Must use EL34 tubes light is on?? - Roadster 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmurray8

Reaction score
Can somebody shed some light on this one. I've had my roadster for about a yr and half, never changed the tubes.. and a couple months ago I saw the light for the "must use EL34 tubes when lit". So I switched the bias switch to the EL34 with the asterisk.

The thing is I didn't realize the factory setup is all 6L6's! So I'm very confused having this light on but having all 6L6's installed?

Am I on the wrong setting, potentially damaging my amp??

Why is that light on? I'm freaking out here.

Thanks for your input.

The light will only come on when the EL34/6L6 (aka Bias) switch is flipped to the "EL34" position. Flip it back the other direction and your problem should be solved. If the light is on and you're using 6L6s, then it has gotten switched to the wrong mode somehow. Hopefully everything will return to normal.

I think you were right!

I was scared to switch it because I didn't know. but that also means I've been playing on the wrong Bias setting for months :(

Does anybody know what kind of consequence this entails?

As long as you didn't smell anything burning, you should be alright.

I tried putting el34's in mine, changed the bias switch over but didn't notice that the light didn't light up, didn't realize it was supposed to. Well, pretty soon it started to smell like all hell, like plastic burning. It burned up two resistors, damaged the circuit board. Turns out a relay was bad from the factory and I was running el34s on 6L6 bias.
Had it repaired, but it never has been the same since.

I think yours is going to be fine.

Latest posts

Back