Must I buy tubes from Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreads

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Lonestar Classic 2x12, http://home.nyc.rr.com/dreadboy/guitar064.jpg

I do like the sound that I got with the stock Mesa tubes for the most part. I didn't like the microphonics though, they got old fast! I switched out the v1 and v2 for GT12ax7-M's and that took care of the rumbles and burps... then I pulled out the 6L6's and put in Tesla EL34's (late 80's I think, from my JCM 800) and that gave me more high end and more sustain...

I know boogie says that the warranty is void if you don't use their tubes. Is this just a matter of gouging or is it because other people's tubes will harm this amp (I'm aware that boogie tubes aren't made by boogie)? Thanks all and secondly has anyone tried this amp with Rudy El34bstr's? T'ank Yah!

J. :D

PS: This amp smokes.

I haven't checked the bias and plate voltage of a Lone Star, but if it's like most Mesa amplifiers, your amp should be fine.

I've owned a bunch of Dual and Triple Rectifiers as well as a few Mark IV's. The first thing that I do when I get a Mesa amplifier is pull all Mesa tubes out of it.

Dale

Currently i have two stock mesa pre amp valvues and to aftermark, i guess u woudl call them (not genuin.) And when i was replacing the power valvues, i told the amp tech (he's worked with valve amps for 30+ years) he said the two origional mesa ones are glowing brighter then the other two. (at this point i was way over my head) but he said apparently the other two 6L6's were performing better and he woudl replace the genuin ones first. Also apparently i'm nto sure if its true or not he said, some valves are from Asia and are poorly made. Any way i hope that helps.

Michael

Dale B. said:
The first thing that I do when I get a Mesa amplifier is pull all Mesa tubes out of it.

Dale
Ditto!
IMO Mesa tubes (especially their power tubes) are junk! I love my Mesa amps but their tubes are just far to undependable.

Dreads said:
Hi All,

I do like the sound that I got with the stock Mesa tubes for the most part. I didn't like the microphonics though, they got old fast! I switched out the v1 and v2 for GT12ax7-M's and that took care of the rumbles and burps... then I pulled out the 6L6's and put in Tesla EL34's (late 80's I think, from my JCM 800) and that gave me more high end and more sustain...

I know boogie says that the warranty is void if you don't use their tubes. Is this just a matter of gouging or is it because other people's tubes will harm this amp (I'm aware that boogie tubes aren't made by boogie)? Thanks all and secondly has anyone tried this amp with Rudy El34bstr's? T'ank Yah!

Wow! Nice amp. Love that wood exteriour with the wheat grill. Feakin' gorgeous! Do me a favour and get that panting off it though. ;-)

I retubed my LSC 1x12 with a matched quad set of JJs without any problem. It actually sounds better in my opinion. If I ever need repairs under warranty the Mesa Boogie tubes will go back in before it goes to the shop.

DoTheDo said:
Dreads said:
Hi All,

Wow! Nice amp. Love that wood exteriour with the wheat grill. Feakin' gorgeous! Do me a favour and get that panting off it though. ;-)

I retubed my LSC 1x12 with a matched quad set of JJs without any problem. It actually sounds better in my opinion. If I ever need repairs under warranty the Mesa Boogie tubes will go back in before it goes to the shop.

Thats the way to do it! Put them back in later.

Dale B. said:
I haven't checked the bias and plate voltage of a Lone Star, but if it's like most Mesa amplifiers, your amp should be fine.

I've owned a bunch of Dual and Triple Rectifiers as well as a few Mark IV's. The first thing that I do when I get a Mesa amplifier is pull all Mesa tubes out of it.

Dale

thank you! Somebody who actually understands!

Dale B. said:

Dale

Dont you have to bias when swapping tubes?

pau_leader, Mesa has taken a design approach to make their amps with a fixed bias. What they do is hardwire a fixed resistor that matches the characteristics of a class of tubes (6L6, etc.). All tubes operate within a range and so many amps are manufactured with a variable biasing option so that you can tune your amp to match the tubes you get within the design type.

So, if you replace the 6L6's in the LSC with non-Mesa 6L6's and tell the tube company what amp you are using, they will typically provide a matched set to the Mesa specs.

From what I have been told, Mesa biasing is on the cold side, so your probalby safe with a broad range of 6L6's. I haven't checked the plate voltage on my LSC, but will do that this weekend and post it here for anyone who cares.

I don't think Mesa made a good design decision here. If you read teh discourse about it in the manual it is portrayed as if he fixed a problem for the user, but, IMHO, he solved the wrong problem. All he had to do was make the bias adjustment more user friendly than the old Fendre amps he complained about. Modern Marshalls did just that. It is real easy to set bias on a DSL. I like to run my tubes at or just a little hotter than the spec. With Mesa, I am robbed of that option unless I want to put in a bias adjustment control on the amp.

There are some anal retentive aspects to the Mesa products. Like soldering the speaker wires to the speakers. One of the easiest ways to get a different sound on your amp is to change speakers, but they make it harder and I don't understand why.

The only saving grace is that the LSC and LSS are great sounding amps.

Dreads, I meant to ask how you liked the el34s in the LSC? you mentioned high end and more sustain. How about the sound when you overdrive or with eachof the channels?

Thanks,

Hmm, never had a problem with any Mesa tubes, and they're all I use! If your quest for tone has led you to changing tube manufacturers, just be sure your dealing with someone reputable, that understands the needs of your amp.

cnumb44 said:
pau_leader, Mesa has taken a design approach to make their amps with a fixed bias. What they do is hardwire a fixed resistor that matches the characteristics of a class of tubes (6L6, etc.). All tubes operate within a range and so many amps are manufactured with a variable biasing option so that you can tune your amp to match the tubes you get within the design type.

So, if you replace the 6L6's in the LSC with non-Mesa 6L6's and tell the tube company what amp you are using, they will typically provide a matched set to the Mesa specs.

From what I have been told, Mesa biasing is on the cold side, so your probalby safe with a broad range of 6L6's. I haven't checked the plate voltage on my LSC, but will do that this weekend and post it here for anyone who cares.

I don't think Mesa made a good design decision here. If you read teh discourse about it in the manual it is portrayed as if he fixed a problem for the user, but, IMHO, he solved the wrong problem. All he had to do was make the bias adjustment more user friendly than the old Fendre amps he complained about. Modern Marshalls did just that. It is real easy to set bias on a DSL. I like to run my tubes at or just a little hotter than the spec. With Mesa, I am robbed of that option unless I want to put in a bias adjustment control on the amp.

There are some anal retentive aspects to the Mesa products. Like soldering the speaker wires to the speakers. One of the easiest ways to get a different sound on your amp is to change speakers, but they make it harder and I don't understand why.

The only saving grace is that the LSC and LSS are great sounding amps.

Good info man thanks!

Latest posts

Back