NCD ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilerty

Reaction score
Just picked up the Mesa Compact 1X12 ported widebody cabinet I ordered to go with my Mark V combo.

Markvcab002.jpg

Looks fantastic! Give us a little feedback on how it added to your sound. I just completed a purchase of a Port City 2x12 Wave cabinet, looking forward to passing on the review to the folks on the board here.

So, how's it sound??

I have a Mark 5 combo and was using a Mesa Theile 1x12 for wet sounds. Decided to try the Theile as the main cab.. whoa! what a difference! The tones controls have a much more defined impact through the closed back Theile.

Jim Ed Love said:
I'll take one in cream please. 8)

Me too! With tan corners and grille.

How did it help your sound? I may start a thread asking that very question... I'm considering a cab to go with my combo and would love suggestions.

I have a combo and added a (non-Mesa) EVM-12L-loaded Theile cab. My sound is much fuller and more massive with the extra cab than with the combo alone, and I have more bass response.

pilgrimx said:
Jim Ed Love said:

How did it help your sound? I may start a thread asking that very question... I'm considering a cab to go with my combo and would love suggestions.

I just bought a Port City 2x12 Wave cab with a V30 and Greenback installed. It is, by far, the best cabinet I have ever owned. I've owned a Mesa Vertical 2x12, had an Orange PPC212, a Mesa 4x12, and an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12. I still have the Vertical Recto Cab that I run with the Port City cab. The wave cabinet has the best combination of great bass response, the right mids to get over drums, and it really eliminated the really ice-picky treble that we often read about. It's a fairly compact cabinet too, much lighter than any of the cabs mentioned above. It is available in an over-size 2x12 and 4x12 as well. Dan Klein, the sales guy at Port City, was just phenomenal! He responded to e-mails promptly and even called me to suggest speaker combinations that work best for my style and amplifier type. Build quality is exceptional and looks great with the Mesa. The Mark V combo would look just as nice as my head does on top of it. Hope this is of some value to you guys.

smd24fan said:
pilgrimx said:
Jim Ed Love said:

I just bought a Port City 2x12 Wave cab with a V30 and Greenback installed. It is, by far, the best cabinet I have ever owned. I've owned a Mesa Vertical 2x12, had an Orange PPC212, a Mesa 4x12, and an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12. I still have the Vertical Recto Cab that I run with the Port City cab. The wave cabinet has the best combination of great bass response, the right mids to get over drums, and it really eliminated the really ice-picky treble that we often read about. It's a fairly compact cabinet too, much lighter than any of the cabs mentioned above. It is available in an over-size 2x12 and 4x12 as well. Dan Klein, the sales guy at Port City, was just phenomenal! He responded to e-mails promptly and even called me to suggest speaker combinations that work best for my style and amplifier type. Build quality is exceptional and looks great with the Mesa. The Mark V combo would look just as nice as my head does on top of it. Hope this is of some value to you guys.

I keep seeing/hearing good things about these cabs. They must use the same musk that Mesa uses, because in a world of options, the PC cabs are the "chosen ones". Like the BB Preamp and Winged C's, they've become ubiquitous around here. I have, as I mentioned, a cream and tan combo. I wonder if they can accommodate? Everything that you mentioned is everything I'd like to accomplish--less ice pick, fuller low end, strong mids. I will now do some investigating. Thanks.

smd24fan said:
pilgrimx said:
Jim Ed Love said:

nice gear!!!!!!!!!! love my PC cabs :wink:

