My Mark V head is here!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob A.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my Mark V head arrived on Thursday night. I didn't wan to post anything until I was able to spend some time playing it. Just some initial impressions:

The clean channel is awesome! This was by far the easiest to dial in. Right now I'm running it in Fat mode with Gain at 12:00, master at 11:00, presence 11:00, treble 12:00, mid 9:00, bass 12:00, eq preset engaged, 10:30. It moves some air, has a gret top end detail, and sounds very three dimensional. TONS of headroom here, it willl not break up unless you want it to, which is more than do-able in tweed mode. I haven't spent a lot of time on tweed or clean, but I can say that tweed sounds awesome in 10-watt mode, great bluesy roots rock breakup. I'm really happy with the reverb as well, very deep and lush, almost Fender-ish.

As for channel 2 and 3, these are very much a work in progress. Mark 1 mode in channel 2 is really ballsy and crunchy, i think it would make a great heavy rhythm sound if I could brighten it up some more, which I'm still trying to find a way to do. In channel 3 I'm really liking Mark II c+ run in Triode. I'm still trying to learn how the controls interact and how to dial these channels in. This is my first experience with a Mark series amp, so I need to take the time to learn how to get the sounds I want. I know they're in there because I can get close, but theres still some tweaking to do.

If anyone is interested, the serial number is MK5-030. I'll post more about the amp as I learn more. Anyone still waiting impatiently for their head: hang in there, it will be worth the wait!

I'm in Binghamton, NY and I ordered my head on 2/18 from Mesa Hollywood. As for the cabinet, I'm using it with a Carvin 4x12 that I've had for about 13 years, it has Eminence made "British Series" speakers, which are very comparable to a Vintage 30. I've always been happy with this cabinet, and the speakers are still going strong. I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul Classic with Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (bridge) and '59 (neck) pickups.

I hate to disappoint anyone looking for clips, but I don't do much home recording and am not set up for anything that will give you an accurate idea of what the amp can do, so I doubt I'll be posting any. There is another guy with a head that has posted some great clips so far.

I forgot to mention earlier, the amp takes to pedals beautifully. My Fulltone OCD sounds incredible with the clean channel, as does my Voodoo Labs Tremolo, which always tended to push the preamp too hard on other amps I've used.

Congratulations Bob!! That is great news. The serial number part of your post is very cool... yours being "30" while earlier combo posts stated "118" or thereabouts. Could they have been sandbagging the heads for some reason and shipping them out later? In any event, you have a Mark V head and it sounds like it does not disappoint.

My salesguy said that the Hollywood location, being its flagship dealer, gets priority over everyone else. The fact that they got one in means the rest are on their way. Nice work Bob!

does the presence control on your clean channel do almost nothing like mine?
~mike~

Back