My New Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedro

Reaction score
Just bought a Mark V this past Saturday... so here we go.

I've spent plenty of time with the amp; tried sample settings from the manual and also some of your settings from the thread here.

Guys, I'm really frustrated. I just can't get a tone that I like. I'm refering to channels 2 and 3. I can't get a high-ish gain sound without too much fizz or grit. When I play a chord, it's just too brittle. I hear more of the brittleness than the actually notes. And single notes sound thin. I'm not playing at a bedroom volume, nor am I diming the amp.

Barring a malfunction, which I don't there is, is there something I'm missing? Something to make me go "ahhh, that's it" ? I really want to like this amp. And I don't feel i should have to buy a graphic eq or compressor; not for a $2k amp.

Other than the amp, I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers, straight into the amp. Cabinet is a Lopo 2x12 horizontal. Speakers are Eminence Governors.

Oh yes, and EL34s in the amp.

Thanks. I'd appreciate your input.

My fav tone on the amp is CH2, Mark 1 mode, give it pentode, gain 1-2 o'clock, master noon, treble 1o'ck, mid 10o'ck, bass 10 o'ck, presence 11 o'ck, EQ on preset about 9 o'ck. Should be a real nice fat warm sound. Any wattage is good for this, but 90 watts it will be a little brighter so back of the presence and treble if you feel like it.

Note that i prefer 6L6's. Think it gives more body in the low end. It comes with em...

check out http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear and scroll to the bottom where 2 sets of settings for ch 1/2/3 are posted for diff amp circuits in each channel that he uses.

Channel 2 - Crunch, Channel 3 - Mark IV, Channel 3 - Extreme settings kick ***...
Also..pay attention to the GEQ .

Are u running anything in the FX loop ? If yes..what are they?

Come on man. :roll: How can anyone offer you advice if we don't know what settings you are using. All I can say is presence down, 750 slider up.

+1 for 6L6. I prefer them over the EL34's. It definitely does sound more percurssive / metal. However, if you're into other genres...most ppl like EL34's.

+2 for the 750K slider tip. I can't stress enough how big a role the GEQ plays in shaping your sound. Keep the mid lows and mid highs on the higher side...rest..do whatever your ears tell you.

Also..if you have anything in your fx loop, you need to make sure they are level matched..and are either true by-pass or have high quality buffers in them...else you're surely introducing the fizz that way.

If you can't find a useful tone after dialing it for a few days it's not the right amp for you. It shouldn't be that hard.

jabberwocker said:
If you can't find a useful tone after dialing it for a few days it's not the right amp for you. It shouldn't be that hard.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Before you return it though try it out with a different cab. Also, are your speakers broken in or are they new as well?

I felt like my single Rec was a little fizzy, I am going to switch out the bridge pick up to something with less high end (tone zone) I really like the tone with less gain, so I am hoping maybe the new pick up will allow me to turn up the gain while not having the same fizz. Something to think about

It'd be much easier if you told us what kind of sound you're going for.

Also, make sure the FX send knob in the back is set at or near 12:00. When I first got my Mark V mine was maxed out and I remember the results being somewhat akin to broken glass....

ixoye777 said:
jabberwocker said:

Was thinking the exact same thing. Before you return it though try it out with a different cab. Also, are your speakers broken in or are they new as well?

It's a very good point. Just disappointing if I can't get some sounds going on this amp. I was really hoping this would be THE amp.

My speakers are broken in. I tried another cab/speakers earlier today. A 2x12 with Texas Heats. Very different sound. A little murky/blanketed. Sort of in the right direction but maybe too far. Really had to crank the highs to get the sound to jump out whereas before with cab#1, I was backing off the highs and presence a LOT.

I would welcome a new cab into the fold if it did the trick. May try that after the Black Friday craziness is over.

FWIW, the tones I go for aren't radical or very heavy. Mainly classic rock and metal for rhythms. For leads I'm a big fan a Neal Schon's tone on Captured. And of course Lukather back when he played Les Pauls (which probably meant he was playing Marshalls, too).

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna try some more with cab#2 tomorrow morning.

screamingdaisy said:
It'd be much easier if you told us what kind of sound you're going for.

Also, make sure the FX send knob in the back is set at or near 12:00. When I first got my Mark V mine was maxed out and I remember the results being somewhat akin to broken glass....

Really? Hmmmm. I'm not using my FX loop just yet, I don't think I've got it on or engaged or whatever. I haven't looked much at the back panel. Will definitely give it a look.

Jedro said:
I tried another cab/speakers earlier today. A 2x12 with Texas Heats. Very different sound. A little murky/blanketed. Sort of in the right direction but maybe too far. Really had to crank the highs to get the sound to jump out whereas before with cab#1, I was backing off the highs and presence a LOT.

