"Mr. Mesa"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
primal said:
Elpelotero said:
I would say James and Kirk of Metallica... Even people who don't know gear know they use Mesa.

Kirk just switched to Randall.

But up untill then I would agree, they were the most recognizable Mesa users!

Its Kirk and James by a mile.

I don't buy Kirk really using that crap, I think its a money play if anything.

Diezel is being used, but to be honest, Mesa is their tone. If you want another amp that gets it, look at the Elmwoods..... but Mesa can still get the tones the Elmwoods can.

Elpelotero said:
I doubt he uses that Randall stuff though. I think it was a marketing ploy. He doesn't even play the amp in the promo video.

If you had C+'s, vintage marshalls, a Dumble, a ton of old rectos, a stilleto, wizards, etc. Why would you drop it all for that Randall? Just my thoughts.

ive read he's used those randalls on the new album..... i'll let you know when i go with my buddy to interview them

i'm going to go out on the limb here and say dave grohl...... he may be more well known to a wider variety of people and has videos airing regularly on mtv/fuse/vh1 and plays plenty of televised sets...... and every time ive seen him in a video or on stage he has a nice backdrop of boogies..... so all in all because he's more widely exposed to the general public who have no clue about gear, i would consider him mr mesa.... with metallica a close second.... petrucci and tremonti, while probably better suited as mr mesas because their tones are predominently boogies, arent as widely known... petrucci only in musical circles and tremonti as "the old guitar player from creed".... i'm thinking about this from a general public standpoint as well... if i were to dub a mr. mesa hands down it would be Hetfield

BTW, those dispelling the randalls kirk is using as lesser amps, if you see one try it.... i couldnt believe the tone coming out of that thing..... as far as tone its right up there with the mesas, marshalls, and fenders kirk already plays all in one amp

Musicians Friend has that amp, it's his new signature series, solid state 120 watts.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-KH120RHS-120W-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack?sku=605491

That is not the one being discussed. The one they are talking about are tube.

I know that I will be in the extreme minority here, but my vote goes to Brad Gillis. He used the Boogie to get beyond the Marshall sounds in the early '80's heavy metal scene (Ozzy's Speak of the Devil). This set the stage for the decade that followed. James and Kirk included :shock: . Carlos Santana started this rollercoaster ride and who knows where it will end. :D

JOEY B. said:
I know that I will be in the extreme minority here, but my vote goes to Brad Gillis. He used the Boogie to get beyond the Marshall sounds in the early '80's heavy metal scene (Ozzy's Speak of the Devil). This set the stage for the decade that followed. James and Kirk included :shock: . Carlos Santana started this rollercoaster ride and who knows where it will end. :D

true but i think most people inside and outside music can identify people like dave grohl or metallica, where as brad gillis i think is mostly known by the music savy and musicians.... santana is also just as well known but when it comes down to it i think someone like dave grohl gives the brand a little more exposure outside of the musicians.... my little sister even recognized his mesa amps in a few of his videos

jdurso said:
"i'm going to go out on the limb here and say dave grohl...... he may be more well known to a wider variety of people and has videos airing regularly on mtv/fuse/vh1 and plays plenty of televised sets...... and every time ive seen him in a video or on stage he has a nice backdrop of boogies..... so all in all because he's more widely exposed to the general public who have no clue about gear, i would consider him mr mesa.... with metallica a close second.... petrucci and tremonti, while probably better suited as mr mesas because their tones are predominently boogies, arent as widely known... petrucci only in musical circles and tremonti as "the old guitar player from creed".... i'm thinking about this from a general public standpoint as well... if i were to dub a mr. mesa hands down it would be Hetfield"

+1. Good Observation. Dave Grohl can be easily overlooked here because the tendency for most players(which we all happen to be here in this forum) to think of a "guitar deity" and not a guy whose focus is song craft and sonic texture.

Carlos Santana was the sound that rocked the world. No one's guitar sound has effected the music world like he did except Jimi and his Marshalls. Brad Gillis was the MKII ambassador of the early 80's. Other players played boogies but didn't exploit the gain (ie. Keith Richards, Larry Carlton, Gerry Garcia, etc.) like these guys did. I actually never cared for Santana and was more into guys like Blackmore. But for years no one touched the unique sound Santana had.

