need pictures of a midi equipped quad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FF5

Reaction score
i'm studying the possibility of equipping mine with midi, as it is less messy to attach one cable than 8 ones in a midi configuration. so i would really appreciate if anyone with a midi equipped quad can open it and take a couple of pictures to the board an specially where the midi cables connect on the board. thanks

You are probably better of talking to Mario at Axxess Electronics about getting a CFX 4 that will work, or some other switcher. there are others out there that cost more than the Axxess stuff.

Doing it yourself may be a lot tricky.

tim6string said:
You are probably better of talking to Mario at Axxess Electronics about getting a CFX 4 that will work, or some other switcher. there are others out there that cost more than the Axxess stuff.

Doing it yourself may be a lot tricky.

A pair of CFX-4's would allow you to control all 8 functions. You can attach those together and to the inside wall of your rack and only run one midi cable out to the footcontroller.

A Pair of CFX4s would do the trick, but I bet if you email Mario he just might be able to do a single CFX4 with a custom cable. I use one with my Mark IV and it is slick. He might not, but it is worth the check.

i have certainly thought about it. but it doesn't hurt to excercise knowledge a little bit. and i've also thought that having 8 cables is too much hassle, as oppose of having one single midi cable, no other rack gear in between.

i have Nobels MS8...
its also easier to program it directly from the front of the rack, one button to choose the function, and another to store :)

oh, and for some reason i believe that every quad comes midi equipped from factory, just without connectors. so some pictures might clear me that out.

The CFX4 won't work with the Quad. If you email Mario about it, he'll tell you that it burns out the relays or something to that effect. I was looking at getting one, but Mario himself steered me away. I ended up with a GCX to control my Quad.

I have a brandtstetter&rebholz midi switcher that had 4 stereo outs. You can use 4 (1stereo -> 2mono) cables to swich your quad! I use one with my mark IV but had no trouble switching the Quads!

I have a pic of a midi equipped quad, lemme find it and I'll post it up. Also, there is another piece of gear that will control the quad's functions via midi, I don't recall the name/brand though. I read about it on huge racks inc a few weeks back when I too was searching for a solution to this problem.

MJ

4nkam said:
I have a pic of a midi equipped quad, lemme find it and I'll post it up. Also, there is another piece of gear that will control the quad's functions via midi, I don't recall the name/brand though. I read about it on huge racks inc a few weeks back when I too was searching for a solution to this problem.

MJ

Rockman Octopus (or something to that effect... I think?)

Boogie actually made a few midi Quads. They are very rare. I saw one (with pictures on the front and rear panel) on Ebay a while ago.

I had a Quad with a toggle switch on the back labled midi/fu2, is that what you mean. There was no midi jack though.
I always thought that midi meant using a extarnal switcher on the function jacks on the back.

I own a MIDI equipped Quad.

The PCB is installed in place of the small reverb tank (which, of course, is missing). The MIDI connector are soldered directly to the PCB.

I don't know if retrofitting a non-MIDI Quad is all that interesting. The MIDI interface is quite old and it's not that flexible.

First off, you can just turn on channels (RHY1/LD1/RHY2/LD2) and EQ, you can't control REV cancel/boost, which may or may not be a problem depending on how you use this effect (I just leave it on with small mix settings, something between 2 or 3).

Secondly, you can't configure anything. You just have all preset and must stick with this. For example, MIDI PC 1 stands for "RHY1 EQ OFF", PC2 is for LEAD 1 EQ OFF", PC3 is "RHY1 EQ ON" and so on like this. You just can't configure it to have, for example, LEAD 2 EQ on on MIDI PC 3. This bores me quite alot because forces me to stick to a presettable MIDI controller, rather than a simpler (and smaller) controller like the Midibuddy.

Not to mention the lack of the small rev tank. I have no idea on how this effects the reverb sounds, but if you love your Quad's reverb I would think it twice before applying the mod.

I don't think you're still interested in these pics anymore, I just posted my message because it looks like no one here knows these MIDI equipped preamps and just wanted to leave this trace for the future, anyway if you need them, just let me know, I'll see what I can do.

What about the Mesa Midi matrix system?

I was thinking about getting that to my Quad.

Once you think about getting an external MIDI switcher, choices are countless.

Here in italy I can get a high-end half-rack unit switcher/router with 4 switches and 4 loops for as low as 400 bucks. I don't know the price of a MIDI Matrix, but for sure it takes 2U rack space. This means I have to carry around a 8 unit rack just for the basic amp :)

In the past there used to be a nice MIDI switcher (from Nobels, I think) which had 8 switches, and that was cheap too but now it looks like they dropped off production of this item.

Latest posts

Back