Mullard / Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Woogie Man

Reaction score
I just put a yellow print Mullard ECC83 in V1 of my Boogie and the whole tone quality seemed to increase by 50%. I didn't think this would be possible just from one little vacuum tube but it seems to be the case. This one was manufactured in England in 1963 supposedly.
Anyone else have a similar experience ?

Yes and no. I hear tonal improvements with NOS Mullard (and NOS RCAs) in certain spots, and absolutely no diff in others. In my MKIII, NOS CV4024 Mullards in V2 and V3 made a world of difference; a NOS Mullard ax7 in the V1 of my DC5, however, made no difference whatever. Enjoy the tone!! :D

Edward

Oh brother..I just put some NOS mullards with yellow print in Vs 1-4..with a mesa 12Ax7 A (black band) in V5...Killer! I could not believe how good it sounded. It was about a strong 25-30% increase in tone. I was using the groovetubes Mullard reissues before. (which actually sound pretty close). But these Mullards all tested strong and really just rip!

I know what you mean by "increase in tone". I'd describe is as "3d-ness" and increased tonal complexity. I could swear that a balanced NOS for the PI gives clearer chimey cleans and smoother clipping.

Couldn't agree more (with everybody!)
Try a Mullard in V3 of your Mark III, that's the lead channel.
Put the same tubes in a Mark IV, didn't notice as big a difference.
Mark IIIs rule! Mark IVs, well, you know...

Back