Younger guys have no idea how shockingly different Carlos Santana was when he came out playing this modded fender. Guys were scrambling in shock trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

I've listened to Metalica and I remember a guy who worked for me back in the 80's telling me how good this guitarist in the band was... I listened to it and asked him if he'd ever heard Alan Holdsworth play?

For different generations there are different heros... but your boys would never have heard a Mesa to even know what one was if it were not for Carlos.

Santana is the ONLY reason Randall Smith and Mesa became huge... He took a nobody to the world when Fender, Vox, and Marshall amps were the ONLY amps most stores would sell. In fact back then you could only order a Boogie by mail.

in my opinion, Carlos is the foundering mesa player because he gave Mesa a coat tail to ride. And Mesa made Carlos bigger than life for years because they gave him a unique sound no one else could. They took each other to the world when no one else could or would... One of those lightning strike moments in history.

As some others have said, i will stick to Brad Gillis and Metallica, but also include Steve Lukather, in the 80's every other Mesa advertisement was either Brad or Steve on it.

i guess the "crowd above 35" will get it. 8)

srf399 said:
Carlos Santana was the sound that rocked the world. No one's guitar sound has effected the music world like he did except Jimi and his Marshalls. Brad Gillis was the MKII ambassador of the early 80's. Other players played boogies but didn't exploit the gain (ie. Keith Richards, Larry Carlton, Gerry Garcia, etc.) like these guys did. I actually never cared for Santana and was more into guys like Blackmore. But for years no one touched the unique sound Santana had.

Younger guys have no idea how shockingly different Carlos Santana was when he came out playing this modded fender. Guys were scrambling in shock trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

I've listened to Metalica and I remember a guy who worked for me back in the 80's telling me how good this guitarist in the band was... I listened to it and asked him if he'd ever heard Alan Holdsworth play?

For different generations there are different heros... but your boys would never have heard a Mesa to even know what one was if it were not for Carlos.

Santana is the ONLY reason Randall Smith and Mesa became huge... He took a nobody to the world when Fender, Vox, and Marshall amps were the ONLY amps most stores would sell. In fact back then you could only order a Boogie by mail.

in my opinion, Carlos is the foundering mesa player because he gave Mesa a coat tail to ride. And Mesa made Carlos bigger than life for years because they gave him a unique sound no one else could. They took each other to the world when no one else could or would... One of those lightning strike moments in history.

very well spoken.... i agree but (since i wasnt of that era) was all the scrambling among the music community? because still i think if we're just talking musical circles santana would be the sokesman for both mesa and prs.... but if we include a wider audience (both young and old, musicians and non musicians) dave grohl and the foo fighters exposure is on another level.... and i'm not talking their names because everyone knows snatana but how many opportunities do the general public get to see santana with a wall of boogie behind him? not many and even if he was its hard to see the boogie emblem on those mark amps :shock: .... as opposed to the rectos which grohl uses..... but all and all your probably right in the sense carlos really gave randall and mesa a chance to grow into what they are today.... if thats the case would master of puppets sound as good? thats the real question here :twisted:

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Metallica definitely. Even though they don't use Mesa anymore... lol.

what are you smoking? they still use mesa and its probably 75% of their sound recorded and live.... granted they've grown to include some diezel, diezel, randall (kirk has... james has used them for a while) among others, but still they have racks upon racks of rectos, triaxis, and mark ivs

jdurso said:
Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Metallica definitely. Even though they don't use Mesa anymore... lol.

what are you smoking? they still use mesa and its probably 75% of their sound recorded and live.... granted they've grown to include some diezel, diezel, randall (kirk has... james has used them for a while) among others, but still they have racks upon racks of rectos, triaxis, and mark ivs

False.

Well...not fully false anyways. Yes they still have Mesa amps. But I don't believe they use them anymore.

At least not this tour.

We'll find out when the new album comes out :)

As for St. Anger, they had everything from Roland to 4 Triaxis setups, to Diezels. I haven't seen any of those this tour.

To me the best spokesman would have to be Carlos Santana in the old days and Mark Tremonti now (even though i HATE his music)

But the most recognisable mesa players to me would have to be Dave Grohl and Chris Shifflett from Foo Fighters or Munky (and Head) from Korn, they have been a massive band and pretty much defined that sludgy mesa nu metal sound.

Latest posts

Back