MKIV: Rhythm sounds great on the Lead channel... BUT

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufuss Sewell

Reaction score
Now I need a channel for leads!!!!

I guess I could buy a boost pedal, but I keep feeling like I should be able to get the MKIV to boost for solo's. Does anyone have any advice on setting up the amp with these three channels:

1. Great clean channel with a little bite (easy to get out of rhythm 1)

2. Modern ultra-distorted metal channel (easy to get with lead+graphic EQ)

3. Excellent lead channel with lots of sustain. I like David Gilmour's tone a lot. Can I get a Gilmour tone out of Rhythm 2? It just seems like I can't get any sustain out of rhythm 2.

i would use a ts-9 before the amp for channel two for more gain..and also put a clean boost thought the Fx loop swicthable and then hit it and it will give you a volume boost of solo's..

with the clean channel...i would pull the bright and run the gain around 7 and treb around 5 pres around 4.5 and that would be nice...

I'd say a clean boost like an MXR micro amp or Zvex super hard on. They should be used with a minimal setting or you'll get some nastyness out of the amp.

I have a MKIV and I use the lead channel for rythm and lead with no need for additional gain. While I don't have the problems you have, I build my own pedals and test them on the MKIV. I have built several boosters and none of them have sounded great on the lead channel. There is already so much gain there that a booster tends to just create noise. Now a booster on R2, that sounds better.

Scott

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'd like to use channel 2 for leads. I'll try using a booster. Thanks!

After 2 weeks of MKIV ownership, I don't feel I'm qualified enough to comment really, but the previous 10 years of III ownership might help!!!

I have found a great sound by using the AUTOR2 for the EQ, this means I can run the R2 channel maxed out on Gain and Treble with a fairly hefty V EQ for HHUUUGGEE Rhythm sound and then step on either the Lead Button for even more Gain and then the LEAD-EQ button for even more chunk again!!!

You could try my old III trick which was to use the EQ at a low setting for a rhythm sound and then switch it OUT to boost for solos.

I have found on the 4 gigs I have currently done with the IV that at volume, it doesn't favour a booster pedal (SD Pickup Booster) as it seems to mush the sound.

I found the AUTOR2 setting in the old MKIVA manual - I have an A which came with all the original paperwork/valves etc - I think there's a link on this forum to this manual somewhere - its got some great settings - much better IMO than the on-line Mesa Manual for the IV.

Cheers

Wayne

I totally forgot about the AUTOR2 deal. I was soo focused on getting my tones that I almost lost out on some versatility here. Thank you for reminding me there welshboogie. I have been boosting the Lead to step out. I will have to redial my amp and actually start using R2. I just love the sound of the Lead as my rhythm though...

I use the lead channel on my mark III with EQ in a V for rythm
When I play solo's I switch the EQ out and have a boosted mid, so my solosound comes out nicely
In the future I probably buy a TS to make my solosound more creamy

Back