NAD back to Boogie!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnisen

Reaction score
:) Hi well about a year ago after owning a roadster then I bought a Lonestar Special used. It was great but the it started having problems let me down at a gig and luckily i did have a back up rig but it was my own fault never take someones word that the tube are barely used. Even though I was at fault I couldn't trust the amp again so I sold it. I bought a Marshall that was good but something just wasn't there. Then I bought a boutique completely hand built amp which I helped designed and actually built cab and head shell both dovetailed look great sounds great but just not quite as good in the clean as I'd like and is a single channel with a lead boost. Then I found a deal on what most Marshall owner claim is the best the jcm 800. On the low input sounds great however the transformer is original and has this annoying hum unless you are plugged in the low input I had it checked twice by my tech he's actually also a Mesa certified tech and he said it was just how some of the drake transformers were. I suppose I could have changed them but then what spend all the money and at the same time ruin the value because now the amp is not stock.So I still have the amp but I can't use it out so back to my Haas boutique I went.Well I was at the music store today and they were just unpacking a black lonestar special, Mike the owner of the store try it out,so I figured why not. Man! I am really glad I did I must have played for an hour and as soon as I fired it up I knew I found what was missing the dynamic and the sparkle! I forgot what a great amp it is! I'm definatly gonna keep it this time, the only thing is the gain on the amp is not as full I want I'm still working on dialing it back in,however I must say truly Mesa Rules!

Thanks! Might be a show but not sure. With all the reality shows probably! :lol:

Congrats on the Mesa. My lonestar is my go to gig amp and I also have a Jmp 2203. Your Marshall problem may be preamp tubes. My JMP was noisy till I found the right mix of preamp tubes. I also noticed that the amps noise changes based on where it is placed n the room. One of the transformers had a slight hum but I tightened the nuts on the bell housing a little and it went away.

I get a lot more complements on tone with my Mesa though

Thanks!I ll check the transformers I have tried lots of preamps in the Marshall so hopefully the tightening works. I do agree that the Mesa tone is much better and of can handle a broader spectrum of music styles definatly the right choice.

Latest posts

Back