mxr 10 band in stock triple recto loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_moreira

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just curious......have any of you tried this MXR 10 band EQ in a stock triple recto loop? I want to dial out some of the fizz, and further exaggerate the midrange for a good thick, hard rock sound, but Im just not sure how this pedal behaves in the "stock"(sometimes tempermental) loop. Or....how about throwing the pedal out front? Thanks guys!

Well its nice to hear the good review! How are you using it? In the loop, or out front? Is your loop the stock loop?

Only in the loop. A buddy of mine knows a guy who was Avril Lavine's guitar player 4 years ago. Devin? He's the one who told him everyone on tour uses an eq in the loop of a rectifier. Tames the highs, kills the fizz and makes them sound so thick.

It is like night and day with it on. Like I said, I'll never play without it.

can i ask what settings your eq is on? im still messing around with mine and wouldnt mind seeing what other people do with it

Here...

001-7.jpg

Thanks again for the info! Im a minimalist when it comes to gear. Quite simply....I dont want to have to bring a ton of stuff with me, nor do I want to have to "depend" on tons of different pieces of equipment dialed in and working just right, in order to be comfortable enough with my sound while playing.

For the last two years, Ive been gigging the snot out of my triple recto with no pedals at all. Ive also downgraded from a 4X12 to a nice 2X12. I still have the 4X12....but just dont often have the desire to drag it out to shows....

At the end of the day, I think Ive really gotten to know my amp rather well in terms of all the different things it can do by itself. But I am reaching that point where I want to expand on it a bit. And being the "minimalist" that I am....Im looking for equipment that truly makes the most difference(in a good way of course), and with the nice maxon OD in front, and this ten band EQ(that I dont have yet, but will have soon).....I expect to be plenty satisfied for another couple years or so! So again, thanks!

I used to use an EQ pedal all the time. However, I dont any more. I feel it takes away from the natural feel and tone of the amp. It almost adds a digital quality to the sound. Yes Rectos can be fizzy. IMO deal with it or turn it up!

greg_moreira said:
Thanks again for the info! Im a minimalist when it comes to gear. Quite simply....I dont want to have to bring a ton of stuff with me, nor do I want to have to "depend" on tons of different pieces of equipment dialed in and working just right, in order to be comfortable enough with my sound while playing.

That's the good and bad of using an EQ in the loop. It can change the sound so drastically the amp can lose it's natural character and become something else, which if you get addicted to it you are dependent on using it.

It's not just Rectifiers that change so drastically with an EQ either, I remember trying one back when I had a Bogner Uberschall and I was shocked how much it changed the sound. As much as I liked the change in the tone I stopped using it because I didn't want to become dependent on it.

I also think some people go through this same process with those sonic maximizers and get dependent on using them all the time.

I do use an EQ in the loop. However, I don't use drastic settings, so my amp still sounds fairly natural. It's all good...

I always ran one on the loop of my Rectoverb. Like Night and day, plus a modded Sd-1 in front to tighten it up
and add some singing sustain.
I also run one in the loop of my Mark IV, but thats's for specific use (R2), I don' use the GEQ for R2, this gives
me some more flexibility in dialing in R2 without having to touch my lead channel EQ settings.

thanks to this thread, i am a proud owner of an MXR 10 band. i do like how it changed the sound of the amp, and really brought the balls and chunk out. i haven't messed with it a lot, but what i did do made me happy.

what was even cooler was i made guitar center match amazon's price and i got almost $20 off their sale price! $102.xx plus tax took it home for $10 less than their sale prcie. gotta love the interwebs.

I would like to add that the highest or lowest I've gone with the settings are -6 or 6, and even that only represents probably one of two frequency bands. Everything else has a more subtle setting...

tennisplayer said:

Wow, no offense but boosting some of those frequencies by 12 is a little much but of course you have your gain turned down quite a bit so I guess this compensates for that.

i totally agree , this pedal kicks ***.

but to all you guys who use it in the loop. have you tried it in front of the amp?

thats where i use mine and at my last gig i had a tone that cut through like never before!!

we played beat it by fall out boy and i listened back to the recording of it and it sounded just like the FOB record . i was floored....

i tried it in the loop but it sound like crap!!

harsh, ice pick type tone and every little boost in frequency just caused the amp to distort!!!

definatly more natural and sweet sounding in front of the amp.

afterall these type of effects: gain related, ARE supposed to be in front of the amp, as opposed to delays, reverbs etc

Back