If you can find, borrow and make all efforts to certainly try a pair, or more extravagantly, two pairs of old mesa 1x12 EV loaded cabs ( chrome corners preferably ) and you will be amazed at the difference these wonderful antiques make to your tone.
Over twenty years I expanded my Mk 1V combo (which was EV loaded) to sit atop a closed back EV Thiele which enhanced the bottom end considerably, but still retained those zingy highs with the all important clean headroom that the EVs provide, that enable you to hear the inherent sonic musicality of the guitar you are playing rather than the homogenised 'Oh yes,that's a Boogie/Marshall/Fender' sound.
Eventually I switched the combo for a Mk1V head and sourced an EV loaded halfback mesa 1x12, again chrome cornered and with the white Mesa/Boogie logo and stuck that atop the Thiele and gigged this immensely portable rig for years all over the UK, and this was no cheap fix as Mesa gear is eyewateringly expensive here in England !
Undeterred I set out on my own personal quest for the Holy Grail (tone) and found a matched pair of Boogie 1x12s, one Thiele and one halfback(both EV loaded), remortgaged the house and had a virtual 4x12 that I could mix and match to suit any gigging occasion.
From jazz with my Gibson 175, using just two cabs, with the mellow warmth of the humbuckers perfectly complemented by the deep resonances afforded by the Thiele and the halfbacks giving that crucial 'edge over harshness' bite when necessary in the neck pickup position the EVs deliver.
Then put the hammer down and unleash the Gibson Les Paul DeLuxe and nail those magical Pete Townsend Augmented chords at full chat with no help from extraneous stompboxes, just judicious use of EQ and gainstages and use the guitar's volume and tone controls, because that is why they are there, and so Mk 1V + EV = Perfection. A perfect equation.
So what does Mr Smith do then ? He brings out the Mark Five. I have to have it.
Nine months, yes nine months later and my wife and child now sold into slavery and my lands and estates now seized by the Crown. However I am blessed with the most versatile rig ever bar none (and the Mark V betters the 1V to these most English of ears because you can tweak the V to attain the best of 1V) and my quest is over.
'Belay your talk of Mark Five Bs
These are already the Bs knees
And no Mark six if you please
Iv'e aught left eer you squeeze'

ave said:
If you can find, borrow and make all efforts to certainly try a pair, or more extravagantly, two pairs of old mesa 1x12 EV loaded cabs ( chrome corners preferably ) and you will be amazed at the difference these wonderful antiques make to your tone.
Over twenty years I expanded my Mk 1V combo (which was EV loaded) to sit atop a closed back EV Thiele which enhanced the bottom end considerably, but still retained those zingy highs with the all important clean headroom that the EVs provide, that enable you to hear the inherent sonic musicality of the guitar you are playing rather than the homogenised 'Oh yes,that's a Boogie/Marshall/Fender' sound.
Eventually I switched the combo for a Mk1V head and sourced an EV loaded halfback mesa 1x12, again chrome cornered and with the white Mesa/Boogie logo and stuck that atop the Thiele and gigged this immensely portable rig for years all over the UK, and this was no cheap fix as Mesa gear is eyewateringly expensive here in England !
Undeterred I set out on my own personal quest for the Holy Grail (tone) and found a matched pair of Boogie 1x12s, one Thiele and one halfback(both EV loaded), remortgaged the house and had a virtual 4x12 that I could mix and match to suit any gigging occasion.
From jazz with my Gibson 175, using just two cabs, with the mellow warmth of the humbuckers perfectly complemented by the deep resonances afforded by the Thiele and the halfbacks giving that crucial 'edge over harshness' bite when necessary in the neck pickup position the EVs deliver.
Then put the hammer down and unleash the Gibson Les Paul DeLuxe and nail those magical Pete Townsend Augmented chords at full chat with no help from extraneous stompboxes, just judicious use of EQ and gainstages and use the guitar's volume and tone controls, because that is why they are there, and so Mk 1V + EV = Perfection. A perfect equation.
So what does Mr Smith do then ? He brings out the Mark Five. I have to have it.
Nine months, yes nine months later and my wife and child now sold into slavery and my lands and estates now seized by the Crown. However I am blessed with the most versatile rig ever bar none (and the Mark V betters the 1V to these most English of ears because you can tweak the V to attain the best of 1V) and my quest is over.
'Belay your talk of Mark Five Bs
These are already the Bs knees
And no Mark six if you please
Iv'e aught left eer you squeeze'

FANTASTIC!

Back