My 2 cents, getting the right distortion from a Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPSEWORM

Reaction score
Recently I was very close to selling my Mesa Triple and getting a new amp head cause I wanted more insane gain and distortion. Well I'm glad I didnt do that. I purchased a Rocktron Xpression and have a wireless among other adjuncts. I was getting a ton of noise and thought it was tube problems. I did however swap one preamp mesa tube in the V1 slot with a Solvtec 12AX7 which at the time didnt seem to make any difference. Mesa Triple is the loudest **** amp and I couldnt turn the thing up past 9:00 before I drowned out the drummer and there was not enough of the right distortion. Well come to find out it was the wireless that was making all the hum after tapping and swapping tubes for 2 hours. Also I had time to mess with the presets on the Xpression unit before giving up. Preset 43 and another one forget the number called Pantera(lol) gave me the nice crunch and definition I was looking for. I had to tweek the settings to get it where I wanted but man I couldnt be happier. I am going to get a BBE just to enhance the sound. I play extremely Brutal Death Metal so anyone who plays the same thing understands what I'm talking about. Most of us complain about wanting more gain or distortion but if you dont have an Xpression unit try getting an EQ. Dont buy distortion pedals or crap like that. The Mesa's gain and sound surpasses anything on the market. I do however want to add that the Metal Muff is probably the best pedal out there for Death Metal if you dont have a Mesa and just play through a clean channel. Most of this is fact and some are my opinions so if you have a Mesa stick with it and mess around with it. Unfortunately I must have spent around $3000 just to figure out that you cant beat the Mesa sound by itself. Lastly use EMG's in your guitar. Not the passive HZ's but the active 81's. HZ's are close but still lack something. Also, if you dont have a Mesa check into an amp head called Framus Cobra, very sick and defined crunch. And dont forget the Vader cabinets to compliment the Cobra. I would have done this configuration a long time ago if it existed. :lol:

What do you mean if it existed? You can run a Cobra through a Vader Cab.

As for the tone search, I really believe that you should be able to find a brutal gain on channel 3 modern without any additional gain patches. I don't know how you have the amp dialed in, but the triple, as any other rectifier, has a disgusting amount of gain. I don't keep mine any higher than 1 o'clock. I'd keep working with it. Maybe you need a Dual, so you can actually push it a little more. Mesas reallys need some volume to wake up and be what they're meant to be.

And......don't get the BBE. With high quality tube amps, they only kill tone. IMO of course.

I bought my Triple 4 years ago and a Framus Cobra did not exist back then. Thats what I was referring to.

I know what the triple has to offer but its lacking something that a lot of people look for Definition. Why do you think there are all these posts about the triples distortion or gain? It could be that everyone is asking the wrong question. In the stuff I play, I'm not sure what you play but it gets so technical and fast that it gets undecifierable if thats a good word? Everything blends together. Now like I said, if your looking for the definition then what I said below is what I'm explaining. I'm not telling anyone to add gain or distortion thats why I commented against distortion pedals for the Mesa. Sorry to do this but I'm going to quote myself "The Mesa's gain and sound surpasses anything on the market."
I've played several shows tweeking things on every Mesa that I've worked with and finally I found it. So thats what this post is about. No matter what setting you have the Mesa at Single Dual Triple there is still that missing element. Check out a band called Grimfist. They use the Framus Cobra and you can hear every selected note with the gain intact. Another band is Sworn Enemy (not sure what they use) but thats the type of sound I'm referring too.

hey man, a couple bands i play shows with do the same(e.q./bbe) for brutal distortion with their duals/trips. but i play the same and just run a hush in front of my trip and CRUSH their sound live. i totally agree with the emg`s helping out for note articulation puposes. but realistically you don`t NEED any sweeteners. maybe you should just get the framus cobra!

I don't know what tubes you are running, but I found found that JJ GZ34/6V6's gave me the definition I was looking for. The stock 6L6's had to much sag for my taste.

I'll check them out, do I need to take it in to get them swapped? I like the idea of runnning strait through the Mesa instead of having all sorts of stuff connected to it. Do you still maintain the bottom end and gain?

James Lee said:
I don't know what tubes you are running, but I found found that JJ GZ34/6V6's gave me the definition I was looking for. The stock 6L6's had to much sag for my taste.
Eurotubes, looks like they have several different options and the one you stated as well. Thanks for the info James!

Eurotubes is where I got mine also. It will change the lower register a bit but nothing you can't adjust on the head. I still only have my bass (channel 3) running 9-11 oclock with a ball knocking sound.

I think Ibanez4life runs the same tubes so I hope he chimes in also.

Know that the sound is different. The mid register to my ear is increased.[/i]

It is not difficult at all to change tubes. Just take your time easing the tubes out (rocking them). I am sure there is a post that describes changing tubes much better than I have.

Now if I didnt go for the full upgrade and just bought the GZ34 tubes will that still give me the definition or do I have to get the 6V6S? I still like the insane volume from the head. It annoise my drummer lol.

You should get some more definition/clarity with just the GZ34's in. I do not know if it will be to your definition standards, but it will change the sound. I don't have experience with 6V6's so i can't help ya there. I run stock 6L6's with the 2 GZ34's in my DR and noticed a good difference.

Thanks James, I dont think it needs to be too drastic. I guess if it gets so much of one thing you could lack on something else maybe? But that sounds promising I'll go for the GZ34's Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Definately, i found the money to be well worth it for the GZ34's. It takes the sag out of the amp. Goodluck!

How did you guess? Yeah I play guitar for Atheist also. That is my Mesa on the Gnostic demos. I'm still not completely happy with it so I've been searching the net for some knowledgeable people. I think I figured it out though, just waiting to get my tubes.

Well I browsed your bands photos, then I was on you tube and watched the Atheist vids of wacken. It look like the same guy playing guitar and he was using a Mesa!?, so I thought about it... BAM your the guy :D

So?... any word on the Cynic/Atheist "super progressive technical metal project" ? (Info from my bro writing to Kelly) I heard Jason and Sean won't be able to join in the adventure, any idea that you'll take his spot?

Well I hope you find what your searching for in your triple. Best of luck!

The word is, coming soon. We have'nt had the time to work that out yet. As for Cynic, naw its hard enough to keep up with Atheist and Gnostic. Also no one has asked if I could do it but I would probably say yes anyway.

Cheers Matt!

Latest posts

Back