eurotubes! I could not be more impressed. This set was like adding turbo chargers to an already amazing amp. After spending a few hours I have her dialed in nicely! These were installed in a three channel recto. I highly suggest eurotubes to deal with for your tube needs.

I have KT88's in my (2) Triple 2 channel and an integrated quad KT88/66 in my Dual 2 channel, tone is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I wanna try this sooooo bad! I went with the KT77's from Eurotubes, which were a huge improvement over the Ruby EL-34's that came in my 2 channel Triple.

Do you guys have any experience with the 77's? I'd like to know the difference.

Also can you run all 66's? All 88's? Or can you only achieve the integrated sextet?

I also love the look of the big bottle KT's. I know nobody else cares but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside! HA!

The KT'77's are awesome, totally have that crunchy EL34 vibe but they are tighter with a better bottom end.

I run it through a Marshall 1960 with 2 of the 75's swapped out for vintage 30's. When I crank it at practice I can hear those vintage 30's kinda breakin up a little but it still has awesome low end from the 75's. It Kills.

But I definitely would love to try the 66/88 combo. Then I could swap every now and then for different flavors.

But then I would just want another triple so I could run two heads!! EPIC!!

Are you guys adjusting the bias to get the most out of those tubes when you're using the KT's? I can't imagine using KT88's in a Triple. Those have headroom for days stock. 88's would allow you to really open up the gain/channel knobs. I would rather see how these amps run with a set of vintage mil-spec 6550's.

^ also wondering if there are any mods or biasing needed to run KT's. KT88's draw a **** ton of power and quite different from EL34s or 6L6s...

Yeah, according to Authorized Boogie, running KT88s in a Recto is not a very good idea.

From http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=65824#p453678 :
Authorized Boogie said:
KT88's WILL damage your amp, as the transformer was not designed for the needs of a KT88. Period. It has nothing to do with OUR preference - but from a tech standpoint, who knows the design of our transformers and the requirements of a KT88 - we highly recommend not using KT88's in a recto. Of course, you're free to do what you want!

Latest posts

Back