"Mr. Mesa"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devho

Reaction score
Who is the most famous/most recognizable/most widely known Mesa user?

Who do you think is the best essential "spokesman" for Mesa?

I'm gonna vote Mark Tremonti, for obvious reasons. Everyone who knows his music equates him with Mesa.

I'd say Petrucci is more well known as far as modern artists.. originally I would say Carlos Santana but he's moved on to other things.

I'd say Tremonti... nearly every interview or lesson or video, he always credits Mesa to be it for him and his tone. Every shot of him is in front of Mesa it seems. I'd also have to give it to him for having Mesa make him those 2x15 vertical cabs rather than contact Fender and get the originals made for him. He stuck to his brand and to me its obvious that he wouldn't do anything else. I know he uses Uberschall behind the Mesa but the fact that he leaves his 2ch duals at the house to record with shows care and appreciation.

Tremonti +1

Elpelotero said:
I would say James and Kirk of Metallica... Even people who don't know gear know they use Mesa.

Kirk just switched to Randall.

But up untill then I would agree, they were the most recognizable Mesa users!

I doubt he uses that Randall stuff though. I think it was a marketing ploy. He doesn't even play the amp in the promo video.

If you had C+'s, vintage marshalls, a Dumble, a ton of old rectos, a stilleto, wizards, etc. Why would you drop it all for that Randall? Just my thoughts.

One of my favorite Mesa users is Buckethead. I just saw him play about 3 weeks ago he had 2 Triple rectifiers.

Elpelotero said:
I doubt he uses that Randall stuff though. I think it was a marketing ploy. He doesn't even play the amp in the promo video.

If you had C+'s, vintage marshalls, a Dumble, a ton of old rectos, a stilleto, wizards, etc. Why would you drop it all for that Randall? Just my thoughts.

actually i've heard great reviews of the hammett randall from people who i know have good taste in amps and equally low opinion of kirk himselft. so he may actually use it, but who knows.

i think only god and metallica themselves know what they are playing on. even if there is a DR standing on the stage its just commercial:D they probably use more than just 1 amp:D

Elpelotero said:

I've seen him with a Randall on stage quite recently.

I'd say Santana, by far, but then, I'm an old guy. I started playing in 1971!!!

Don said:
I'd say Santana, by far, but then, I'm an old guy. I started playing in 1971!!!

Of course, I agree. Carlos Santana started this wonderful craziness... he even gave his name to the Boogies.

Al least, outside the US, Carlos Santana was the face of Mesa Boogie, back in the late '70 and the '80.

Later in 1991, when Mesa launched the Rectos, the pitch was: Mesa Engineering is not only Mesa Boogie.

Random Hero said:
Elpelotero said:

I've seen him with a Randall on stage quite recently.
Musicians Friend has that amp, it's his new signature series, solid state 120 watts.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-KH120RHS-120W-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack?sku=605491

I'm 28 now and I think that most people my age got into Boogie because of Metallica in the early 90's.

My vote is for Hetfield & Hammett. Second place to Santana for getting the whole thing going.

Back