My Mark IV is too much for my lame *** band

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bummed.

Last night I took my Mark IV to band practice.

I had it set to Triode, Class A, Tweed Voltage, with EL-34's.

Master Volume at 3
Channel Outputs at 1-3

I ended up using it with the Master at 1 1/2. I had no sustain, crackly distortion, the usual when you can't turn up loud enough.

I'm totally bummed. I am either going to have to only use my DC-2 (which is a very nice amp, but no EQ) or get an attenuator.

If I use an attenuator, then it's just one more thing to plug in. Amp, G-Major, Footswitch, Compressor Pedal, Tuner Pedal, Bad Horsie II, and Attenuator.

So much for less clutter with a combo.

How do other Mark IV users cope with this?

I used to use my Mark IV without an attenuator and it sounded really good. Enough gain and sustain, make sure you have the lead drive and lead gain up.

I did switch to the hotplate because the amp seemed to get lost as the night went on. Plus I am not a fan of a ton of preamp distortion. I actually run the amp into the hotplate set to load, then line out through the GMajor (effects after the amp) then into a Lee Jackson perfect connection to get volume for my 4x12s. The power amp part can be a little tricky, because it is not a tone generator just a replicator so it cannot change the tone too much. People are using the Lee Jackson (no longer made) the Carvin (I think the 120) or the H&H (heavy pig) to reamp like this. It gives the amp some depth and beef.

While it is better, I think the Mark IV alone should sound pretty **** good. Make sure you have the levels set correctly on the GMajor. Turning down the channel master decreases the signal into the effects loop

Hi,

I use my MK IV combo mostly at home in a hobby room. My usual settings of the power stage ( 4 x STR 425 5881-6L6 ) are mainly Tweed Power, Class A and Triode. With the Output Level set between 2-3 and the Masters around R1 4-5, R 2 3-4, Lead 2 - 3, R1 Gain 7-8, R2 Gain 7, Lead Gain 7-8, Lead Drive around 4-5, Lead Presense pulled out. With this settings I have no bigger loudness problems also at home, although I surely have to keep an eye on my wife's nerves :lol:
But with such settings it should not be a problem at usual band practise volumes.
I have also a power attenuator, the silencer from Tube Amp Doctor in Worms / Germany, which I use with my MK IV sometimes. It's a great device with nearly no tone loss also at fully power attenuation, but honestly I must say, nothing is better than the pure tone from the amp.

One trick that works pretty good is to replace the 12AX7 Phase Inverter tube with a 12AT7 tube. Try to get a matched 12AT7 - They do sell them that way if you request one. The 12AT7 is a little lower gain than the AX tube. Therefore, the signal that finally gets to the power section in not as hot. This makes the amp a little quieter so you can turn up the power section more. It's a pretty cheap and reversable change and works pretty well.

BA

Firstly, What sort of music are you playing, Secondly, Where are you practicing, And Thirdly, What are the rigs of the other band members?

As the member of a metal/thrash band, I have repeatedly ended up being to quite, and my drummer over powering me in our small practice spaces - (50 watt recto) I almost always have to tearn UP in order to be heard. At least 12 O'clock on both master and channel volumes.

So without knowing the answers to those other questions, I would say to tell your band to quit being a bunch of pansies (no disrespect intended - I am aware of the possibility that there are health problems, or other scenarios that would prevent loud music from being played) Let you turn it up, and play at "show Volume" at least. In the end they can always wear earplugs.

Also - we recently spent 200$ on foam wall pieces to prevent reverberation - Sound is much clearer, and everyone is much happier in respect to clarity of the instruments.

Cheers
Matt

I would say to tell your band to quit being a bunch of pansies

:D That ****'s funny.

I'm the only guitarist.
Bassist is using a 400w SWR head into a Musicman 2x10
Drummer is using nice Pearl 5 piece
Singer has a Mackie 1200w power amp.

It's not that I couldn't be heard. The amp just doesn't come alive until the Master is above 4 and the Outputs are above 3 or 4.

Here is how it was set up:
Clean Channel:
Gain 8
Treble 4
Middle 6
Bass 7
Bright ON
Presence 4
Output 3-4

Rhythm 2:
Gain 10
Treble 7
Fat ON
Presence 8
Output 2-3

Lead:
Gain 8
Treble 6
Middle 7
Bass 3
Presence 4
Bright ON
Fat ON
Mid Gain ON
Output 1

Master 3

Triode
Class A
Tweed Power

Guitar: Warmoth Soloist, Mahogany-Maple body, Maple neck, PRS Vintage Bass humbucker in the Neck, Fender SCN in the Middle, and a DiMarzio Megadrive in the Bridge. It's a super nice guitar with tons of GAIN.

