need cab advice for a DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One word: THIELE!!!!!!

They simply sound way bigger than they are. The front vent makes for a nice open clean sound and the gain channel thumps like crazy! The smaller cab makes it tighter than a 4 x 12 as well, which is really nice. I have a DYI Thiele with a G12m Heritage and a Hellatone 60L (v30 from Avatar) and it sounds absolutely huge and incredible. Biggest sound one can ever expect from a 2 x 12.

MF said:
I forgot to update this thread.

Of the few stores i visited in Maine, there were really slim pickins for 212's so i ended up taking a chance on an old beat up Randall 412 with rocket 50's in it that i found at a Daddy's Junky Music for $200. I figured if it didn't sound good with the DR i could sell it here easy enough and continue my search. I may still do that eventually and maybe order an Avatar cab or something along those lines.

Surprisingly though i've gotten a more than serviceable sound out of it that will work for the time being. It's a very light cab, probably made with particle board (it weighs less than half of what my other Randall does) and lacks a little in the low end but it's not bad. As a stop gap solution i'm pleased with it, considering the price paid.

At least now i get to enjoy my DR more than once a week :D . Now the search for a road case for it
begins.....

I just saw this thread and I was just going to reccomend Randall cabs. I have 2. My old angled 4x12 is solid birch and heavy as hell, My second one is the same generation as the rocket 50 cab you just bought, but is the 2x12/1x15 is 3/4" birch plywood and it is VERY light in comparison. It is even lighter than my particle board Peavey cab. I love Randall cabs. They are the most punchy sounding cabs I've ever run through.

yup that one is seriously light. My other Randall (R412CB) is solid birch too and it's a much heftier cab that weighs almost 100lbs. I like it a lot. I think they retailed for a bit less than a Marshall 1960, but i grabbed it during a musicians friend sale for almost half of what a 1960 normally costs and free shipping to boot.

Latest posts

Back