need cab advice for a DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF

Reaction score
I'm looking for a smaller cab, likely a 2x12 that i can use in smaller rooms. I'm using a straight closed back Randall 4x12 with V30's that i'm pretty happy with for larger situations.

Essentially right now i'm in two groups and want to use the DR for both, but the second group has a small rehearsal space so the 4x12 is overkill, not to mention i REALLY don't want to be hauling that thing around with me twice a week. For the last year it's been residing at the first bands rehearsal space and i intend to keep it there. So i'm looking for a smaller cab that will suit my needs, and that i could just keep at the rehearsal space and only have to cart the head around.

I'm going to be cruising some used shops this weekend so i'm looking for some advice and recommendations. Not brands specifically, but features that i should keep an eye out for. Should i stick with V30's? Do i want open back or closed? Things i should look for in the construction?

Thanks!

If you play hard rock and hi-gain, I think you definitely should stick with a closed back. My friend has the mesa 2x12 and it sounds great. V30's are recommended because they balance the lack of mids found in Rectifiers.

A Gflex ported 2x12 is also highly recommended.

Yeah i'll be playing mostly stoner rock/metal with this band, likely in vintage mode. I won't be going for heavily oversaturated gain (probably in the 12-1 range) but i do want a good low end.

So basically i should stick to something similar to what i already have then, just smaller.

By ported you mean has a smallish hole in the front baffle, right?

I'm having a blast using a 2x12 Recto cab with my DR Roadster. I settled on this cab after trying out a lot of cabs over the past couple of weeks. You can check out http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36269 for more details on how I thought the other cabs I tried sounded.

Thanks,
Supreeth

MF said:
Yeah i'll be playing mostly stoner rock/metal with this band, likely in vintage mode. I won't be going for heavily oversaturated gain (probably in the 12-1 range) but i do want a good low end.

So basically i should stick to something similar to what i already have then, just smaller.

By ported you mean has a smallish hole in the front baffle, right?

Yes, ported means there's holes to allow for extra air movement of the lower frequencies.

Thanks for the advice guys. i'm going to be travelling through Maine this weekend so i'm on the lookout for some deals. The unfortunate thing is that since i won't have my DR with me, i won't be able to get a real feel for how it's going to sound through a given cab unless the store happens to have one in stock. That's why i'm trying to get a good idea of what i want before i go.

I forgot to update this thread.

Of the few stores i visited in Maine, there were really slim pickins for 212's so i ended up taking a chance on an old beat up Randall 412 with rocket 50's in it that i found at a Daddy's Junky Music for $200. I figured if it didn't sound good with the DR i could sell it here easy enough and continue my search. I may still do that eventually and maybe order an Avatar cab or something along those lines.

Surprisingly though i've gotten a more than serviceable sound out of it that will work for the time being. It's a very light cab, probably made with particle board (it weighs less than half of what my other Randall does) and lacks a little in the low end but it's not bad. As a stop gap solution i'm pleased with it, considering the price paid.

At least now i get to enjoy my DR more than once a week :D . Now the search for a road case for it begins.....

I have a Vader 2x12 for my 2 Ch. Dual Recto. It's great. Lots of headroom and very clear. It has 2 120w Custom Eminence Speakers in it that are really flat. So, what you put into the cab, is what you get out of it. It handles low end extremely well and has very articulate high mids.

I suggest checking them out.

S.G

Plus their Canadian distributor is in Quebec, which is close to N.B. I am originally from Fredericton N.B., where in N.B. are you?

sdgiffin said:
I have a Vader 2x12 for my 2 Ch. Dual Recto. It's great. Lots of headroom and very clear. It has 2 120w Custom Eminence Speakers in it that are really flat. So, what you put into the cab, is what you get out of it. It handles low end extremely well and has very articulate high mids.

I suggest checking them out.

S.G

Plus their Canadian distributor is in Quebec, which is close to N.B. I am originally from Fredericton N.B., where in N.B. are you?

Saint (it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is) John.

I'll definitely look into Vader. It's hard to find distributors for a lot of the lesser known stuff in Canada.

K, i need cab help again as well.

I'm looking for a 1x12 cab for my Roadster to use for home playing. I've been checking out various used Mesa 1x12 cabs and there's a few on sale for a good price. the thing is a majority of them are either half or 3/4th closed.

I know for 4x12's I use all closed backs, I need that tight bass response for the Recto but on a 1x12 I'm thinking maybe I should let it breath?

Some people are telling me no, go with a fully closed 1x12
:?:

Elixir said:

I'm looking for a 1x12 cab for my Roadster to use for home playing. I've been checking out various used Mesa 1x12 cabs and there's a few on sale for a good price. the thing is a majority of them are either half or 3/4th closed.

I know for 4x12's I use all closed backs, I need that tight bass response for the Recto but on a 1x12 I'm thinking maybe I should let it breath?

If you want tight tracking, go with the fully closed back cabs. Can't decide? Go with a Road King cab... :p

Elixir said:

Look at the Freda cabs... their Live 1x12 cabs are suprisingly tight and have a huge sound due to the front vents. Also Port City Waves makes some great cabs that also use the front vent technology and make the cab sound bigger than it is without losing the tight bass response.

MF said:
Saint (it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is) John.

I'll definitely look into Vader. It's hard to find distributors for a lot of the lesser known stuff in Canada.

Good ol' stinky *** SJ. The majority of my relatives live in the SJ area (Quispam & Rothsay) and I love going there.
The Ale House man. Love it.

Definitely check out the Vaders. Chris @ Arsenal Music in Quebec has the Vaders. Here is his MySpace page.
http://www.myspace.com/arsenaldistributions

Good luck with the cab.

jdurso said:
Elixir said:

Look at the Freda cabs... their Live 1x12 cabs are suprisingly tight and have a huge sound due to the front vents. Also Port City Waves makes some great cabs that also use the front vent technology and make the cab sound bigger than it is without losing the tight bass response.

Yeah I've heard of the Port City, they're so **** ugly though.

Can someone comment on a Thiele 1x12 vs a widebody 3/4th closed 1x12 (both boogies, both with c90s)

People have been bringing up the Thiele, i've never played one though.

Latest posts

Back