We're playing in a small community center building with drywall walls. It doesn't sound bad, but we just don't play as loud as I'm used to.

I just started playing with these guys. They're pretty good. We play Randy Rhoads-Ozzy, STP, Billy Idol, other trendy tunes.

I'm tired of playing Metal. I can't stand all the freaky people who instantly want to be "Friends."

As for the 12AT7, I don't really like the Distortion with this tube for a PI. Plus, it isn't that much more quiet. The amp will still be loud as hell, just more clean.

Screengrid,
What do you have the Master Volume set to?

I agree about the attenuators. I would rather play a 20 watt amp than use a Hot Plate. They just take all the sizzle out of an amp.

All of the clubs here are tiny. I used to play Thrash with 2 half stacks in them, but the cops came every time. :D :D They were our biggest fans.

Maybe I should sell it and get a DC-3. I'm starting to miss my Rectoverb.

Monsta-Tone said:
I would say to tell your band to quit being a bunch of pansies

:D That sh!t's funny.

I'm the only guitarist.
Bassist is using a 400w SWR head into a Musicman 2x10
Drummer is using nice Pearl 5 piece
Singer has a Mackie 1200w power amp.

Maybe I should sell it and get a DC-3. I'm starting to miss my Rectoverb.

what? are they loud at all? my friend owns an SWR basic 350 and that gets pretty **** loud with just his 2x10 and with the 2x15s its rediculous.

and in tweed mode you're too loud? :roll: am i missing something?

what? are they loud at all? my friend owns an SWR basic 350 and that gets pretty **** loud with just his 2x10 and with the 2x15s its rediculous.

and in tweed mode you're too loud? am i missing something?

The Bass Player can get loud. It's the Drummer and Singer. The Drummer plays very quietly and the Singer's PA sucks ***.

sell it and pick up a old .50 cal+, you'll be happy.

Do they come with EQ options? I like using the Graphic EQ for a fat Solo boost.

Screengrid said:
Hi, you mean the big knob " Output Level " ? If so, as already mentioned
around 2 - 3 ! IMO, above "2" the tone becomes more alive, more open or 3-D if you wan't so. " 3 " is optimale for me. ( amp noise / loudness relation ) Regarding 3 -D tone, I like it very much to use a 1x 12 ext. cab loaded with a V30 or also the black shadow MC 90. In combination with the stock EVM 12 L combo speaker one can get a a very good tone mixture, perhaps best of both speaker qualities :D

Just to add. I play with a ham fisted drummer, a bad asses bass, and another guit-fiddler, and I run my Mark III at 7-8... Use the clean and R2 mostly, and that's simulclass... I don't think it's too loud at those levels.
Not at all... It's not a blinding decibel, but it is pretty loud... We hang pretty tight ...
ax. 8)

scottcrud said:
yes, the .50 Cal+ has the eq option. Really great amps.
some of them have and some don't :wink:
another option for the OP is maybe the little brother of .50cal+, studio22+, 22 watts, some have the eq and some don't

I have a DC-2, but it doesn't have the EQ on it. It hangs in there pretty good with this band.

I just bought a DC-3 on Ebay this morning. It's ugly, but it was cheap, $455.

I'll probably just sell the Mark IV. I love it, but I don't need to carry an amp around that has a channel (Rhythm 2) that I will never use.

Also, if I use a DC amp, I won't need to get any type of midi switcher to use with my G-Major. I can just use a stereo cord for the relay switching.

I checked your settings. and if I would use those settings on my mark IV it would sound the same way!

Take some time to check your amp out!

The Mesa amps are very responsive to your setting. if you have treble at 8 and bass at 7 and mid at 2 for example. you would have amost no attack (no mid) you would have a treble wich would sound a bit harsh and a flabby bass. (overdrive channel)

if you would use the settings mesa uses in their manual and go from there you could easil end up with a much better sound.

Mesa amps are hard to dial in!

Good luck!

Hi, I never understood, why many MK IV user are the opinion, that the R2 channel is nearly useless. I remember the test review in the German guitar magazine "Gitarre + Bass" from Jan 91. According to this all in all very positive review, the R2 channel was the most musical channel, good as alternative lead, for warm sounding blues and useful as a alternative more open sounding lead channel for example. Ok, over the years the personal taste of tone surely changed, but I still like the more open, not so focused sounding R2 channel a lot!
:D

Latest posts

Back