Mini Rec vs Blackstar HT-5R tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auburnshredder

Reaction score
Anyone played through both of these...$600 difference between the amps.

Not even comparable I assume?

Suck it up and spend the money?

It's worth a try - we have a Dual Rec, a Rectoverb and a Blackstar HT Stage 60 (replaced speakers with v30 and G12H30).

The Blackstar can produce some pretty convincing recto tones. And the Blackstar cleans are REALLY nice.

I'm sure I'll get torched for this but you asked :)

Chris

Just to confirm, I do already have a TA-15, just didn't know if the mini-recto and TA-15 would be overkill.

Hughes and kettner tubemeister is worth a shout as well! Produces a pretty convincing chunky sound.

I have a mini rec and used to own an HT5. Apples and Oranges really. Not really fair to "compare" a $1000 with a $350 one. There is a reason for the price difference.

The HT5 is cool. It basically sounds like a nice distortion (not overdrive) pedal. This amp gives you clean OR high gain with nothing really usable in between. The cleans were better than I had expected. Very warm. I'd consider the HT5 a strictly practice amp. I suppose you could record with it as well.

The mini rec is much more versatile. More bells and whistles. Could probably keep up with a drummer. More head room, blah blah.

Neither is better than the other, they are different.

I have a HT-5R that I use as my practice amp. It is great for that but I'm considering ditching it and getting a mini recto as the blackstar just does not produce the kind of distortion that I'm after. The dirt channel became much more appealing after I changed out the "preamp" tube for a tung sol.

Two great things about the HT-5R is that it gets great tone at stupid low volume levels and takes pedals like a champ - all in all a great practice amp!

TimeSignature said:
The mini rec is much more versatile. More bells and whistles. Could probably keep up with a drummer. More head room, blah blah.

As a owner of the Mini, I can confirm that it CAN keep up with a drummer. :mrgreen: 25 watts on top of a 4x12 is loud enough.

Nice!

BenoA said:
TimeSignature said:

As a owner of the Mini, I can confirm that it CAN keep up with a drummer. :mrgreen: 25 watts on top of a 4x12 is loud enough.

Latest posts

Back