MKIV and 6v6's Questions????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chino007

Reaction score
Ok what I 'm looking for is peoples experiences with 6v6's in their Mark IV and some settings that have worked for them??
I'm Running My MK IV Short head with a matching 1x12 cab, This amp was a 1990 combo when I bought it and I found someone who had a head Shell that was chopped down and converted from a MKIII combo Shell, Except for the grill cloth which I am going to fix it was a good job and my head fit perfectly, want to change the grill on the Ext. Cab to match as I actually like the contrast with the black tolex.

100_0008.jpg

chino007 said:
Ok what I 'm looking for is peoples experiences with 6v6's in their Mark IV and some settings that have worked for them,, I'm Running My MK IV Short head with a matching 1x12 cab

i dunno yet but its on my list of things to do. heard some sweet things about it. I think it might work out well for the smaller clubs we play.

just do a forum search for 6V6 and that should give you lots of stuff.

just remember that if you do go with 6V6's they can ONLY be used in the Mark IV in tweed mode running in Simul-Class and you should also plug an 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm jack in this setting.

Thanks, that part I do know,( about simulcast and Tweed) I gigged with this set up on Fri. after gigging with it set up with 6l6's and EL34's two weeks ago and I must say I like it better with the 6v6's, overall tone to me is warmer, especially on the clean channel what some people i think describe as more vintage. I can control the volume better too and not be so overpowering to get a good tone. do want to know what you guys have experienced and your own settings, I will say I do play in a blues band but do still utilize the lead channel for the heavier blues rock stuff.

Hey Chino,

I have some CBS hytrons 1958 made and love them..My wife bought them for me. To my ears they round out the highs and yes more vintage tone.. The cleans are just beautiful it takes a little of the gain but only a tiny amount still plenty.Mind you this is in my mark iv combo..

regards

James

The one time I tried 6V6's they were a little bit too subtle for me. When I want a vintage tone, I'll go with the EL34's and 6L6's, but run it in class A. This way to isolate the EL34's. Again, that's just for me. You need to tried to see how it sounds to your ears.

Good luck and have fun!

I tried the the El34's in Class A and they were great with the lead channel but couldn't get anything pleasing to me in the clean channel, the 6v6's give a warmer more well rounded sound, right now I'm using The Boogie 6v6's any one know of any brands that would work better maybe???

Latest posts

Back