My new Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecek

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my firs post. I'm a italian guy and I'm sorry for my bad english, but in Italy there are no forums on mesa boogie.
Yesterday I bought a mesa mark IIB and it seems to me in really good conditions, but I don't know so much about this kind of amps...I'm a marshall plexi guy until the other day ;)
The amp is 100% original. It comes with
-no reverb
-effects loop
-slave out
-graphic eq
-100/60W (no simul class)
-voltage selector

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Can someone provide me more information? For example the year, and some tricks...

nobody?

this is a video of the amp.
soon I'm going to record a comparison between the 2B, an old fender bandmaster and my plexi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfEruLmWTM&list=UUpKbRdquvoiVN0C-KLnC2SA&index=1

Welcome to the Boogie Family, that's a beautiful amp! I've got a Mark III, so I'm not sure if the settings and tricks would be the same, I'd be interested to know how similar the settings would be.

Sean

Welcome my friend !! Wow nice amp 8)
For the date, you have to check under the chassis where the tube are. You gonna find a hand write date with a magic marker.

And for the rest of your question check some topic like this one http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=59554
or ask to "mark2boogie" he knows everything about Mark IIA nad Mark IIB :D

Hi Sean...At the moment, my settings for a warm blues to hard rock tone are:
-V1: 6
-T:8/pulled
-B:2
-M:2
-M1: as much as I can
-LD: 5
-LM: generally about 2-3
-EQ: it's a little scooped on the mids and pushed on the 6.6K
-presence it's around 8-9
The amp runs 60W in 4ohm
Tubes in the power stage are mesa 6L6 GC str-415. In the preamp are mesa 12ax7, but I'm going to try other tubes in this stage.

On the pedalboard I have two main overdrive pedals. The first is the classic ibanez TS808 with all knobs on 12 o'clock (sometimes I set the tone knob at 1/4). The second is a "tube screamer-esque" overdrive, called overcat drive made by Advance, a nice italian brand. I use this pedal as a boost with little gain, good for drive a clean sound.
the two pedals engaged together give me a nice lead tone with smooth highs.

Rhoads said:
Welcome my friend !! Wow nice amp 8)
For the date, you have to check under the chassis where the tube are. You gonna find a hand write date with a magic marker.

Thanks...
Next to the power is written "981". May it mean 1981?
..But..I've seen you have a C+.
In italy it's pretty difficult to find these amps (not only the c+, but also the mark1 and mark2 series in general). One friend of mine has got the C+ coliseum..it's awesome.

thecek said:
On the pedalboard I have two main overdrive pedals. The first is the classic ibanez TS808 with all knobs on 12 o'clock (sometimes I set the tone knob at 1/4). The second is a "tube screamer-esque" overdrive, called overcat drive made by Advance, a nice italian brand. I use this pedal as a boost with little gain, good for drive a clean sound.
Why do a lot of people use various overdrive pedals for their lead sound when they have a boogie mark amp?I love the overdrive sound on a MKIIB.I just don't understand why so many people use pedals for their lead sound?As a slight booster for the "clean" channel yeah but why for the lead sound?

MK IIB said:
thecek said:
Why do a lot of people use various overdrive pedals for their lead sound when they have a boogie mark amp?I love the overdrive sound on a MKIIB.I just don't understand why so many people use pedals for their lead sound?As a slight booster for the "clean" channel yeah but why for the lead sound?

you're right, but for me there are three main reasons...
the first is that I use the same pedalboard with my marshall plexy, which is a single-channel amp, so you can't get a lead tone without pedals.
Second, generally I don't use every OD at the same time. I use different OD for different tones. One is setted for single coil guitars, while another is setted for humbucking guitars. For example, maybe the humbucker is too bright? No problem, I close the tone knob of the TS808.
Third, I don't use OD pedals like distortion pedals. I use them more like a boost. In my opnion, if you want a more overdriven tone is better to use two gain stage, so you can adjust the tone more effectively.

Latest posts

Back