more mark III tube stuff

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Tone

Reaction score
How many of you mark III owners use tung-sol reissue 12ax7's in the preamp tube slots? Any other (non-NOS) preamp tube preferences?

Also, does anybody use any power tubes other than mesa in the mark III?

Hi Kingtone,

Just to let you know, there is quite a bit of this tube discussion in the archives ...the Search is your friend :)

FWIW, I like the TS reissues, and use them in my DC5. In my MKIII, I use a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) in V1, V2, and the PI spots ...love it, FWIW. I also use SED Winged-C 6L6 (real ones, not RI): loved them so much in my DC, I put them into my III. Also, I have Mesa STR450 which are NOS Siemens EL34s ...great tube with rich tones, IMHO.

Edward

I've got a tung-sol reissue in v3 on my Mark III. Sounds good to me.

I've also tried JJ and Ruby power tubes in the Mark III and have gotten good results from both.

edward said:
Hi Kingtone,

Just to let you know, there is quite a bit of this tube discussion in the archives ...the Search is your friend :)

FWIW, I like the TS reissues, and use them in my DC5. In my MKIII, I use a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) in V1, V2, and the PI spots ...love it, FWIW. I also use SED Winged-C 6L6 (real ones, not RI): loved them so much in my DC, I put them into my III. Also, I have Mesa STR450 which are NOS Siemens EL34s ...great tube with rich tones, IMHO.

Edward

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am not going down the NOS tube route. I have a few and they are cool but I need new readily available tubes.

You know the funny thing, on all of these forums(I am on a few) I feel the search function seems almost completely useless. I hardly ever find what I want even though I know it has been covered a zillion times, maybe a couple of days ago. I know other folks ask the same questions over and over as well, so I am not the only one. I wish they would improve on the vague-ness of what pops up in the search results. They need google or something! Thanks.

The one thing I hate about Search functions at large is that many won't search 3-lettered words ...very limiting, ugh!

Hi Tone,
I understand the need for "readily available" tubes, but why do they have to be "new" when NOS is, by definition, New. Purchase from a reputable vendor(s) and you have current-prod AND NOS at your disposal. Just my opinion, mind you :)

BTW, the RI TungSol power tubes are also pretty good.

Edward

edward said:
The one thing I hate about Search functions at large is that many won't search 3-lettered words ...very limiting, ugh!

Hi Tone,
I understand the need for "readily available" tubes, but why do they have to be "new" when NOS is, by definition, New. Purchase from a reputable vendor(s) and you have current-prod AND NOS at your disposal. Just my opinion, mind you :)

BTW, the RI TungSol power tubes are also pretty good.

Edward

I was just curious what other tubes folks like in the mark amps.

As far as the "new" designation I mean new production. I am looking to buy standard fair in the tube world, easy to find and not NOS pricing. I do not want to get hooked into the idea that I have to have mullards, telefunkens, etc, where I would have to pay hundreds of dollars in tubes each time you retube. Not to mention, I have some rca black plates, amperex, etc that are good, but you know, call me crazy, but the tung sol 12ax7's sound just as good, if not better, to me in my amps. For me it iwll probably be tung sol 12ax7's from the tubestore or tubedepot, I have had good luck with both of those places.

Nope, you're not crazy ...I hear you. I ddidn't want to spend a fortune, either. Which is why I went with the T-S RI in ax7s ...because NOS RCAs, Mullards, or JAN Phils in ax7 are pricey. I have one NOS Mul ax7 and it's nice, but frankly, I don't hear the difference between that and the T-S RI ...at least in one amp, in the V1 spot.

However, I have a few NOS at7s ...these are completely reasonable in price, and only a few bucks more than current prod. And these I COULD hear the difference in. So there you go. Certain tubes in certain positions; little difference. Different positions; signif difference. It's all trial and error, an objective ear with the willingness to not "hear" improvement just because it cost more, and I have long since found (as you obviously have) that NOS is not "magic." One should use what sounds best to one's own ears. Rock on! :
:D

Edward

You should rarely, if ever, need to replace pre-amp tubes, if they don't develop defects and are not subject to physical abuse. Tubes made years ago are simply made with superior materials and manufacturing techniques.
That being said, tone is completely subjective, and it's what your ear tells you that counts.
Mojo is in the ear of the beholder.

Back