MKIIC+ eq question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmarlon

Reaction score
So can you get "metal" tones from a MKIIC+ with out an EQ?

I'm NOT looking for the Black album tones. I know that you do need the EQ if you want to try to attempt that. But I do play high gain metal with a non-modern sound.

Are there any clips of a NON eq MKII+ doing metal?

And if I put a eq pedal in the FX loop will it do the same thing as a built in eq?

metalmarlon said:
So can you get "metal" tones from a MKIIC+ with out an EQ?

I'm NOT looking for the Black album tones. I know that you do need the EQ if you want to try to attempt that. But I do play high gain metal with a non-modern sound.

Are there any clips of a NON eq MKII+ doing metal?

And if I put a eq pedal in the FX loop will it do the same thing as a built in eq?

Hmm, I reckon you'll definitely need an EQ, probably in the FX loop.

I don't believe the builtin Boogie EQ uses any tube technology, the rest of the amp yes, but the EQ section no, so I don't believe you'll really miss much by not having a builtin EQ.

Actually I have EQ on my C+ but I'm tempted to get one of those pedal (7 or 10 band EQs) just to try out. ...

The on-board graphic is no different from an outboard pedal It's just a handy feature to have built in, and it adds a sh*tload of value to any Boogie. There is no tube circuitry in the EQ, it's entirely transistorized. I've seen C+ gut shots, and the EQ board just has a few inductors and transistors on it. So any other pedal will sound the same. It's just the frequencies are set up all wierd on a Mesa EQ.

>Photi G< said:
The on-board graphic is no different from an outboard pedal It's just a handy feature to have built in, and it adds a sh*tload of value to any Boogie. There is no tube circuitry in the EQ, it's entirely transistorized. I've seen C+ gut shots, and the EQ board just has a few inductors and transistors on it. So any other pedal will sound the same. It's just the frequencies are set up all wierd on a Mesa EQ.

There is a big difference between the onboard GEQ and an external unit. Those transistors are Darlington, the circuit is dead quiet and the inductors
are from the Audiophile world. 90% of the C+ fader boards have mil-spec hermetically sealed capacitors as well. Tube's don't make good EQ's you need negative
voltage to cut ad boost frequencies. They make good buffers though. With a pedal you get 4558's or TL071/072's
,cheap chinese tantalum caps and noise. The benefit is they have more frequencies. You can go to a 31 band parametric but you'll spend 90% of your time tweaking and
anything digital will have to convert the signal back from binary code.

Boogiebabies said:
There is a big difference between the onboard GEQ and an external unit. Those transistors are Darlington, the circuit is dead quiet and the inductors
are from the Audiophile world. 90% of the C+ fader boards have mil-spec hermetically sealed capacitors as well. Tube's don't make good EQ's you need negative
voltage to cut ad boost frequencies. They make good buffers though. With a pedal you get 4558's or TL071/072's
,cheap chinese tantalum caps and noise. The benefit is they have more frequencies. You can go to a 31 band parametric but you'll spend 90% of your time tweaking and

Touche' :shock:

>Photi G< said:
Boogiebabies said:
There is a big difference between the onboard GEQ and an external unit. Those transistors are Darlington, the circuit is dead quiet and the inductors are from the Audiophile world. 90% of the C+ fader boards have mil-spec hermetically sealed capacitors as well. Tube's don't make good EQ's you need negative

Touche' :shock:

Frankly, externals don't sound too bad at all. The C+ has a pretty quiet loop which helps, but unless you get creative with the wiring
the loop is tied up with an external. The loops position in the preamp does make the EQ's tone somewhat more aggressive to my ears.
It takes the send signal from the loop, which is earlier than the GEQ which gets it's signal from the master volume. Subtle differences, but
differences that can be heard. From a circuit perspective an EQ in the loop gets the send and return signal before the coloration of the V2A
(V2B on the schem, but it's wrong). It also interacts differently with the Pull Deep circuit. Again, it seems more aggressive. For fans of metal, they
might find it to be better than the narrower bands and the smoothness in the GEQ which seems to have a bit more natural tone. C+'s with the GEQ
option and ones without tonally is a subject for another day. If you can get one, just enjoy it.

Boogiebabies said:
C+'s with the GEQ
option and ones without tonally is a subject for another day. If you can get one, just enjoy it.

I've been reading up loads on this...seems to be some people that feel it just adds another transistor ( i think that's what they said) and you can notice the tonal difference...maybe not better or worse, but different none the less...I look forward to your thoughts on this someday :)

Fronzil said:
Boogiebabies said:
C+'s with the GEQ

I've been reading up loads on this...seems to be some people that feel it just adds another transistor ( i think that's what they said) and you can notice the tonal difference...maybe not better or worse, but different none the less...I look forward to your thoughts on this someday :)

If people worry about two buffers at unity gain then they would die if they knew what was in a boost pedal.
Let's just say all of the "Tone Sucking EQ" claimants do not have Eric Johnson's ears or the genius of Doug West to
drop the output coupling cap from 10uf to .22uf on the MK V. Like Henry Winkler covered in bee's !!!

I have a non GEQ and it can do everything. Metal tone is a very subjective thing. I like a lot of mids and mid gain for metal tones.
If you want to sound like Dream Theater and Metallica, putting an EQ in the loop would get you there, easily.

Sanctuary said:
I have a non GEQ and it can do everything. Metal tone is a very subjective thing. I like a lot of mids and mid gain for metal tones.
If you want to sound like Dream Theater and Metallica, putting an EQ in the loop would get you there, easily.

i agree 100%...the metal tones I like the best, are non scooped typically...maybe the slightest mid drop i guess

Latest posts

Back