My new Mark III help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellowtronic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a Mark III Blue Stripe. A few questions. First, what is the proper tube placement? I'm sure it's been covered, but I havent been able to find it via search. I was told it's 6l6's in the outer sockets and EL 34's in the inner sockets, but the guy who sold me the amp tells me it's 6l6's on the inside, and el34 on the outside. What's the story. Would doing the reverse cause some problems?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but should there be a small buzz coming from the amp? I don't hear it while, playing, but when not playing, I can def hear it. Not overwhelming, just louder than my previous tube amps. Please advise.

EL34s go on the outside sockets only. I'm not sure what the effect is if you put the EL34s in the inside sockets, but you're definitely not supposed to.

Do you hear the buzz when you're on any of the modes, or just the lead mode? The Mark III is a very high-gain amp and is capable of getting pretty noisy if you don't watch it. If you're hearing it on R1, though, that sounds wrong...are you using it with single-coil or humbucking pickups?

Mellowtronic said:
Just picked up a Mark III Blue Stripe. A few questions.
you can download the manual from here:
http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

It def is on R1. Could be a ground problem in my house though, as the further I move away, the less severe it seems to be. It's not very loud. Should r1 be dead silent?

With my Mark III R1 is pretty quiet for the most part, but I also get some electrical interference in some situations. If the amount of noise changes as you move around the room, it's probably not your amp.

Mellowtronic said:
It def is on R1. ... as the further I move away, the less severe it seems to be.

What kind of guitar do you have? If it has to do with the location of your guitar relative to the amp then it could just be normal.

You probably won't blow it up, but the amp will sound like s**t with the EL-34s in the inner sockets. RTM. Twice.
Humbuckers or not, all amps will hum if your standing right next to it with the guitar plugged in.
Got fluorescent lights or a dimmer switch anywhere in the house? House more than twenty/thirty years old? Computers nearby?
More hum sources.
Anything else plugged in to the A/C that's also plugged into the guitar/amp, like effects?
Ground loop(s) are a possibility.
When you step on or whip your cable around (when plugged in), do you hear crackling noises?
Could be cheap and/or microphonic cables.
Girlfriend/wife/family pet in estrus? Could be... oh, wait... maybe not that one.

Latest posts

Back