I wasn't totally happy until I started using a Recto cab with mine (2x12 or 4x12... I like both). My previous cab (Orange) was too bright/scratchy on the top end yet produced a muddy bottom end at the same time.

I'm not much of a classic rock type of dude, but I let a dude who was play through my rig for a couple of hours at a jam last weekend and I thought it sounded outstanding. I was actually kind of surprised that a Recto 2x12 would sound right for that kind of music... or maybe the dude just had magic fingers?

Burstbuckers are too bright with the wrong cab and speakers. I was playing a lp standard through a marshall 410 and a widebody front ported mesa cab, but when I got my standard with burstbuckers it was too brittle. I got a mesa traditional 412 with black shadow c90's and it sounds fucking killer now! :mrgreen:

I have the combo with C90 and find it too fizzy and harsh playing alone next to the amp.
i have another 2x12 box with one CL80 and one V30..
Funny enough, i absolutely hated the V30 with the Mesa/Boogie Quad.. and it sounds great through C90...
but the V30 sounds awesome with Mark V! :?
Its really frustrating because I already sold that v30 before i knew that (the new owner just didnt come to pick it up yet.)

Try this; turn off the loop ( Switch on back of amp) And just fiddle around with chan. 1 on tweed for a bit. get a clean sound you like. Next chan 2 on crunch mode get a sound with some heavy dirt . chan 3 a Carlos' sound. Then go back and balance the volumes. Next turn on the loop and switch the EQ to PRESET on all 3 chanels. Run 1 at 10:00 2 at 12:00 and 3 at 1:00. sometimes you are fighting the graphic EQ because it is not easy to dial it in. see if that helps..... 45 watts diode setting....

primeholy said:
Burstbuckers are too bright with the wrong cab and speakers. I was playing a lp standard through a marshall 410 and a widebody front ported mesa cab, but when I got my standard with burstbuckers it was too brittle. I got a mesa traditional 412 with black shadow c90's and it sounds f%&# killer now! :mrgreen:

When using PAF style pickups into a high gain amp it helps to dial the tone knob on the guitar back. Thickens the sound up a lot. Mine generally sit around 7 on the tone knob, although I'll bump it up to 8 if I need a little more edge to my tone.

Hi everyone

I really appreciate all the ideas. I'm really thinking I have to try a different cabinet/speakers. It's just strange when you have a cab that you think sounds great and a new amp makes you think twice about that. Cab#2 was definitely in the right direction.

One thing... this morning I was switching channels and switched from ch.2 to ch.3 and it was SILENT. switched right back to ch.2 and nothing. All three channels were dead silent. I had volumes up and hadn't changed anything. I clicked the reverb switch on the footswitch and everything came right back. I thought i was crazy for a minute but it happened again later.

Something's wrong.

Jedro said:
Hi everyone

I really appreciate all the ideas. I'm really thinking I have to try a different cabinet/speakers. It's just strange when you have a cab that you think sounds great and a new amp makes you think twice about that. Cab#2 was definitely in the right direction.

One thing... this morning I was switching channels and switched from ch.2 to ch.3 and it was SILENT. switched right back to ch.2 and nothing. All three channels were dead silent. I had volumes up and hadn't changed anything. I clicked the reverb switch on the footswitch and everything came right back. I thought i was crazy for a minute but it happened again later.

Something's wrong.
Disconnect the footswitch, and use the rear panel switch to change channels. The fooswitch cable has been a known issue for a good while now.

Try these settings out. I am using a 212 recto cab with V30s. I am not sure how much you have experimented with the EQ controls yet but you definitely need to throw out most logic that you have used to dial in previous amp you have had up to this point. The Mark V is for a lack of a better term "Quirky" when it comes to it's EQ controls. An Example would be in Channel 2 if you have it set to Mark 1 and Mark 1 thick. Completely remove the Bass and max out the Treble, Presence at around 2:30, Gain to taste and dial in the preset EQ knob to about 12 to 1 oclock. I find this to be a very nice rhythm sound. If fact at my last gig, the sound man said that this amp was in the top 3 amps he has every heard! I thought that was pretty **** impressive!

Also when using the Edge mode... Remove most or all of the treble and presence when in this mode and dial in a little more bass. Excellent Classic rock tone.

If none of this works for you, and your hearts IS completely into this amp, try swapping out preamp tubes. You may have something going on here that is preventing you from dialing in a nice tone. And as already discussed.... it could just be your cabinet.

Chan. 1
FAT
NORMAL
90 Watts
Gain 11 oclock
Master 7:45 oclock
Presence 11 oclock
Treble 12:45 oclock
Mid 11 oclock
Bass 10 oclock
Diode
EQ set to preset 1:30 oclock