More Rectifier-ish - Mark III or IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shep said:
The best recto sound is....

Mk IV Lead

tweed ( loosen it up abit)
pull fat
pentode (more punch )
A class ( to keep it loose )
Big V
Sounds spot on...

Hey shep, I just found a link to your clips:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=695807

The clip labeled "mk III heavy" sounds very close to a Recto to me. Do you remember your settings?

sure

vol1-7.5 pull
treb-8 pull
mid's 7
bass 2
master 2 pull deep
drive 8 pull lead
lead volume 5
presense 1.5

V on the eq with the 60 and 6600 on the top line the 240 and 2200 below the middle line and 750 on top of the bottom line..

phyrexia said:
bpm91 said:
Am I the only one who thinks some recto tones can be had through the GEQ on the Mark IV? Because I can. I would assume the Mark III would be close, but mine sadly does not have GEQ.

Marks are too tight. You can EQ more bass but you can't EQ the looseness that a Recto has IMO.

Even if you try the settings listed, I think it still sounds like a Mark.

True. The Mark series amps just don't have that inherent cellulite...

Just my .02, I can get a pretty good recto sound from my Mark III and IV but using an EQ in the loop and through EVM12L's. The way I hear it is the EVM's can handle a lot of power and bottom end. Crank up the bottom end on the stock GEQ and most speakers will fart out, but not the EVM's. They get loose but stay clear…then add the eq in the loop to add more bottom end around the stock GEQ….whammo. You get VERY close recto tone. Granted, it is not exact, but I tend to dial any recto to sound more like a Mark amp.

Kiss My Axe said:
I know that the Mark will always sound different than a Rectifier, that's the point. I don't want to sound like a Rectifier, I just wanted to know which sounded more modern like the Rectifier, the Mark III or Mark IV. I'm in love with the Mark sound, I was just trying to figure out which one would fit my genre of music better (alternative metal), which you guys have already answered is the Mark III. I guess I really should try a Rectifier some day just to see how versatile they are (not a one trick pony).

The 3 channel Rectos have issues and those issues in my opinion make them not so versatile . the bass response is saggy adn this makes the Rectos go "boom" instead of "CHug"

Plus, there's a massive lack of dynamic response on the Recto so the mid gain thing just isn't happening . The tone is there but the dynamic response isn't at all

So getting back to your original question, the Mark 3 can be set to sound boomy pretty easily. Just pull the Master control for "deep" and the mark 3 turns into a Boom Box. Bass shift can make it boom even more.

The Mark 4 in comparison is all about "Chugga" . It's right there and you have to force the amp to actually get boomy.

Getting back to the Recto, it has a big presence peak which makes it sound very harsh. Many guys equate that fizz sound with "gain " or "balls". To me , gain is gain and fizz is........just fizz.

Now , since the Mark 3's are brighter, crunchier amps than the mark 4, I think you'd get closer to a Recto with the Mark 3 set to Deep, mid scooped and then just fiddle with the presence control til you hear the amount of fizz that you want.

I own two Mark 3's and 1 Mark 4B and feel that the Mark 4 is more metal personally whereas the 3's sound something like a hot rodded JCM 800 only with a much more lively and snappy clean channel

The mark series is not for everbody. But everybody who has a mark knows exactly what they are not missing out on with a recto. Mark III or recto. NO BRAINER. mark III. If you aren't getting the gain you want from the III, then you haven't sat down with it enough. Face it you can get a recto sounding half bad in 3 seconds. Marks are tweeker amps. There is plenty of gain there especially with a III if you look for it hard enough. The only thing rectos and IIIs have in common it the shared parent name

Besides I really love the way mark IIs, IIIs and IVs take pedals! whew!

I'm still contemplating on trading my Mark III for a Recto. As much as I like the sound of the Mark III, I'm just not sure it's modern enough for the type of music I play. Maybe there's a reason that the Rectifier is so popular with metal these days other than the popularity of them. But still, I've never been more happy with an amp before and I don't want to regret trading it away. :?

If the mark 3 isn't as modern as you want , then the next step is a mark 4. It has all the nice qualities of the mark 3 but chunks harder and has a more in your face bottom end without being sloppy

Kiss My Axe said:
I'm still contemplating on trading my Mark III for a Recto. As much as I like the sound of the Mark III, I'm just not sure it's modern enough for the type of music I play. Maybe there's a reason that the Rectifier is so popular with metal these days other than the popularity of them. But still, I've never been more happy with an amp before and I don't want to regret trading it away. :?

regret trading away? The Mark III will definately be harder to find in the long run to a recto. Hold on to the III or get a IV before you turn your back on the mark series. Rectos will alway be around..and be around in different flavors (tr dr roads) at that. You can always come back to a recto at anytime. Marks are picky. I mean I am never going to let my mark go. If I want another amp..I will get it, but never get rid of the mark.

I agree, don't sell your Mark. Rectos are everywhere these days, and I don't see the series going away anytime soon. I'm NEVER getting rid of my Quad pre. The same goes with my RK, unless they make a better one. Just save and pick up a recto. Then you can run'em together! :twisted:

MetalMatt said:
I agree, don't sell your Mark. Rectos are everywhere these days, and I don't see the series going away anytime soon. I'm NEVER getting rid of my Quad pre. The same goes with my RK, unless they make a better one. Just save and pick up a recto. Then you can run'em together! :twisted:

As much as I'd like to do that, I see no point in owning two amps. The expense would just be too much for a struggling student such as myself. I can't afford to spend 1000 bucks on another amp. If I get a Rectifier, then I'd be forced to sell the Mark. I guess I could always buy another Mark if I wasn't satisfied with the Rectifier, but I'd hate to go down that road again. I guess I'll try the Mark IV before the Rectifier then.

Latest posts

Back