My new MkIII: Update with specifics ...please help :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well if any have been checking out my continuing saga of my new MkIII head acquisition, it finally arrived. As I had mentioned before, it was with some trepidation that I bought it, but at 5 bills, I rolled the dice. To recap, she is a Simul head with graphic, rack kit (no cab), no reverb.

The new info (now that I have it in my hands), is what stripe it is (which was originally represented to me as a Blue when I pulled the trigger, but then was "in question" of it being Green once it got shipped!! Well to my eyes, it looks like a Green stripe. BUT, the switch on the back says Simul/Class A ...will the Green Stripe still say "Class A" even if it isn't really??

It also is date marked 8/89 and initialed by what looks like MB ...Mr B himself, you think?? And has a fan with its power wire "plugged" (like an ac outlet) right next to the biggest of the trannies (far left looking at it from the rear). Looks pretty stock to me, but I wouldn't know. Did Mesa do that?

If it helps ID it's Stripe, the following tranny numbers are:

-- The marked "SimulClass" tranny's number is 562 003
-- another marked "Mesa 561 100"
-- the other marked "Mesa 550 381"

Plus the "EIA 606-904" which seems to be stmped on two of the trannies.
So what do I have, Green or Blue?

Also, for any who know tubes, there are "Bogner" branded EL 34s and 12AX7s. The 6L6s are Mesa 420s.

Overall, this amp looks really old, and mostly in "stored" condition if the cobwebs and dust are any indication. Nothing glaringly evil, and just a very light surface rust on the trannies. I will crack it open and look/clean inside, but decided to write this to you all first. Any help and insight will be greatly appreciated!!!

Edward

562003 = simul output tranny . :D

56100 = power transformer . :D

The nifty fan plug is very common on mesa amps . 8)

If you can post some photo's of the guts , I will compare them to other g.s. III pics I have archived .

When you open it up you will see MB's and other initials all through the amp .

500$ is a great deal . Congrats .

MB's initials should be on the back. if they werent there I'd be concerned. the green stripes have been known to look blue sometimes. and the blues can kinda look turquoise. at 6/89 I'm gonna guess that its a blue stripe. Don't get too concerned about the stripe, as look as it sounds good. the green stripes are class A, like the rest of the simul-classes. the difference is that in the green stripe, the outer pair of tubes is wired class A pentode vs. class A triode in the Blue's. this gives it about 10 extra watts out of the outer pair of tubes. so the overall output power of a green is 85 watts, vs 75 in the earlier marks

Hi all,

First off, thanks again for all the feedback ...you guys are great, as always.

I gave you all the tranny numbers, and forgot the s/n ...ha! Here's the s/n off the back: 25543

I clean it up and it's looking better. The guts look unmolested and clean. I then plugged her in and got great R1 cleans right off the bat. R2 wasn't bad either ...will play with that more.

BUT ...Lead sounds atrociously bad!! Grainy, coarse (like a cheap fuzzbox), and NONE of that smooth/creamy boogie overdrive. For reference, my DC5 kicks major tone butt, which is why I have kept it for nearly a decade now and don't foresee ditiching it ever. I recently did some tube swaps in the DC to make it even more smooth. So what gives? I know the III has a great rep so I'm not abandoning her, but the lead has GOT to sound better than this. Old tubes maybe??

BTW, what's the tube map for the III head no reverb (ax7s arranged w/ 3 in a row and 1 above). Thanks!

Edward

First I would replace every tube in it, any time I get a used amp (or new amp) the tubes get replaced if I think it doesn't sound up to par. The order (I believe) will be v1 far right and v4 will be the one above. I think these are some great settings, especially when learning the amp

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

Latest posts

Back