My first Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchishin13

Reaction score
Just bought this beauty about a week ago and I can't stop playing it. I called Mesa to see if I could get a manufacture date, turns out the last S/N they had on file was 004523, mine's 004525, last one ever made! I'm interested to hear what you guys have this thing dialed in to, I play a lot of hard experimental rock and this amp gives me the versatility I've been looking for. few questions:

1. When I carry it I hear some rattling from the inside, sounds like apring, normal or should I be concerned?
2. Any tips on a solid clean channel setting?
3. The previous owner put in a 16ohm Eminence speaker, what kind of difference would it make if I switched it out for an 8ohm Hellatone 30?
4. I have 4 EL84's and 6 12ax7's that have never been changed, has anyone experimented with different tubes in this thing? If so what kind of tubes did you use and what was the difference in sound from the factory tubes?

b3c72e45.jpg

I would be careful changing to speakers of a different impedance on a combo, which a head you can just use a different output. I would look for a 16ohm hellatone if that's the route you want to go rather than risk damage to your amp (I don't know if you can change impedance on a combo amp)

Congrats on the new amp, and welcome to the boogie family (even though I already welcomed you at TGP lol). Your DC looks gorgeous, very nice condition!

blessings

-Chris 8)

mitchishin13,

Welcome to the group. As to the spring sound, reverb = spring noise if josseled when carried. Most times I look for the PDF on the amp I get so Mesa will have the owners manual on line for you to download. Read about the tube placement. I do not have a DC-3 but the 12AX7 question just begs an answer. You will want to search this group. There are lots and lots of ideas about tubes and rating and well ...

Have fun. 8)

Dennis

ChrisRocksUSA said:
I would be careful changing to speakers of a different impedance on a combo, which a head you can just use a different output. I would look for a 16ohm hellatone if that's the route you want to go rather than risk damage to your amp (I don't know if you can change impedance on a combo amp)

Congrats on the new amp, and welcome to the boogie family (even though I already welcomed you at TGP lol). Your DC looks gorgeous, very nice condition!

blessings

-Chris 8)

The back of my am has one plug for an 8ohm and 2 for 4ohm, figured upgrading from my current speaker would optimize the performance of my amp. I know the V30 is what comes stock in the DC3 and if the Hellatone 30 is essentialy a warmer v30, I figured it'd work out just fine.

jpdennis said:
mitchishin13,

Welcome to the group. As to the spring sound, reverb = spring noise if josseled when carried. Most times I look for the PDF on the amp I get so Mesa will have the owners manual on line for you to download. Read about the tube placement. I do not have a DC-3 but the 12AX7 question just begs an answer. You will want to search this group. There are lots and lots of ideas about tubes and rating and well ...

Have fun. 8)

Dennis

I figured it was the reverb tank but just wasn't sure as my previous amp had nothing like that so I wanted to reconfirm my suspicions, thank you.

Remember that with speakers ohms AND wattage play into the equation. Usually a safe bet is speaker RMS = 2 x the rating of the power amp but you can read alot about safe versus risky and just how factual that risk truely is. Some is subjective some is fact. Talk to speaker guys first.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back